LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
idk if he's good or just benefits from a great OL and RB.

his lack of weapon usage makes me think he's not as good as we think.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

WHERE ARE THE SCREEN PASSES?
Originally posted by valrod33:

We tried 4 right? 1 to Boobie (fail), 2 to Hunter outside (fail) and 1 middle screen to Hunter (successful). Am I missing any? Oh, I guess you can consider the swing pass to Gore WHILE Miller was blocking within the 5 yards a screen.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
I think roman is a little schizo, almost like he tries to outsmart himself or something. When he tries to get to cute it turns into garbage but when he goes with staple plays they seem to work more often then not. Although I would agree we need to work some more screens in the game plans and work on getting more out of the playmakers on offense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

you should just be happy he got us to within 7 yards of a super bowl. sheesh
  • thl408

Watch the JAC game. You will see a screen pass to Gore. If you don't see it, then you are simply locked into a train of thought of "why don't they throw any screens!?". The play is funny because Iupati started blocking Goodwin, then Goodwin gives Iupati a shove as if to say "wtf are you doing, get downfield!", and continues to give it to Iupati after the play is over.

The 49ers OL are bad as running screens. They are great straight ahead blockers, but do not excel at getting into the open field and blocking, something that a successful screen pass requires. Roman knows this and ran a middle screen in the JAC game.

- the play happens at 3:51 of the 2Q.
[ Edited by thl408 on Oct 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

Watch the JAC game. You will see a screen pass to Gore. If you don't see it, then you are simply locked into a train of thought of "why don't they throw any screens!?". The play is funny because Iupati started blocking Goodwin, then Goodwin gives Iupati a shove as if to say "wtf are you doing, get downfield!", and continues to give it to Iupati after the play is over.

The 49ers OL are bad as running screens. They are great straight ahead blockers, but do not excel at getting into the open field and blocking, something that a successful screen pass requires. Roman knows this and ran a middle screen in the JAC game.

Hilarious. I do agree as well that we are slow to get outside with the OL and it blows up even further with small, weak WR's who can't help seal that edge. Middle screens and flare/swing passes are better for this offense, no doubt!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Bold prediction

Leslie Frazier is fired in Minnesota.

Greg Roman is hired as his replacement and they build a power running machine built around AP and make the playoffs as a wildcard.
i dont think he's as bad as some are making him out to be.

I only say this from a few interviews over the last 8 weeks.

I remember in the beginning of the year when we lost, then when we won. and someone asked him if there was a problem with the offense or offensive playcalling.

and he was like, "No, the playcalling is fine, it's just the execution."

We tried to be something that we aren't just yet, which is a pass first team because of kaep's rocket arm. so that called for one type of offensive playcalling.

Now we went back to our bread and butter which is a Heavy dose of Gore, complimented by kaep. which is another offense.

So all in all, we've seen two types of playcalling, while we were going thru our growing pains of an identity.

Now that we have one, and have been racking up the points, there's no way we cant say it isnt the playcalling, and execution.

So furthermore, once again, I dont think he's the greatest, but he is good IMHO
We've won 5 straight and are eclipsing 30 points a game.

We are dominating time of possession.

We are bringing in backups in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

We are dominating yards per game.

Clear indications Roman is blind as a bat about calling screen passes as the next level

But this game plan of ground and pound and little more (which is not accurate) won't work against a high scoring-passing offense huh!?

Green Bay? Different game plan? Did you see it? We won that too?

Seems to me Roman clearly doesn't recognize what game plan fits each game, can't make adjustments, doesn't realize we must have more screen passes, and outsmarts himself.

6-2

• thl408
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
i dont think he's as bad as some are making him out to be.

I only say this from a few interviews over the last 8 weeks.

I remember in the beginning of the year when we lost, then when we won. and someone asked him if there was a problem with the offense or offensive playcalling.

and he was like, "No, the playcalling is fine, it's just the execution."

We tried to be something that we aren't just yet, which is a pass first team because of kaep's rocket arm. so that called for one type of offensive playcalling.

Now we went back to our bread and butter which is a Heavy dose of Gore, complimented by kaep. which is another offense.

So all in all, we've seen two types of playcalling, while we were going thru our growing pains of an identity.

Now that we have one, and have been racking up the points, there's no way we cant say it isnt the playcalling, and execution.

So furthermore, once again, I dont think he's the greatest, but he is good IMHO

Roman's tenure as the OC for the 49ers will forever be remembered for his brainfart while on the biggest stage. No one cares to remember the calls he made to beat DET on a last second pass to DWalker, or the 4th quarter calls he made vs NO in the playoffs, or the comeback effort he called in ATL. I don't blame anyone for only remembering what happened last February as it's still fresh in our minds. Until he redeems himself on the biggest stage, he will be known as a potato to the 49er fanbase.

We know how Kyle will be remembered. Roger Craig, if he wasn't such a badass RB, would have been remembered for a bad fumble that cost the 49ers a trip to the SB. There are polarizing moments that can define a player's/coach's career. Roman's happens to be a very painful one.
Originally posted by thl408:

- the play happens at 3:51 of the 2Q.

its probably because they don't get any real reps at screens, they probably run it once or twice in camp and then call it in the games lol. can't be good if you don't do it repeatedly

i think we'll see more as the season goes on especially with jim saying they want lmj in the mix. those have to be edge runs like the ones hunter had and screens which is his specialty. they'll come around.
I wish I could take Coach at his word, about refiguring the team, and more LMJ. Usually, what he says ends up being subterfuge. My only hope for the 2nd half is to get vance, Baldwin, LmJ in the game and use them as targets. Until they are used, we have no idea of what they can do. It is the singular most ridiculous thing that Coach H does. Jeez, he drafts and trades (with Trent) like a madman. Look at our acquisitions just these past 2 yrs.
Eric Reid,
Traimaine,
vance
lemonier,
Baldwin( turning a lemon , AJ , into lemonade)....and then not using him in passing game. Weird.
BOLDIN, for which AB 81, and the rest of us will be eternally grateful,
LmJ
Dorsey
plus our injured guys,now coming off injury list (Tank,etc).

Looking at acquisitons just this yr is stunningly fantastic. Not using the shiny red toys , I think , is just an awful mistake. JH can improve this O immeasurably if he takes advantage of all the pieces on the board, which he has not. The use of Kyle has been disappointing to most of us, when LMJ could easily have had his number called. But LMJ is NOT a #4 RB. He has plenty of uses elsewhere. And while at it, get Hunter those passes that went to kyle. He is a good hands guy like vance, Baldwin. We had one helluva load the first 3 games. We won one, just not the one I thot. We are now hitting on all cylinders, unfortunately that is a V6 and we are a V8. The interesting discussions about is kap not ready or is it HaRo not ready to call other guy's numbers will as thL says, become evident in second half. Here's to seeing more of the team used to maximal use. LIke NC said, running into box 10 , 11 or 8....that is great time for kap to check off with audible, something we didn't see in games 3 or 2. We are going to see box 10 against N.O. and SEA. We gotta have an answer for that at LOS. I hope HaRo are working with kap now while we have a break.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM ]
nope
Originally posted by sfout:
Bold prediction

Leslie Frazier is fired in Minnesota.

Greg Roman is hired as his replacement and they build a power running machine built around AP and make the playoffs as a wildcard.

Now that IS bold!
Share 49ersWebzone