LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by verb1der:
That's what I mean. Once VD went out, Panthers sold out vs the run, and 49ers became one dimensional because there was no one to stretch the field outside of a possession receiver. They tried to stretch it with Vance Mcdonald, but he dropped the pass and there went Kaep's trust.

which is silly. 1 pass a game for him.

but if they sell out, then quick slant them to death and then beat them on a double move.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
That's what I mean. Once VD went out, Panthers sold out vs the run, and 49ers became one dimensional because there was no one to stretch the field outside of a possession receiver. They tried to stretch it with Vance Mcdonald, but he dropped the pass and there went Kaep's trust.

but if they sell out, then quick slant them to death and then beat them on a double move.

Harbaugh was FINALLY asked these types of questions today. Gotta give Grant Cohn some credit there.

First, he was asked why not use the screen more? Harbaugh's response was "that's not a bad point. Point well taken".

Then he was asked about bootlegs and he said, "that's something that is always in our game plane and that is another area we didn't have a good result. You bring up a good point, which frustrates everybody involved in the unit. When you're not in rhythm, picking up first downs and being able to get deeper in your playbook, get into the screen, get into the movement game, keep things off-balance. It's frustrating to all"

A few things come to mind here. For one, Harbaugh usually doesn't not acknowledge any questioning of the play calling, but this time he didn't blow it off.

The second thing is, does he realize that this is an on-going problem that hasn't been fixed yet? If so, it is because this unit is incapable of executing those plays, or they are not being implemented enough by the play caller.

I find it hard to believe that it's anything other than that because I seriously doubt that nobody in that locker room has brought it up in the past.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I will even somewhat entertain other arguments about Kap and him not playing well, and not hitting receivers, but the more I watch The Ducks game tape of LMJ, I become more incensed with anger.

For the record, LMJ was a healthy SCRATCH for 1/2 the season. The fact that this level of talent is sitting and we can't figure out a role is just beyond me - on an offense that has been slammed with injuries, you're telling me you couldn't do ANYTHING with him? Hunter comes back and again - can't find a way to get Hunter and Gore or Gore and LMJ on the field together? The fact that my OC can't do anything with a 2nd round draft pick just last season is an insult and warrants a complete question of his game planning abilities.

If I started watching the OSU highlights of Hunter, my head would probably explode.

Healthy Scratch.

Unbelievable.

You make a good point there. There is something wrong with our offensive game planning.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Harbaugh was FINALLY asked these types of questions today. Gotta give Grant Cohn some credit there.

First, he was asked why not use the screen more? Harbaugh's response was "that's not a bad point. Point well taken".

Then he was asked about bootlegs and he said, "that's something that is always in our game plane and that is another area we didn't have a good result. You bring up a good point, which frustrates everybody involved in the unit. When you're not in rhythm, picking up first downs and being able to get deeper in your playbook, get into the screen, get into the movement game, keep things off-balance. It's frustrating to all"

A few things come to mind here. For one, Harbaugh usually doesn't not acknowledge any questioning of the play calling, but this time he didn't blow it off.

The second thing is, does he realize that this is an on-going problem that hasn't been fixed yet? If so, it is because this unit is incapable of executing those plays, or they are not being implemented enough by the play caller.

I find it hard to believe that it's anything other than that because I seriously doubt that nobody in that locker room has brought it up in the past.

I think they are not game planning with these plays. Soooo, they don't want to run them if they didn't practice it in the prior week.

Looking at the line, it appears they don't practice pass blocking at all. And I'm not being sarcastic, this may actually be an issue.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I will even somewhat entertain other arguments about Kap and him not playing well, and not hitting receivers, but the more I watch The Ducks game tape of LMJ, I become more incensed with anger.

For the record, LMJ was a healthy SCRATCH for 1/2 the season. The fact that this level of talent is sitting and we can't figure out a role is just beyond me - on an offense that has been slammed with injuries, you're telling me you couldn't do ANYTHING with him? Hunter comes back and again - can't find a way to get Hunter and Gore or Gore and LMJ on the field together? The fact that my OC can't do anything with a 2nd round draft pick just last season is an insult and warrants a complete question of his game planning abilities.

If I started watching the OSU highlights of Hunter, my head would probably explode.

Healthy Scratch.

Unbelievable.

Couldn't agree more. Just to throw gas on the flame, Hunter was ridiculous in college.

I've been one of the ones on this board asking these questions about the offense ever since the game against Baltimore on Thanksgiving. It blows my mind that our "genius" OC cannot figure a way to get players not named Boldin, Gore, or Davis involved.

I won't compare our offense to ones ran by Brees, Rodgers, Brady, or Manning since Kap is not on that level but I will compare them to teams like Seattle, Arizona, Carolina, Philadelphia, and San Diego.

These are all teams that have had health issues just like the Niners and their QBs are not all-pro, yet somehow, we see players like Jermaine Kearse, Riley Cooper, Eddie Royal, Andre Ellington, Andre Roberts, Brandon Lafell, etc. all being utilized and impacting games.

It's maddening.

you can't do anything if you don't run it. everything in the nfl is about reps. that is always the factor in everything from player performance to play calling.
how many reps means how good or bad you can be at something. give them the reps. and then let's see. you can't randomly run a screen with dixon and then say see screens don't work.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I think they are not game planning with these plays. Soooo, they don't want to run them if they didn't practice it in the prior week.

Looking at the line, it appears they don't practice pass blocking at all. And I'm not being sarcastic, this may actually be an issue.

our line is simple. get them going forward and they're into the game. they thrive off of it. and then when you pass 2 things happen. 1 they have their feet wet and are into the game and 2 the defensive line isn't just bullrushing them because they have to respect the run.
Fat shiet!!
Couldn't agree more. Just to throw gas on the flame, Hunter was ridiculous in college.

I've been one of the ones on this board asking these questions about the offense ever since the game against Baltimore on Thanksgiving. It blows my mind that our "genius" OC cannot figure a way to get players not named Boldin, Gore, or Davis involved.

I won't compare our offense to ones ran by Brees, Rodgers, Brady, or Manning since Kap is not on that level but I will compare them to teams like Seattle, Arizona, Carolina, Philadelphia, and San Diego.

These are all teams that have had health issues just like the Niners and their QBs are not all-pro, yet somehow, we see players like Jermaine Kearse, Riley Cooper, Eddie Royal, Andre Ellington, Andre Roberts, Brandon Lafell, etc. all being utilized and impacting games.

It's maddening.

easy to see why cause roman is trash when it comes to imagining and utilizing talent. that's really the absolute answer
Roman is a good OC, just not elite... He gets his gameplans completely stonewalled and then calls plays out of his a$$ that are so predictable. I dont want a downgrade but with JH's connections we should be able to upgrade from this guy. He does his job amazingly 75% of the time... unfortunately the 25% where he gets his butt handed to him is during the most crucial games.

Those are interesting responses from Harbaugh. Maybe that's his way of criticizing the offensive game planning, and an indirect shot at his OC. I was just asking in another thread if Harbaugh might get himself more involved in the offensive game plan for NO.

you can't do anything if you don't run it. everything in the nfl is about reps. that is always the factor in everything from player performance to play calling.
how many reps means how good or bad you can be at something. give them the reps. and then let's see. you can't randomly run a screen with dixon and then say see screens don't work.

Agree completely. I appreciate that sometimes they are unorthodox and do things to surprise bad teams. Things like Dixon's return last week or the pass plays to Miller. The problem is that they are only this creative against bad teams and it is few and far between.

The problem is that it is very clear that they do not practice passing to the RB. With Rathman on the coaching staff I can't believe that he would not be able to help with that! He was one of the biggest successes out of the backfield for the Niners.

With someone so in tune with the WCO on your coaching staff, it blows my mind that we see no resemblance of that style of passing attack.

Once it has been implemented then practice the hell out of it! They clearly learned the read option by practicing it last year, why not do the same with plays that have worked for over thirty years?
OKAY FELLAHS! Since alot of people in the zone wants GRo to be fired. Any coaching candidates out there that you feel comfortable replacing this guy??

Imma go ahead and say I don't mind having Hue Jackson as an OC. He did a good job with Oakland as an OC not HC despite the lack of talent he had in Chokeland. I like his vertical attack and the way he utilized the RBs in the passing game with a lot of screens.

Anybody else good out there?
Agree completely. I appreciate that sometimes they are unorthodox and do things to surprise bad teams. Things like Dixon's return last week or the pass plays to Miller. The problem is that they are only this creative against bad teams and it is few and far between.

The problem is that it is very clear that they do not practice passing to the RB. With Rathman on the coaching staff I can't believe that he would not be able to help with that! He was one of the biggest successes out of the backfield for the Niners.

With someone so in tune with the WCO on your coaching staff, it blows my mind that we see no resemblance of that style of passing attack.

Once it has been implemented then practice the hell out of it! They clearly learned the read option by practicing it last year, why not do the same with plays that have worked for over thirty years?

and the problem is the play calling because every single one of our 3 backs is deadly catching passes out of the backfield and operating in space. that is in fact 2 of the 3 rb's strength. hunter with his 4.4 speed and james with his 4.3 speed on a linebacker= mismatch.

they scheme but they don't take advantage of clear mismatches we have week in and week out.

we should have made the panthers linebackers defend our rb and te and the game would have opened up.

the panthers secondary is actually their weak point. but if they can play off 10 yards while we get blitzed they look all world with our wr running to them instead of stopping in front of them
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
OKAY FELLAHS! Since alot of people in the zone wants GRo to be fired. Any coaching candidates out there that you feel comfortable replacing this guy??

Imma go ahead and say I don't mind having Hue Jackson as an OC. He did a good job with Oakland as an OC not HC despite the lack of talent he had in Chokeland. I like his vertical attack and the way he utilized the RBs in the passing game with a lot of screens.

Anybody else good out there?

it has to be in house.
i honestly don't think anything is horribly wrong with the playbook
liken it to someone with ferrari and an owners manual and when they get in the car they do everything wrong.
the instructions are right there laid out they just can't translate it to operation
Share 49ersWebzone