LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mods, add to the Roman thread, please.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He said some interesting stuff.

1) Kilgore brings more athleticism to the position.

Might be better suited to run a screen than Goodwin. Although it should be noted Goodwin ran plenty of screens while he was with the Saints, and didn't have a problem with it. Maybe age sapped his mobility.

2) Kap's ability to run might actually hinder the screen game.

Reason being defenses are so concerned with him taking off for a big gain, they don't carelessly run back in coverage opening up running lanes. They keep their eyes in the backfield, which makes it easier/quicker to diagnose a screen.

So with the points you made, it looks like we wont be running the screen plays many of us (me included) have been hoping for. Unless some of the new OL we drafted show the ability.

Also, more passing production to back defenders up from the LOS. The latter imho, relies on Roman calling the pass plays to open up the defense, even though, defenses are always gonna respect Kap's running.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/roman-discusses-loss-hunter-49ers-screen-game

Originally posted by Afrikan:

that about sums it up for most round here
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

that about sums it up for most round here

Lol so most feel we do have the OL talent to successfully run screens. I also can ascertain from that most dont believe that he will change and call said plays.

I personally feel that from watching the run game and some of the movement (traps, draws, motions, etc.) of the OL, we do have the athleticism to make those plays. He just doesnt call that type of play.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jul 28, 2014 at 2:26 PM ]
There you go.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
One thing that is alarming, is that when Greg first arrived the playcalling whether the play actually worked or not was very creative. As time goes on, I'm not seeing that anymore, not even in the run game, his bread and butter. I feel like I'm watching the Nolan/Singletary offense. I know preseason is very vanilla, so the ultimate test will be the regular season, but something to think about.

As is, I don't think you can win a super bowl with his offense. I know part of it is trying to make Kaepernick into an NFL caliber passer, but I think a lot of it has to do also with Jim Harbaugh who played in the 80s where you could win games passing for 150 yds.
He's going to need to be. A bunch of gimmicky b******t and the Jumbo formation, playing to try to eek out wins isn't going to cut it this year. The offense is going to have to try and take advantage of every single opportunity and the mindset needs to be to put 7 on the board every single time down, simply being content with a field goal isn't going to fly with teams like Denver, Philly and New Orleans on the schedule. He has no excuses, I don't want to hear anyone preaching BS about how he's such a wonderful offensive mind. If he can't get it done with the immense collection of talent that the 49ers have, a group that virtually any offensive coordinator worth their salt would die for, then a change seriously needs to happen.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's going to need to be. A bunch of gimmicky b******t and the Jumbo formation, playing to try to eek out wins isn't going to cut it this year. The offense is going to have to try and take advantage of every single opportunity and the mindset needs to be to put 7 on the board every single time down, simply being content with a field goal isn't going to fly with teams like Denver, Philly and New Orleans on the schedule. He has no excuses, I don't want to hear anyone preaching BS about how he's such a wonderful offensive mind. If he can't get it done with the immense collection of talent that the 49ers have, a group that virtually any offensive coordinator worth their salt would die for, then a change seriously needs to happen.

Maybe I just slurp the kool aid but I really think our offense works with our defense. Our defense has been great so our focus has been on ball control and not making mistakes. I think with the defense down the offense will do just enough as always to win many more games then we lose. I trust Haroman, always have.
We're about to find out.

Originally posted by natrone06:
Maybe I just slurp the kool aid but I really think our offense works with our defense. Our defense has been great so our focus has been on ball control and not making mistakes. I think with the defense down the offense will do just enough as always to win many more games then we lose. I trust Haroman, always have.

the thing that really bugs me about the offense is that they have shown they can move the football when they really need to, look at the end of the Seattle game. they have shown that they can open it up when they really need to. my question is why can't they do that more often not just when the game is on the line.
Well, this may sound odd coming from romn's #1 detractor, but I think he called a very good game except for the long balls literally just thrown up in the air by kap several times and same for blaine. I would like to direct my comments to the playcalling while Josh was in. At this point I don't know if Josh is still on the squad or not, ( I sure hope so), because the game romn called while josh was in was terrific. Kept the 2nd or 3rd string D on their heels the entire time. And I don't give a rat's behind if it was the 4th string D, roman called a really good series of plays for JOsh.

Unh oh...what does that mean? Well, as concisely as possible, romn had kap and blaine throwing mid range to long and they basically misfired, except for a very few memorable plays. Why? Well, by mid point in 2nd qtr we had something like 3 series on O with 3, 4, and 6 plays each, and the D played the entire rest of the time. That right there is a bad sign. But WTF is the deal with blaine copying kap's bad habit of trying to knock his receivers over with the high hard one, aka, the fastball? Because that is exactly what blaine did after once again kap proved he can't take some of the heat off to guys close in, and then blaine goes out there and does the exact same stooopid thing? Are we really coaching those two? Because if so, I think we need an attitude adjustment for both QBs. What I took away from this game is that if we cut or drop Josh, somebody has committed a mortal screwup. The kid played terrific. So what if the guys he played against weren't starters? He played great. He had touch passes. He had slants. He had outs.
OH, and guess what? JOSH was the one to throw a strike for 40 yds, not the two big bumblers we have supposedly at #1 and #2.

My feeling is that if kap goes into the season and plays like he has in PS, we may very well want to sit him and let him get his head straight. Maybe he is trying too hard. Maybe he is trying to earn his $120 mil. Whatever, he looked like crapt , he played like crapt, and blaine looked worse. If kap goes into a funk in the start of the season, and we either lose our come close, I would seriously suggest inserting josh as and let kap watch him play. He might just learn what he is expected to do.

Now I can't explain it, or even try, but when Josh is in there, roman called plays that were meaningful, coherent, chain movers, easy to complet, great outs, slants, comebackers, TDs, the whole magilicutty. Roman actually looked like a great playcaller. So why?

Ok, just guessing here, but could roman be thinking, big cannon, gotta call a big pass? And also, 1st down, go for 30. 2nd down and 10, go for 40. 3rd and 10, hand off to Winston or hyde or pick your choice. Something weird happened last nite, and I am rewatching, because roman didn't look decent while calling plays for kap and blaine, but for josh, he looked fantastic. Yeah, I factored in the weaker D but josh didn't have a bunch of starters around him either. The obvious thing was, Roman called a great game for josh. Roman called a shiddy game for kap...and then equally shiddy game for blaine. On that topic if we keep 2
qbs, one better not be blaine. I've seen enough bad in PS to last a lifetime. He flat out doesn't see it, or he flat azz can't do it. JOSH...go ahead, call me crazy, but if kap goes into a funk....not injured mind you, but he just can't get the job done, I would honestly consider pulling kap, and asking him to watch josh.

Ok, I admit, romn called krapt plays for kap, and then worse plays (equally bad) plays for blaine.Jeez, they looked like twins playing. copy cats. Both utterly horrid. And yes, roman's plays for those guys stank. But for Josh, roman turns right around and calls a perfect game for him. Why in the hell can't roman call those same exact plays(WCO if you prefer) for kap...instead of the misguided , horrid plays , all resulting (or most ) in 3 and outs? What I saw in the second half with josh was a kid who played great ...terrific really. And roman called an A+ game. A++ even. Nicest thing I have said about romn ever. But is there something else going on here...eg, roman knows kap can't complete most of his quick slants or quick outs? I mean why would romn call all plays for kap that weren't even close to being completed? Behind, too high, too hard, too low,etc.

Something really funky happened last nite, roman showed he has the talent, but he only could show it with a kid who did everything right, and almost nothing wrong( one bad wideout pass for an INT TD), but otherwise outplayed QB # 1 and #2 by a country mile. I have never seen anything like that and it just makes me wonder. Is roman incompatible with guys who just throw smoke, or are kap and blaine incompatible with an OC who can call a really good, or great game?

There is an answer in here somewhere. Meantime, $2mil or not, josh is the #2 by far, and blaine was just a mistake.
Coach H guessed wrong. Heck, we all make mistakes, but Blaine doesn't deserve to be here....and josh sure as hell does. NOw, do I want josh starting over kap? NO, unless, on the really impossible chance that romn just can't call good plays for kap, yet he called a fantastic game for josh.
Does that mean we part with roman or we part with kap. Well, romn wouldn't win that contest, but it is obvious from last nite, roman has real talent, but it just doesn't match up with what kap has to offer. Like I said....weird. But that is what I saw, and if you all think back...I bet some of you saw it too.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM ]
I am wiping the slate clean. No gripes coming into this season. Let's see what he does. There are no excuses for him to not use all of the personnel we have. There weren't any excuses for him not to use all of the personnel we had last season either.. kap foot be damned.. in fact because of kap's foot it should have forced him to use everyone else to take up the slack,,,meaning hunter, james and the other wr's who never saw the field over the great kyle williams

and now we need the offense ....
Roman's reasoning for not throwing more screens is total bull. He didn't call screens when Alex Smith or Andrew Luck either. He rarely even calls WR screens and we definitely have the players to run those extremely well. Our receivers and TE's are great blockers out there and both Crabtree and Vance are absolute beats when running after the catch so what's the excuse there? Not to mention that that's basically all those two guys ever ran in college.

Roman is full of it.
[ Edited by Young2Rice4TD on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Roman's reasoning for not throwing more screens is total bull. He didn't call screens when Alex Smith or Andrew Luck either. He rarely even calls WR screens and we definitely have the players to run those extremely well. Our receivers and TE's are great blockers out there and both Crabtree and Vance are absolute beats when running after the catch so what's the excuse there? Not to mention that that's basically all those two guys ever ran in college.

Roman is full of it.
Maybe screen passes to Roman are literally trick plays. He'll throw a screen out every 5 years or so and completely catch the opponent off-guard.
Share 49ersWebzone