LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Have we had a top 20 offense since Roman and Harbaugh have been here?
Originally posted by ace52:
It's really criminal the way this team wasted long drives that got us to the 10-yard line. Then we ran 3 straight run plays right into the strength of their defense, got stuffed, and settled for FGs. Roman should look at how the Bears scored those quick touchdowns and learn how to take full advantage of every precious trip to the red zone.
It's like our coaching staff, Roman especially, get a brain-lock every time we get to within 10 yards of the goal line

we have a super bowl loss that proves this to be true.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
This is so, so true and critical. We just don't know what to do when someone has figured out our game plan. And I mean NO adjustments. If they are stuffing the run up the middle and crashing the LOS with the safety up - how about a WR screen? You have 3 "# 1s" starting. I expect a bit more creativity now. Every pass and positive yard doesn't need to be on a deep cross or a back shoulder throw to the outside hash.

The same issues as always are present. Great offensive playcallers force the defense to spread out, they utilize every single inch of the playing field, attacking vertically and horizontally. They find weaknesses in the defense and attack those weaknesses until the defense adapts, once they have adapted, they find a new weakness in the defense and exploit that and so on.........

This offense on the other hand seems to allow defenses to compress to cover the least amount of actual field.

Some of the great stuff, the spread looks and other successful things from last week, just completely vanished in favor of the read option and other gimmicky b******t. You can't run an offense "week to week", you need to have a strong cohesive identity that is maintained from game to game. Obviously you'll make adjustments for each opponent but I kind of feel like even the coaches aren't sure of what kind of offense this is anymore.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 14, 2014 at 10:39 PM ]
until we get an oc that wants to put up 40 points a game instead of an oc who wants to take it easy this is what's going to happen.

the defense really did do it's job tonight. people are going to point to the defense but cutler ended up with 176 yards passing and 4 short field touchdowns

forte averaged 1.8 yards a carry one of the top backs in the nfl.

the offense
killed us
Jimmy Raye's brother from another mother
Buffalo puts up 200 yards rushing on the Bears

Gore and Hyde don't even combine for 20 carries
  • dj43
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think Roman was banking on the Bears struggling against the read option like they did last week. The Bears didn't and we didn't know what to do.

The utterly predictable thing. The Bears expected read option, the 49ers came out with read option. The Bears loaded the box up and dared the 49ers to chuck the ball downfield, the 49ers couldn't.

I've completely given up on the idea of Roman going anywhere unless Harbaugh is also leaving. They're pretty much joined at the hip and Roman is only running Harbaugh's archaic, dusty offense.

THIS
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

that's what makes sense to this idiot roman
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

Gore had 8.3 yds per rush coming into the second half...
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:

Reminds me of the goddamn Colts game last year

I don't get this play calling. How many times does the read option or draw need to be stopped behind the line of scrimmage? Can we not open things up? Nice to see Vernon on the sideline during the most critical of moments. I think all this artsy bs he's into, and fantex has really lost his focus on football..He's gotten soft, and lost that fire. Almost wish we had 2009 Vern. He cause some penalties, but at least he had some hardness to him.
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:

Reminds me of the goddamn Colts game last year

he only had 13 carries lol.

hyde had 4 after the burst we saw in dallas
the problem is, he didn't say lets spread them out he said lets be basic.

johnson boldin and crab you shouldn't be able to guard them unless roman allows you to which he did.
And I'll stab somebody if we hand it to Miller instead of hyde in short yardage again
And I'll stab somebody if we hand it to Miller instead of hyde in short yardage again

or gore or run a sneak with kap or run play action bootleg for an easy 1st down or a number of things that make more sense.

roman being cute cost us a ring LITERALLY

no idea why people don't understand he'll cost us regular games.

we abandon the run up 17-0 we don't make them PAY

we dont run bunch formations we don't make it hard to cover we don't run power in the red zone we don't run our bread and butter play action stuff out of tight formations

we just don't things that we know work for no reason other than the dude just doesn't want to do them.
Originally posted by Seeno1:
I don't get this play calling. How many times does the read option or draw need to be stopped behind the line of scrimmage? Can we not open things up? Nice to see Vernon on the sideline during the most critical of moments. I think all this artsy bs he's into, and fantex has really lost his focus on football..He's gotten soft, and lost that fire. Almost wish we had 2009 Vern. He cause some penalties, but at least he had some hardness to him.

Vernon was injured. Watched him get on one of those carts as the niners were lining up for what would end up being the final snap for the niners offense.
Share 49ersWebzone