LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by zugschef:
Best argument for Roman's ineptitude is the fact that the Niners abandoned the run game against the Colts in the 2nd half, although they were averaging 8 yards a carry, and didn't trail more than 6 until the 3rd drive of the 4th quarter.

Yeah, that was a bad moment.

He is not without fault. He does get too cute sometimes. Though that's in the past and we're 5-2 and he's taken us to an NFC Championship game and a Super Bowl with 2 different QBs. He gets results.
thl from 2 pages back, you noted changing from alex to CK midstream was ballsy or NOT conservative. Agreed. Conservative is having
BOLDIN VANCE VERNON BALDWIN on the team and not using them...hell, hardly using a glue fingered huge guy (#89) at all. And that, is CONSERVATIVE.

Like Command said, "Where the hell is the rest of the team?" And I put it to you, yeah, where the hell are they. Basically they are used as blockers, decoys, or duds, and just flat azz not used. That is going to be a colossal error when we visit the Crescent City's Superdome. Payton will 10 and 11 man us to death on LOS, and if rock head roman continues to run into that, well, we lose. Pure and simple. JH has to have a check off for kap at LOS against a box 10 or 11, or 8. Running frank into that will net us 70 yds in 25 carries, but no win. That is what I mean by conservative...and to go all the way...we are going to have to see that fundamental change be made.
One thing I do feel is bad though is how he does not use Frank very well. He's like an afterthought to go to when things don't workout with Kap. I think we can win with Frank touching the ball 18 times in the backfield and 10 times in the air.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
One thing I do feel is bad though is how he does not use Frank very well. He's like an afterthought to go to when things don't workout with Kap. I think we can win with Frank touching the ball 18 times in the backfield and 10 times in the air.

we're 3rd in rushing, i think we're using frank just fine. besides, i thought you wanted our passing game to get better
  • thl408
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
thl from 2 pages back, you noted changing from alex to CK midstream was ballsy or NOT conservative. Agreed. Conservative is having
BOLDIN VANCE VERNON BALDWIN on the team and not using them...hell, hardly using a glue fingered huge guy (#89) at all. And that, is CONSERVATIVE.

Like Command said, "Where the hell is the rest of the team?" And I put it to you, yeah, where the hell are they. Basically they are used as blockers, decoys, or duds, and just flat azz not used. That is going to be a colossal error when we visit the Crescent City's Superdome. Payton will 10 and 11 man us to death on LOS, and if rock head roman continues to run into that, well, we lose. Pure and simple. JH has to have a check off for kap at LOS against a box 10 or 11, or 8. Running frank into that will net us 70 yds in 25 carries, but no win. That is what I mean by conservative...and to go all the way...we are going to have to see that fundamental change be made.

Whether Vance and Baldwin get targets or not has no correlation to how 'conservative' an offense is, in my definition of the word. Vance and Baldwin will get their limited targets for now. Once Kap can regularly get to a 3rd and 4th read, then they'll get more targets. They sure aren't the first or second read at the moment. For a team (QB) that doesn't pass much, they (he) want to maximize the potential of success on the few pass plays they call. VD and Boldin have formations and plays where they get featured. I see nothing wrong with scheming to get your top playmakers the ball, at the risk of not getting others involved.

They take their shots downfield. They regularly go for it when it's 3rd and long. There was a WR end around called in two recent games. Had something went wrong, we'd be questioning why give it to Moore/Kyle on that type of play. My opposite of conservative would be risky.

I think there's such a thing as a risky run game. When the opponent stacks the box, and you still try to run it. Because if it works, it mindf**ks the opponent. The second layer can be thin so if you can get past it, big gains are there. Remember the 30 yard TD run Gore had in the Rams game on 4th and 1? It was a 9 man box and they still ran it. That's risky. It's not to say they don't have conservative moments. When they sat on a 24-0 lead to close the half vs HOU, calling a draw play on 3rd and pass it, but I see an offense that leans toward the risky side than the conservative.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Roman is lousy.

Its why the 49ers havent made the playoffs or been to a Superbowl since he's been here.

did you like what took place when we were to within five yards of a touchdown in the super bowl? how did your boy do then? i guess you are just happy with getting close

That was more Kap choking then bad play calling from Roman.
the word denial wants to leap off of my keyboard but i will restrain myself,,,, my god
he did so much good today. he's coming around let's hope he keeps a level head and continues this trend.

more vance

and more hunter

let's keep it going all the way to being what we could and should be
Called a clean game today.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Called a clean game today.

Yup, called a great game.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we're 3rd in rushing, i think we're using frank just fine. besides, i thought you wanted our passing game to get better

The passing game is fine according to some. I worry about when we are forced to pass the ball. Will Harbaugh and roman do it? No, they probably won't. 167 yards through the air won't get it done against N.O. Or Seattle. Have to have more than that. Maybe I'm nuts for expecting more, I dunno, but I hope to god we get more yards through the air I this second half of the season than we did in the first half.

Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:

The passing game is fine according to some. I worry about when we are forced to pass the ball. Will Harbaugh and roman do it? No, they probably won't. 167 yards through the air won't get it done against N.O. Or Seattle. Have to have more than that. Maybe I'm nuts for expecting more, I dunno, but I hope to god we get more yards through the air I this second half of the season than we did in the first half.

What happened when we were forced to pass in week 1? lol
Meh...we will be fine as long as we have Harbaugh.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:

I think the passing game needs to become more diverse and consistent. That's a requirement to go deep in the playoffs -- which means beating at least one good team that is playing well, i.e. a Seattle, New Orleans, or the random team that gets hot on Dec 7 and winds up playing the best football of anyone for the last 6 weeks....

I didn't get that sense of consistency in the passing game today, but I didn't see it. I'll wait til its posted.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

What the heck has Jon Baldwin or Vance McDonald ever done in the NFL to be considered unutilized weapons?
How can you say we are not using Anquan Boldin and Vernon Davis? They're on pace for over 1,000 yards receiving each and nearly 20 combined TDs.

Where is the rest of the team? You mean Crabs and Manningham?

Roman screwed up our first three games, but he has been on a tear since.
Share 49ersWebzone