LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 455 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
lol when we win everyone loves this guy and when we lose hes the first to get buried lol

I wouldn't say everyone loves him, he'll get kudos for calling a good game but unfortunately when he's faced with a challenge, an above average/strong defense with a good DC that has an answer to his play calling, his brain goes to mush, he self implodes, doesn't respond, and makes absolutely NO adjustments. This is the third time in a row this season he's been responsible for the offensive woes and meltdowns which result to our losses. And between him and Chryst or whoever else is designing the passing plays, there's just no creativity there, it's so damn bland, predictable, and so far, ineffective at the NFL level. He deserves all the s**t he's getting.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
And the pattern repeats. Even the commentators were laughing at the last INT of only 2 receivers out and both ran to the same spot. LOL. So pathetic. Anyhow, like I said, we'll be in the playoffs each year with the college offense but we'll most likely never win the big one. All or nothing. 5-0 against crappy teams, 1-3 against good teams (at the time we play them). Coaching is always the difference in close games and even Fangio is clueless...with his usual mode of playing his CB's 50 yards off and back-pedaling on 3rd and 10 for simple 1st downs. Was there a REASON to play so far off? Did Newton even ATTEMPT a deep pass yesterday?

This team, when they lose, is a collective fail. God bless Brooks though...once again, he was the only one who showed up for a big game and was clutch.

Yup this team is never going to win in the playoffs, who cares that Harbaugh has won 3 playoff games and been to two NFC title games and a Superbowl in 2 years.. The coaching sucks and we will never win another playoff game again! And your right Fangio is cluess! Giving up 10 point to Carolina??? He should of been fired on the spot!
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM ]
Roman did call potato plays yesterday, but to be fair, what's a coordinator to do if the offense has piss poor execution, and the main weapon gets injured?

Game planning is one half, player effort is the other, just sayin.

K, carry on.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Roman is not developing as a OC in the NFL. I think the NFL has adjusted to his playcalling, and he hasn't been able to adjust.Dahl has even said that he's playcalling can be easily deciphered, well not in those words exactly. I remember him adding new wrinkles every week in 2011. What happen to this guy? He used to look really innovative. Maybe, he's keeping the better plays hidden for later in the season? That just seems too risky knowing the division tiltle is pivotal to playoff success. I do hope that's the case, because i don't want to believe that this is all Roman has in his arsenal.

Not buying the "he's saving better plays for later" stuff. People just want to believe that to feel better about our chances in the post season. And gimmicks won't help us next time anyway. We have to actually make the playoffs first. Can't just expect to make it there by default. We're losing games that we should win largely because of his bogus play calling but also poor execution by the players. Better has got to come NOW because at this point, this offense looks like a dumpster fire and we fall flat on our asses when we face good teams. We're two games behind Seattle now. I'm not believing for one second that the guy who is choking on a regular basis when faced with challenging defenses has tricks up his sleeve to take the league by storm by playoffs. More like, the rest of the league has figured him out and adjusted to his play calling and as a result, he's failing to make adjustments of his own to adapt to the NFL.
Roman gets ALL the blame while Harbs gets a pass. Harbs is HEAVILY involved in the game plan and every call. Spread the blame to both. Harbs is a conservative guy by nature. Look at his style in Stanford also. Its effective, but its a power run type philosophy. That's nice, but some times you gotta make a play throwing the ball. Vertically.
Adrian, a few pages back you wondered if Coach H has the guts to fire roman. Right now I wonder that myself. JH is afraid to make a mistake, yet he jerked alex last yr in midseason and started a guy with much more talent, but way less experience.. so JH can do it. But can he do it to his OC, who is just killing this team? I think Coach Harbaugh is afraid to fire roman. He is afraid that he won't be any better, hence resulting in all mistakes being placed squarely on his shoulders. I believe he is a sharp guy and knows that roman is a disaster....but is afraid to take the reigns himself, because if a screw up occur then, well, it was "roman's fault". Hell, plays already go thru JH. So he might as well get rid of our biggest opponent...roman....and suck up his guts and take charge of this team himself. I just don't see any other way around the roman disaster, but for reasons stated above, don't think Coach H will take the chance of firing roman and putting game calling all on his own back. I think he is understandably chicken to do that...yet that is the proper thing to do for this yr and still have a shot at winning it all. As we have seen, with roman, we have no shot..
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because when they win, its usually against crappier teams, and when they lose, its because the offense craps the bed and the playcalling is awful. I've been saying since late 2011 that Roman isn't all that amazing, he has a tendency of being predictable, people will get upset then the next time the 49ers beatdown a scrub like they did to Buffalo last season, people hop right back on the bandwagon, or GB earlier this season who was so obsessed with the read option that they sold out to stop that, and that alone.

Meanwhile, against better quality defenses, this offense is reliably mediocre, regardless of who's at QB. The Panthers game was highly reminiscent of the Rams games last season and the Ravens game the season before that. A defense stops the run, brings heavy pressure and Roman fails to adjust.....it isn't something that just happened once or twice, its a regular occurrence now.

This is what happens when you take a guy who was a college running game coordinator and make him an offensive coordinator in the NFL, your passing attack will resemble that of a basic, generic college offense. As far as I'm concerned, hiring Roman and hiring Morton have been Harbaugh's biggest miscues in his tenure with the 49ers.

they didn't even stopped the run yesterday we stopped running the ball which makes it even worse
Originally posted by verb1der:
Roman did call potato plays yesterday, but to be fair, what's a coordinator to do if the offense has piss poor execution, and the main weapon gets injured?

K, carry on.

what was wrong with gore? and we have multiple weapons but he just plain and simple doesn't want to use them clearly.

no screens for the blitz no quick passes to get rid of the pressure effecting us

and running gore 4 times in the 2nd half when we was destroying the panthers

that's why its on him.
I am listening to Barrows on Fitz and Brooks right now and he mentioned that Grant Cohn asked Harbaugh about the lack of screen passes and slants. Harbaugh apparently responded with "I don't know. Duly noted."

Please tell me this is not the first time anyone on that staff is noticing!
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

K, carry on.

what was wrong with gore? and we have multiple weapons but he just plain and simple doesn't want to use them clearly.

no screens for the blitz no quick passes to get rid of the pressure effecting us

and running gore 4 times in the 2nd half when we was destroying the panthers

that's why its on him.

Believe it or not, our running game was working until VD got injured. Once he left, there 9 men boxes. And Carolina was SMASHING people. Did you see the hit/fumble on Kendall Hunter? That play was made behind the LOS!

Again, give credit where it's due, the Panthers blew everything up.

For all this talk about Roman, I wonder about Mangini and what his actual input into the offensive plan is. He's supposed to help scheme what a defense will do against the Niners. Well, he's not doing a very good job.
Believe it or not, our running game was working until VD got injured. Once he left, there 9 men boxes. And Carolina was SMASHING people. Did you see the hit/fumble on Kendall Hunter? That play was made behind the LOS!

hunter is not a between the tackles guy. gore had 4 carries for 21 yards in the 2nd half.

4 carries, 21 yards. vd went out in the 1st half.
Originally posted by sking20854:
For all this talk about Roman, I wonder about Mangini and what his actual input into the offensive plan is. He's supposed to help scheme what a defense will do against the Niners. Well, he's not doing a very good job.

does roman strike you as the person who will listen to someone other than himself.

we know mangini knows how a defense will attack an offense.

we know that the problems we're having now are the same ones we've had since 2011

which is more likely, mangini submitting horrible plans or roman being incredibly stubborn and doing things his way?

hunter is not a between the tackles guy. gore had 4 carries for 21 yards in the 2nd half.

That's what I mean. Once VD went out, Panthers sold out vs the run, and 49ers became one dimensional because there was no one to stretch the field outside of a possession receiver. They tried to stretch it with Vance Mcdonald, but he dropped the pass and there went Kaep's trust.

That's what I mean. Once VD went out, Panthers sold out vs the run, and 49ers became one dimensional because there was no one to stretch the field outside of a possession receiver. They tried to stretch it with Vance Mcdonald, but he dropped the pass and there went Kaep's trust.

Well I'm not really sure that not calling enough run plays was the problem. We ran it pretty well in the first quarter or so, but we still couldn't convert on 3rd and short. Carolina has a really good run defense and a less good pass defense. They also have an average secondary. But we never took advantage of any matchups. Even before VD got hurt our pass offense was mediocre. On the play where VD was injured, that was the first time he was targeted I believe, and even had he not gotten hurt or lost the ball, the play would have resulted in, what, a 2 yard gain maximum? I don't see us calling plays that create space for our receivers. There were times when we could have used a hard play action to neutralize Carolina's aggressive run defense, but instead opted to run into a wall. As it stands right now, this offense is a joke.
Share 49ersWebzone