LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I only recall one slant to Manningham on a 3rd and long from our 5(?) yard line. The pass was completed for a 1st down. Still, on the last INT the play design had two SF wr's end their routes side by side....you could argue Kaep had no idea which guy to throw the ball to. WR blow a route? Or bad play design?

I noticed the same thing on the INT. Two WR's streaking down the field side by side. Made no sense whatsoever. One of them was supposed to make their break, while the other cleared the area by running a go route. When you see a QB throw an INT that awful, it's usually mis-communication.
Ok guys this comment is not made out of frustration, cos opening my eyes and seeing what happens happens is not frustration

I understand why roman was the running game coordinator at stanford
This guy was clueless in the passing game once again against a good opponent
At one point during the panthers game i thought i was watching jimmy raye's offense playcalling wise
Of course we miss vernon and crabtree but excuses are for loosers : see how well other teams fair with average wr's
He doesnt use mcdonald but once, same for lm james and hunter
Those guys could be threat in the passing game
Then the sucker stops calling running plays in the second half after gore ran for 75yds in 30min against the n°2 running D
Go figure
And of course it puts more pressure on kap... And he didnt design quick passes on three steps dropbacks
This guy's becoming McClueless

And i didnt talk about kap who looks like a rookie starting for his first gme when he's pressured, but thats another story in another thread...
The guy has a QB rating of 35 against winning teams this year
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
On that last INT, Kyle Williams ran the wrong route...... Then he lost his spacial awareness when the ball went up and drew attention to the throw.
Regardless, the route combination was pathetic.
GRoman is pathetic!!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The media overrates Roman big time. His college roommate, the GM for the Jags, chose not to hire him. You would think he would have been a slam dunk for that job. Offensive coach, fresh off SB appearance, experience working with a young QB. Even his close friend realized he wasn't the man for the job. Roman cannot devise a passing offense worth s**t. He is the master at turning 2nd & 1 into 3rd & long. f**k this guy.

I couldn't agree more!! That's also a great point about the gm with the jags. Roman needs to hit the guillotine!! He lost us the Super Bowl and 2games this season
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
after yesterday is this really a question anymore?
And the pattern repeats. Even the commentators were laughing at the last INT of only 2 receivers out and both ran to the same spot. LOL. So pathetic. Anyhow, like I said, we'll be in the playoffs each year with the college offense but we'll most likely never win the big one. All or nothing. 5-0 against crappy teams, 1-3 against good teams (at the time we play them). Coaching is always the difference in close games and even Fangio is clueless...with his usual mode of playing his CB's 50 yards off and back-pedaling on 3rd and 10 for simple 1st downs. Was there a REASON to play so far off? Did Newton even ATTEMPT a deep pass yesterday?

This team, when they lose, is a collective fail. God bless Brooks though...once again, he was the only one who showed up for a big game and was clutch.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
And the pattern repeats. Even the commntators were laughing at the last INT of only 2 receivers out and both ran to the same spot. LOL. So pathetic. Anyhow, like I said, we'll be in the playoffs each year with the college offense but we'll most likely never win the big one. All or nothing. 5-0 against crappy teams, 1-4 against good teams (at the time we play them). Coaching is always the difference in close games and even Fangio is clueless...with his usual mode of playing his CB's 50 yards off and back-pedaling on 3rd and 10 for simple 1st downs. Was there a REASON to play so far off? Did Newton even ATTEMPT a deep pass yesterday?

This team, when they lose, is a collective fail. God bless Brooks though...once again, he was the only one who showed up for a big game and was clutch.

Skuta, can't forget Skuta, he had a damn good game. Gore played well too for the most part, it's not his fault that the coaches keep going potato and stop giving him the ball, usually followed shortly after by the 49ers losing the game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And the pattern repeats. Even the commntators were laughing at the last INT of only 2 receivers out and both ran to the same spot. LOL. So pathetic. Anyhow, like I said, we'll be in the playoffs each year with the college offense but we'll most likely never win the big one. All or nothing. 5-0 against crappy teams, 1-4 against good teams (at the time we play them). Coaching is always the difference in close games and even Fangio is clueless...with his usual mode of playing his CB's 50 yards off and back-pedaling on 3rd and 10 for simple 1st downs. Was there a REASON to play so far off? Did Newton even ATTEMPT a deep pass yesterday?

Skuta, can't forget Skuta, he had a damn good game. Gore played well too for the most part, it's not his fault that the coaches keep going potato and stop giving him the ball, usually followed shortly after by the 49ers losing the game.

and our kicker and long snapper.. i also am sorry for doubting james on punt returns, without seeing the game i think we have that area fixed??
And the pattern repeats. Even the commentators were laughing at the last INT of only 2 receivers out and both ran to the same spot. LOL. So pathetic. Anyhow, like I said, we'll be in the playoffs each year with the college offense but we'll most likely never win the big one. All or nothing. 5-0 against crappy teams, 1-3 against good teams (at the time we play them). Coaching is always the difference in close games and even Fangio is clueless...with his usual mode of playing his CB's 50 yards off and back-pedaling on 3rd and 10 for simple 1st downs. Was there a REASON to play so far off? Did Newton even ATTEMPT a deep pass yesterday?

the defense gave up 2 scoring drives the entire game to a team averaging 30+

they completed a FEW passes but the defense did more than it's job yesterday this was supposed to be an easy win.

if roman knew what he was doing in the red zone the score would have been 21-10

if he had half a clue it would have been 13-10

but since he has no clue it was 10-9

we had 3 scoring drives and the panthers only had 2.

and we lost

Greg Roman apparently found Jimmy Raye old 49ers playbook at the 49er practice facility and used it against Carolina.
Roman is not developing as a OC in the NFL. I think the NFL has adjusted to his playcalling, and he hasn't been able to adjust.Dahl has even said that he's playcalling can be easily deciphered, well not in those words exactly. I remember him adding new wrinkles every week in 2011. What happen to this guy? He used to look really innovative. Maybe, he's keeping the better plays hidden for later in the season? That just seems too risky knowing the division tiltle is pivotal to playoff success. I do hope that's the case, because i don't want to believe that this is all Roman has in his arsenal.
lol when we win everyone loves this guy and when we lose hes the first to get buried lol
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
lol when we win everyone loves this guy and when we lose hes the first to get buried lol

that's what happens when you're the reason we lose. the direct reason we have all 3 losses this season.

no game has been on the defense, not 1
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Because when they win, its usually against crappier teams, and when they lose, its because the offense craps the bed and the playcalling is awful. I've been saying since late 2011 that Roman isn't all that amazing, he has a tendency of being predictable, people will get upset then the next time the 49ers beatdown a scrub like they did to Buffalo last season, people hop right back on the bandwagon, or GB earlier this season who was so obsessed with the read option that they sold out to stop that, and that alone.

Meanwhile, against better quality defenses, this offense is reliably mediocre, regardless of who's at QB. The Panthers game was highly reminiscent of the Rams games last season and the Ravens game the season before that. A defense stops the run, brings heavy pressure and Roman fails to adjust.....it isn't something that just happened once or twice, its a regular occurrence now.

This is what happens when you take a guy who was a college running game coordinator and make him an offensive coordinator in the NFL, your passing attack will resemble that of a basic, generic college offense. As far as I'm concerned, hiring Roman and hiring Morton have been Harbaugh's biggest miscues in his tenure with the 49ers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone