There are 245 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LVJay:
The Big Twinkie is an expert at doing what HARBAUGH ALLOWS him to do... they both are sucking it right now!!

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Here's a fact that I feel very confident in: every fanbase has huge issues with their head coach's / offensive coordinator's playcalling. I go to a couple of other message boards that are filled with fans of all teams, and, I swear to you, this post the exact same complaints, nearly verbatim.

"Darrell Bevell is terrible. He cost us the game."
"John Fox is terrible. We built a huge lead and then played it safe and almost squandered the lead. He's always so conservative when we build a lead." (following Colts / Broncos in week 1)
etc...

I think OC's are just easy scapegoats. If the players don't execute, it doesn't matter what play is called. Let's be real, we had some very long (10-15 play, 5-7 minute) drives in this game. Kaep deserves more blame than anyone. If you turn the ball over FOUR times, you're going to lose. Period.

This and then some. If the offense gets too conservative, if it doesn't show killer instinct it is not all on the playcaller, he is just an easy scapegoat for fans. Nothing stops Harbaugh from telling Roman in game to get more aggressive with the playcaling or to keep his foot on the gas. This is Jim Harbaugh's football team not Greg Romans, and this is Jim Harbaugh's offense.
he is tied to this as well. they need to grow a pair of nuts and stop being scared to go out there and take games from people. we have the talent to do it. we should be sitting at 2-0 with 2 laugh blow out victories. the defense did it's job last night but it's going to show up as 28 in the box score and it shouldn't be.
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
And I'll stab somebody if we hand it to Miller instead of hyde in short yardage again

or gore or run a sneak with kap or run play action bootleg for an easy 1st down or a number of things that make more sense.

roman being cute cost us a ring LITERALLY

no idea why people don't understand he'll cost us regular games.

we abandon the run up 17-0 we don't make them PAY

we dont run bunch formations we don't make it hard to cover we don't run power in the red zone we don't run our bread and butter play action stuff out of tight formations

we just don't things that we know work for no reason other than the dude just doesn't want to do them.

I feel your pain it was disgusting to watch. Abandoned what worked and lets keep Kap back there running for his life!!!! SMH

tell me how the bears were going to stop a bunch formation with crab boldin and johnson together with any of the other tight ends on the other side? how many screens could we have thrown out there with double tight ends to block just to extend drives and take time off the clock. if they're going to stack the line make them play zone behind it and also run zone busting pass plays. it's not that big of an adjustment to make.

if they practice stopping the read option, don't stay in the pistol. go smash mouth and break their will.

the mismanagement of talent is completely shocking and unacceptable. it was this bad.
I would love to point back to an article I read last year. It is utterly disgusting that this Peter Griffin impersonator cannot figure out how to mix this into the offense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1895941-disproving-that-a-screen-game-doesnt-fit-the-san-francisco-49ers
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
Here's a fact that I feel very confident in: every fanbase has huge issues with their head coach's / offensive coordinator's playcalling. I go to a couple of other message boards that are filled with fans of all teams, and, I swear to you, this post the exact same complaints, nearly verbatim.

"Darrell Bevell is terrible. He cost us the game."
"John Fox is terrible. We built a huge lead and then played it safe and almost squandered the lead. He's always so conservative when we build a lead." (following Colts / Broncos in week 1)
etc...

I think OC's are just easy scapegoats. If the players don't execute, it doesn't matter what play is called. Let's be real, we had some very long (10-15 play, 5-7 minute) drives in this game. Kaep deserves more blame than anyone. If you turn the ball over FOUR times, you're going to lose. Period.
This place is getting comical. At the end of the 2012 Super Bowl and the 2013 NFC championship game when passing failed to score at the end 95% of the zone said "We have Frank Gore a future Hall of Famer why didn't run the damn ball 3 straight times?" Now running fails, and it is "Why weren't we passing the ball?"
Also has anyone ever heard of doing the unexpected? How many times did Walsh and Montana catch opponents off guard by throwing deep on 3rd or 4th and short?
Originally posted by NCommand:
3 straight runs up the middle inside the 6...all TFL...even with Iupati, Boone and Kilgore. Sad. The Bears were selling out and we didn't make them pay...FG. Game over after that.

Worst play calling I've seen
Looked like the Bears knew what was coming on some plays.If Conte is jumping routes, something is predictable.

Bears talent on defense should have been totally overwhelmed by the Niners talent on offense. Bears out coached Harbaugh/Roman and co.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Looked like the Bears knew what was coming on some plays.If Conte is jumping routes, something is predictable.

Bears talent on defense should have been totally overwhelmed by the Niners talent on offense. Bears out coached Harbaugh/Roman and co.

The degree of stubbornness shown by Harbaugh and Roman is mind numbing. Jim Harbaugh was given the luxury of having one of the best defenses in the league when he took over. You can win a lot of games in the NFL with a stellar defense. You can play conservative run first offense, operate well between the 30s, kick field goals and still win a good chunk of football games.

But a good coach knows that nothing stays the same in the NFL. You need to be nimble and flexible to stay on top. He's not. Jim Harbaugh is STUBBORN. He is NOT doing a good job staying head of the 8 Ball. Playing vanilla flavored football will get you fired.

To Roman's credit, he dialed up his best game of the season last year in Arizona. He'll need to do the same if we are to win next Sunday. But I'm worried. Do we see a collective shrug of the shoulders from Harbaugh and Roman? Will we get the same vanilla flavored t*rd that we just witnessed yesterday? I pray not!
[ Edited by pete98146 on Sep 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:

The degree of stubbornness shown by Harbaugh and Roman is mind numbing. Jim Harbaugh was given the luxury of having one of the best defenses in the league when he took over. You can win a lot of games in the NFL with a stellar defense. You can play conservative run first offense, operate well between the 30s, kick field goals and still win a good chunk of football games.

But a good coach knows that nothing stays the same in the NFL. You need to be nimble and flexible to stay on top. He's not. Jim Harbaugh is STUBBORN. He is NOT doing a good job staying head of the 8 Ball. Playing vanilla flavored football will get you fired.

To Roman's credit, he dialed up his best game of the season last year in Arizona. He'll need to do the same if we are to win next Sunday. But I'm worried. Do we see a collective shrug of the shoulders from Harbaugh and Roman? Will we get the same vanilla flavored t*rd that we just witnessed yesterday? I pray not!

Agree 100%. At some point though players are going to revolt, like when Gore yelled at Harbaugh on the sidelines after the Colts game for not getting the ball. My fear is that the players are past that point, stopped caring enough to complain and are biding their time, because they know Roman isn't going anywhere. OTOH I think that Baalke/York didn't give Harbaugh an extension because of that same reason.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by teylo31:
Its funny how everyone thought everything was fine last weekend and now look how our philosophy bit us in ashhule

This game would have played out exactly like the Dallas game if we don't turn the ball over. Everyone is frustrated with the lack of offensive consistency and inability to put teams away, but all we had to do was protect the ball and win the game. Kap f**ked it up big time tonight. The scheme didn't cause those turnovers, he did.

As much as I agree with an individual player's need to perform at a high level, there is a greater responsibility by the coaches to monitor the overall tempo of a game. When you see your player or players not having a good night, then you must adjust the game plan to compensate. My greatest problem with this coaching staff - and Harbaugh is accountable here too - there isn't even an attempt to make life better on offense. It was clear the Bears were prepared for the read option and bootlegs - ie focus on a running Kapernick. Continuing to run a game-plan on offense that played into the hands of the Bears defense just didn't put players in the best place for padding their lead. IMHO, there are no more excuses for the lack of creativity, adjustments. It's not a talent issue. You can't cry "we don't have the weapons". Flaring out Bruce Miller is unacceptable when you have 3 #1 receivers. It's the same approach - and we deserved to lose this.

Yes Kap should have not had the turnovers. However, why is Derek Carrier the #1 option on passing plays? Given the extremely poor pass-blocking (and I have my own bone to pick with the overrated Solari), bubble screens, WR screens and short passes weren't even part of adjustments. We kept going for the 5 and 7 step drops, the deep outs instead of trying to expose the safeties who were injured sideline to sideline. Not one screen to a RB.

I agree with what someone who posted last night.....

"The offense is broken at a fundamental level."

Agree with a lot of that. It is the coaches responsibility to make adjustments when the gameplan is not working. They probably could have ran power up the middle against a loaded box all 2nd half, eliminated the turnovers, and held off the Bears to win the game. It wouldn't be pretty, and the fans would complain about sitting with the lead, but at least we would have won the game.

Sill no excuse for Kap. The turnovers killed us, and those were completely on him. He forced the issue. We can make the case the coaches lost control of the game, but we also want to see progression from Kap. We want to see him pass effectively and consistently against a team that is selling out against the run. We gave him a shot and he unraveled. No reason for those turnovers.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
All OC in my opinion are equal...

They all are geniuses because of who their awesome QB is.. the QB makes them look good.. too bad, we don't have a QB that's a real star..

No one was complaining of our OC when Kap was running over everyone..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

They all are geniuses because of who their awesome QB is.. the QB makes them look good.. too bad, we don't have a QB that's a real star..

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 9moon:

lol
Originally posted by pete98146:

Romans best game last year was at Arizona? A game that saw the Niners go 44 minutes without scoring after going ahead 17-0 in the first quarter...also after going ahead 17-0 there was only 1 drive that lasted more than 5 plays out of the next 8.

How many times do we have to hear people talk about this. From the Rams to the Vikings to the Seahawks, you've got players, coaches and fans alike saying "wow, we totally saw that coming." Its really gotten old. You'd think if they heard enough that the offense was utterly predictable, that they'd change some things up finally but no.
Share 49ersWebzone