There are 238 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Niners816:
I think roman takes way too much s**t (everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I'm not trying to change any minds, however I'm pretty sure thl and I have similar feelings on roman). While there are some aspects I wish he handled differently, he is an average to above average nfl OC with the potential to be a very good OC. Personally I loved the flavor of our offense during the 2011 season. However, the 10 game stretch (including playoffs) the offense had when kaep took over in 2012 was pretty amazing. We were averaging over 30 ppg, 390 ypg with a 230 pass 160 rush split. Had the defense not been hampered by Justins injury this offense would have been a Super Bowl winner. Granted the first 11 games in 2013 were below average, but when crabs came back the offense was producing at almost a top10 level--about 360 ypg with a 220 pass, 140 rush split.

Jeff hosler and jimmy raye are terrible nfl OCs, greg roman is not.

I agree with this. This season will say a lot about Roman, IMO. When has he really had a receiving corps as deep as he should have this season. When has he had a quarterback completely at ease with the system? He's got a lot more of that going for him this year, so we'll see what he can do with it and whether he can grow as an OC....

but, he is still fat... there's that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phil:
More 3 and 4 WR sets or bust. If we dont utilize Davis, Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Patton and Ellington I'll become a hockey fan. I hate hockey.

I wouldn't hold my breath in expecting more 11 personnel. But I can see less play-passing and more 11 personnel in those cases where they *do* want to pass. I think the run/pass ratio (buck I think posted it in another thread) was something like 70/30 on first down. I don't expect that to change too much. But in my opinion, what I think will happen is that the 30 percent they do pass will be more 11 personnel and less 22 personnel.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Greg Roman aka The Big Twinkie... is he any good?

Well, is it livable in Alviso? Yes . Does it need a lot of improvement to draw in more people (wanting to live there)? Yes!

Originally posted by Phil:
More 3 and 4 WR sets or bust. If we dont utilize Davis, Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Patton and Ellington I'll become a hockey fan. I hate hockey.

Hi! I don't know you, but I may have take pity on you... the bold in your comment has a real good chance (I hope I am wrong) of coming true .

If that ever comes to fruition (I hope it doesn't), then my advice to you is (do not become a Sharks fan)... that's the team I root for and I am sad beyond belief... even more sad than the Buffalo Bills losing 4 SB
Giedi, it wasn't quite that bad, being 60/40. Still that is a gimme for the elite teams Defense, in that 3 out of every 5 first downs we are running the ball, and the D can adjust their alignment,(eg box 8,9, or 10) accordingly and be correct 60% of the time. It is a terrible "show" if one were playing poker, and its significance is no less worse in the NFL. If the opponents know what is coming, they can defend it better. Well, that be us on 1st down. It is also why Frank's avg on first down falls to less than 4.2 yds/carry and drops to 1.4 yds/carry or something awful like that. That is the one thing that would be so easy to fix, but who knows what Coach is going to do with Roman on first downs.
I was just watching a Chargers vs. Chief's rewind game from last year on NFLN. And the phrase I kept hearing over and over again was, "Very, very well designed (passing) play." And it got me thinking if we've ever heard that during a Niner game over the past three years re: the passing game. This isn't to slam HaRoman at all but it got me thinking that with ALL of the weapons we clearly have now on offense, will there be new designs...more exotic plays...better scheming...quicker tempo...targeting more weapons early and often, etc. Now that there are no more personnel excuses, will HaRoman be working very hard this TC to get receivers open down the field, across the field, in short areas, in the middle of the field, etc. Will they create, "Very, very well designed plays!?"

PS: To me, it looked like 60%-75% of the passing plays that game were a variety of crossing routes and vertical seams/stretches.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I was just watching a Chargers vs. Chief's rewind game from last year on NFLN. And the phrase I kept hearing over and over again was, "Very, very well designed (passing) play." And it got me thinking if we've ever heard that during a Niner game over the past three years re: the passing game. This isn't to slam HaRoman at all but it got me thinking that will ALL of the weapons we clearly have now on offense, will there be new designs...more exotic plays...better scheming...quicker tempo, etc. Now that there are no more personnel excuses, will HaRoman be working very hard this TC to get receivers open down the field, across the field, in short areas, in the middle of the field, etc. Will they create, "Very, very well designed plays!?"

PS: To me, it looked like 60%-75% of the passing plays that game were a variety of crossing routes and vertical seams/stretches.

One thing about the better coordinators/offenses is that they can scheme average/good players open in a variety of patterns and not need 1K WR's at every spot to do it. The Niners haven't seen that level of sophistication in the passing game from the Roman/Harbaugh offense yet.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
I don't think that Greg Roman is that good of Offensive Coordinator.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
I was just watching a Chargers vs. Chief's rewind game from last year on NFLN. And the phrase I kept hearing over and over again was, "Very, very well designed (passing) play." And it got me thinking if we've ever heard that during a Niner game over the past three years re: the passing game. This isn't to slam HaRoman at all but it got me thinking that will ALL of the weapons we clearly have now on offense, will there be new designs...more exotic plays...better scheming...quicker tempo, etc. Now that there are no more personnel excuses, will HaRoman be working very hard this TC to get receivers open down the field, across the field, in short areas, in the middle of the field, etc. Will they create, "Very, very well designed plays!?"

One thing about the better coordinators/offenses is that they can scheme average/good players open in a variety of patterns and not need 1K WR's at every spot to do it. The Niners haven't seen that level of sophistication in the passing game from the Roman/Harbaugh offense yet.

It was pretty crazy to watch the "game manager Alex Smith" put up 38 points mostly on crossing routes and seams (short and deep) schemed to get a variety of weapons the ball. And the same for the Chargers...crossing patterns and drag routes were KILLING the Chief's defense! They put up 41 points.

To put that into perspective, Donnie Avery and AJ Jenkins had big days.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 22, 2014 at 2:12 PM ]

It was pretty crazy to watch the "game manager Alex Smith" put up 38 points mostly on crossing routes and seams (short and deep) schemed to get a variety of weapons the ball. And the same for the Chargers...crossing patterns and drag routes were KILLING the Chief's defense! They put up 41 points.

To put that into perspective, Donnie Avery and AJ Jenkins had big days.

LOL AJ looked legit didn't he?

He caught a big gainer on an epic bunch formation design that had like 2 DB's falling on their face and AJ running across underneath wide open. So yeah, I would qualify that as legit and more than he ever gave us. Haha. You just have to design plays to get these guys the ball...even a guy like AJ.

Truth. But I'll wait for this season to see how they adapt their philosophy and play designs before I lose my @#$%^&*.

I saw that too, I literally had to look twice to make sure that was AJ running down field because I couldn't believe it at first.

Truth. But I'll wait for this season to see how they adapt their philosophy and play designs before I lose my @#$%^&*.

This season is Romans last shot in my eyes. If he sucks it up yet again and Harbaugh continues to employ this bat s**t stupid way of coordinating the offense Ima lose my s**t.

Hopefully having four 1,000 yard receivers on the roster who are all starting quality (I'm counting Lloyd as well) will make Greg Roman look better than he really is and he will FINALLY get a head coaching job next season.
Originally posted by T-9ers:

I saw that too, I literally had to look twice to make sure that was AJ running down field because I couldn't believe it at first.

I had to do a double take at first too. Then I saw the number and just shook my head in disgust that Roman couldn't figure that one out..
Share 49ersWebzone