LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by communist:
Greg Roman, you may be an OC forever if you keep this up. Not laying the blame all on him, but he could've done more to bail the team out. Even with the stupid interceptions.
How? Should he go out on the field and play at QB instead of Kap?

2 of them were great plays. the db took it from crab and the other went off his man and made the play

the problem is he doesn't call plays to get touchdowns we needed to put up 24 at least in that 1st half and the game is different.

and we didn't run the ball.

Not stupid as if it's Kap's fault totally..just stupid as in, i don't like them lol. And we just don't balance ourselves well. I liked coming out passing, but we didn't mix it up good enough as the game went on.

we didn't have an identity
this was roman being cute
when he's cute we lost it's simple as that.
and jim allows him to be cute instead of taking this stuff serious. it's fun and games to him. he needs to go. leave his playbook and have someone else call the games who wants to putup 40 points a game
that's what we need.
He's chained to Harbaugh. I've given up on the thought of him ever leaving, or Heaven forbid, learning how to properly call plays.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Sep 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM ]
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Greg Roman, you may be an OC forever if you keep this up. Not laying the blame all on him, but he could've done more to bail the team out. Even with the stupid interceptions.

2 of them were great plays. the db took it from crab and the other went off his man and made the play

the problem is he doesn't call plays to get touchdowns we needed to put up 24 at least in that 1st half and the game is different.

My biggest gripe always has been that he just refused to call RB screens or flares to get defenses to stop stacking and blitzing. He just continuously allows them to come right at Kap the whole game.

not even that
we just saw what spread offense and wr bunch plays could do for this offense.
the bears are without lots of their db's so in response to this do we run 1 single bunch offense play with crab boldin and johnson.. even 1??????

lol

this is who is in charge of the offense.
Short and sweet answer to this thread.....no
I think Roman was banking on the Bears struggling against the read option like they did last week. The Bears didn't and we didn't know what to do.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

My biggest gripe always has been that he just refused to call RB screens or flares to get defenses to stop stacking and blitzing. He just continuously allows them to come right at Kap the whole game.

not even that
we just saw what spread offense and wr bunch plays could do for this offense.
the bears are without lots of their db's so in response to this do we run 1 single bunch offense play with crab boldin and johnson.. even 1??????

lol

this is who is in charge of the offense.

Very true. He just doesn't do anything to keep teams off-balance. He never counters what defenses are doing to exploit the weak part of their defense.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think Roman was banking on the Bears struggling against the read option like they did last week. The Bears didn't and we didn't know what to do.

And this is a quality of this coaching staff - when an opponent counters what we've prepared for all week, we NEVER have an answer. EVER.

Fire Roman and make Harbaugh call the plays. Make him earn his extension if he wants one.

The utterly predictable thing. The Bears expected read option, the 49ers came out with read option. The Bears loaded the box up and dared the 49ers to chuck the ball downfield, the 49ers couldn't.

I've completely given up on the idea of Roman going anywhere unless Harbaugh is also leaving. They're pretty much joined at the hip and Roman is only running Harbaugh's archaic, dusty offense.
Here's a fact that I feel very confident in: every fanbase has huge issues with their head coach's / offensive coordinator's playcalling. I go to a couple of other message boards that are filled with fans of all teams, and, I swear to you, this post the exact same complaints, nearly verbatim.

"Darrell Bevell is terrible. He cost us the game."
"John Fox is terrible. We built a huge lead and then played it safe and almost squandered the lead. He's always so conservative when we build a lead." (following Colts / Broncos in week 1)
etc...

I think OC's are just easy scapegoats. If the players don't execute, it doesn't matter what play is called. Let's be real, we had some very long (10-15 play, 5-7 minute) drives in this game. Kaep deserves more blame than anyone. If you turn the ball over FOUR times, you're going to lose. Period.
we didn't have an identity
this was roman being cute
when he's cute we lost it's simple as that.
and jim allows him to be cute instead of taking this stuff serious. it's fun and games to him. he needs to go. leave his playbook and have someone else call the games who wants to putup 40 points a game
that's what we need.

But he's "The Mad Scientist", which is also what they called Martz and people got tired of his s**t in fast order as well.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The utterly predictable thing. The Bears expected read option, the 49ers came out with read option. The Bears loaded the box up and dared the 49ers to chuck the ball downfield, the 49ers couldn't.

I've completely given up on the idea of Roman going anywhere unless Harbaugh is also leaving. They're pretty much joined at the hip and Roman is only running Harbaugh's archaic, dusty offense.

the 49ers could possibly if they made an adjustment but they didn't that was the problem. not that they couldn't beat them deep. that roman refused to get them into those calls to beat them deep.

well at this point jim is a great head coach but he's going to let this idiot get him fired. and go somewhere and be just good enough to get fired again and again and again. roman is horrible.

for the simple fact that you already know after he calls a half decent game.
the next one is going to be full of arrogance and crash and burn
Originally posted by theduke85:
Here's a fact that I feel very confident in: every fanbase has huge issues with their head coach's / offensive coordinator's playcalling. I go to a couple of other message boards that are filled with fans of all teams, and, I swear to you, this post the exact same complaints, nearly verbatim.

"John Fox is terrible. We built a huge lead and then played it safe and almost squandered the lead. He's always so conservative when we build a lead." (following Colts / Broncos in week 1)
etc...

I think OC's are just easy scapegoats. If the players don't execute, it doesn't matter what play is called. Let's be real, we had some very long (10-15 play, 5-7 minute) drives in this game. Kaep deserves more blame than anyone. If you turn the ball over FOUR times, you're going to lose. Period.

it was part execution but not running a consistent offense isn't execution. putting that game plan together that wasn't execution.
the bears practiced defending the read option ALL WEEK. and we came out and ran it. if we didn't run it the bears defense would have been dead in the water

but that would make too much sense to do.
Originally posted by theduke85:

etc...

romanexcuses
From my understanding harbaugh lets fangio run the defense and just stays away. Why not just let roman go and let harbaugh call the plays. This would also fix the getting the play into the qb problem since roman struggles with that too
  • ace52
  • Veteran
It's really criminal the way this team wasted long drives that got us to the 10-yard line. Then we ran 3 straight run plays right into the strength of their defense, got stuffed, and settled for FGs. Roman should look at how the Bears scored those quick touchdowns and learn how to take full advantage of every precious trip to the red zone.
It's like our coaching staff, Roman especially, get a brain-lock every time we get to within 10 yards of the goal line
Share 49ersWebzone