LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I think the passing game needs to become more diverse and consistent. That's a requirement to go deep in the playoffs -- which means beating at least one good team that is playing well, i.e. a Seattle, New Orleans, or the random team that gets hot on Dec 7 and winds up playing the best football of anyone for the last 6 weeks....

I didn't get that sense of consistency in the passing game today, but I didn't see it. I'll wait til its posted.

the passing game is excellent imo.

we don't have our top guys in. and we still get big chunk plays. 10 completions for 160+ yards.

even in the texans game he had 6 completions for 115 yards...

we don't need to throw it more

the only thing we need to do is punch it in when we get to the red zone. we see the huge difference between field goals and touch downs.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I think the passing game needs to become more diverse and consistent. That's a requirement to go deep in the playoffs -- which means beating at least one good team that is playing well, i.e. a Seattle, New Orleans, or the random team that gets hot on Dec 7 and winds up playing the best football of anyone for the last 6 weeks....

I didn't get that sense of consistency in the passing game today, but I didn't see it. I'll wait til its posted.

I'd also like to see our passing game become more diverse and consistent, but I'm not so sure now is the time to try it. We'll be more comfortable attempting more passes when we get better players running routes. More legitimate passing options will lead to a better, more diverse passing offense. We need to get healthy at WR first.

Right now it's Boldin, Davis, and a bunch of bums. Williams, Baldwin, and Moore are not good receivers. They are end of the roster types. Do you really want to give any of these guys large roles offensively? Personally, I'm perfectly fine with throwing the ball 15-20 times a game, running the football, and winning games by 20+ points.
  • thl408
Kap's first pass of the game vs JAX was a trick play. As they are subbing guys in and out, 2 jog onto the field, 3 jog out of the huddle. It happens fast as the player lineups are being announced during the telecast. One of the three jogging off was Miller. Kap half ass calls a play, basically just getting together and clapping hands. They line up quick and Miller is chillin all by himself near the sideline as the ball is snapped. VD, Gore, no one is running routes. It was the play to open the passing with. Miller for 43 yards. Which coach thought of that? Stupid genius kind of stuff.
Originally posted by thl408:
Kap's first pass of the game vs JAX was a trick play. As they are subbing guys in and out, 2 jog onto the field, 3 jog out of the huddle. It happens fast as the player lineups are being announced during the telecast. One of the three jogging off was Miller. Kap half ass calls a play, basically just getting together and clapping hands. They line up quick and Miller is chillin all by himself near the sideline as the ball is snapped. VD, Gore, no one is running routes. It was the play to open the passing with. Miller for 43 yards. Which coach thought of that? Stupid genius kind of stuff.

if he runs 30 power runs and 25 more than 1 wr route plays he can have a trick play a game in the very beginning that's more than fair
when roman is good, hes good. when hes bad, hes really bad. he seems to have figured it out though in the last 5 games and I cant complain
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
when roman is good, hes good. when hes bad, hes really bad. he seems to have figured it out though in the last 5 games and I cant complain

And he tends to s**t the bed at the absolute worst possible moments !!!

But I do agree that he's been calling some good games lately and I'm not complaining. I just hope he watched that Hawks-Rams game tonight and took some notes for next time.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

And he tends to s**t the bed at the absolute worst possible moments !!!

But I do agree that he's been calling some good games lately and I'm not complaining. I just hope he watched that Hawks-Rams game tonight and took some notes for next time.

i think that game was an anomaly. we didnt play our game for some stupid reason and tried to throw way too much. even with no receivers were putting up 30 consistently, our oline is playing its ass off and Gore looks like the best back in football at 30! kap is getting better every week and he'll be even better when he gets crabs and manningham back. I think seattle better be scared of us the way were playing now and how mediocre theyve looked lately. i think theyre the luckiest team in the league the way theyre having other teams give them victories in the stupidest ways
We are scoring thirty because our d + special teams are contributing so much. Won't last forever. Will be harder against good teams.

Look. I agree our receiving corps is still developing. But we could be doing more with it.

Roman got a lot of high marks against Jacksonville, but he is doing everything but scripting in the bread and butter 8 yard slants curls etc.

He got high marks for the sleeper play with Miller. But really? A trick sleeper play is our biggest pass gainer against the 0-8 Jags? Really?

Look, I'm glad it worked. But our people can't be that bad. I keep coming back to this lack of consistency and control in the passing game as a real red flag to our going deep in the playoffs. The longer we go with out success here, the more nervous I get.

I know we're winning. Winning comfortably. But the way we're winning doesn't make me feel like we can go against the best teams and be successful.

I don't want to read too much in a 42-10 game that was 28-0 in 2nd quarter. But it's just another week where I don't see what I should be seeing. We'll find out in a few weeks what's going on.
maybe it's the 6-2 talking, or the 5 wins in a row with 30+ points, who knows...but I love Roman right now
I agree with both parties on this one. I'm very happy we got back to our identity. I hope to God that Roman was watching the Rams/Hawks game last night as a perfect blue print to beating the Hawks.

As to our passing game, no doubt, I think we'd all like it to be more diverse and consistent. Personally, I'd like it to be more QB-friendly. I think CK is off-the-charts but is hamstrung by the play calling and really, is at the mercy of HaRoMan here. Guys such as Baldwin, McDonald and Hunter should be utilized MUCH more in the passing game and s/h/b used more over the past 4 or 5 games and developing for the final stretch run after the bye week. Both Baldwin (on the edge and out in space) and McDonald (in-line and out in space) are fantastic run blockers now. Now incorporate them more into the passing game. Hunter on middle screens or flare outs would be unstoppable. Williams would never see the field save for the slot and as an outlet for CK.

I'd just like to see more pro-style progressions and outlets built into the passing game with a heavy emphasis on diversity, consistency, timing, jump balls, ad lib plays and RZ efficiency. I'd also like to see an added emphasis on the deep post or go pattern. Can you name the last time we completed or even attempted a bomb? They were mentioning in the game last night that Wilson and Baldwin missed on a deep pass a few games back so they hit the practice field the next day and practiced that play 50 times until perfected. Does CK work with Baldwin, McDonald, Hunter, Boldin, VD, etc. this way?

If we don't become more diversified and consistent and perfect this part of the offense, it WILL bite us in the ass against much better teams esp. in the playoffs. We're rolling now and obviously, haven't needed to pass much to win with the help of a stellar run game, defense and ST scoring points for us and/or setting us up nicely.

But all a defense needs to do is stop our ground game with 8 in the box and stuff the annointed receiver (Boldin and/or VD) at the LOS and we're screwed. We can't ignore this fact. We have GOT to work on the other areas to combat this and playing against our defense in practice, there should be NO excuses not to become elite and more well-rounded.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:54 AM ]

Speaking of HaRoMan, maybe the secret of Mangini is that he is a Roman whisperer...he convinced Roman to keep running until they stop us?

(disclaimer: this is pure speculation)
[ Edited by swayze on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:59 AM ]
Originally posted by swayze:
Speaking of HaRoMan, maybe the secret of Mangini is that he is a Roman whisperer...he convinced Roman to keep running until they stop us?

You know, that's fair. I've been wondering his exact role for a while now. Roman seems to have tunnel vision at times and clearly, the offensive game plan is comprised of 30 different people's input. Why? It's not like that wih Fangio. So given the obvious poor patterns we had last year, I thought having an extra set of eyes to review our personnel, our team, our philosophy and speak from a DC's perspective WHILE learning our offense would be a good asset esp. during game days up in the booth. From his own comments, it sounds like Roman typically just sticks to the game plan rather than play the in-game version of chess. His entire argument for why we didn't stick to the run against the Colts was that b/c of all the 3 and outs, we just never got to those plays again (on his game day script). Robotic. That's where I felt Mangini would make his money...someone that can say, "Hey dude, everyone in the world can see we are dominating in the run game right now so let's wear them out with it and THEN get to your passing game script in the 2nd half."
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swayze:

it would make sense. someone has to keep a leash on roman to keep him from becoming the nutty professor. maybe eric is in charge of romans meds.
Originally posted by cciowa:
it would make sense. someone has to keep a leash on roman to keep him from becoming the nutty professor. maybe eric is in charge of romans meds.

i can totally see a difference.

chances are eric advised him and submitted a huge report and roman treated it like it was a demo tape and tossed it in the trash and did what he wanted to do, especially after the packers game which he had been game planning for all off season.

and then in 2 games we put up 10 points.

and there was a meeting.

Eric why didn't you advice Greg?

they both look at each other, and greg says there was a clerical error .

from that point on he's been actually listening to Mangini's thoughts on the defense and what they're trying to do. He's not trying to be the offensive coordinator but I think Roman felt threatened and tried to show he was still the man and didn't need any help.

Now I think he sees mangini for what he is. A defensive coordinator telling you how he would stop you and where he would attack you, and you get to be the offensive coordinator that basically knows the other teams game plan and can exploit everything they were trying to do
hopefully they keep this up
[ Edited by jonesadrian on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone