There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good Lord!

Watching the NFL Network and Roger Craig had 1,500 yards rushing and 72 receptions in 1988.

Boldin had 85 last year. I know it's not fair to compare but, wow!

I agree, unfair to compare. Different era. I think nowadays, somebody correct me, the highest paid offensive skill positions are QB, WR, and RB. I think one of the factors why Harbaugh likes to run a power run offense is that it's cap friendly. RB's and O Linemen are usually paid less than WR's and QB's. (from an average salary standpoint) The WCO depends on good skill position players, at the QB and WR position and a decent RB that can also double as a WR. I think, given the pricing of these skilled athletes, it's more expensive to run a good WCO than it is a traditional run based offense.

I don't think it takes two or three years to plug in an O Lineman on a run based offense vs a WR on a WCO. Usually for a WR, it takes 2 or 3 years to get the hang of the kinds of plays each WCO timing system runs. A run based offense, I'd say an O Lineman should be productive within a year. A talented RB should be able to produce within a year too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
[...]
[b]Asked if the 49ers could use a swift, down-field threat like Hilton in their offense, Harbaugh said "it's something that we'll look at addressing[/b]." Acquiring that type of receiver also could prompt the 49ers to use more three wide-receiver formations. Dating back to his time at the University of San Diego, Harbaugh's offenses have been decidedly brawny and run-oriented, and he has preferred using two tight ends or a running back and a full back instead of three receivers. In fact, San Francisco has used the formation roughly 20% of the time over the last three seasons, the lowest rate in the league. "We've mainly done that on third down," Harbaugh said before pausing and continuing coyly, "but it doesn't mean we can't do it on first and second down."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/harbaugh-hints-at-changes-to-49ers-offense.html#storylink=cpy

In short, if you're not getting better...you're getting worse.
Personally, I think for Kaepernick, somebody like a Brandon Cooks would be a much better fit than a Mike Evans. I think Kaep has a natural ability to throw deep and accurately, and somebody that can run a 4.4 and catch plays into his strengths. Now, I understand that Anquan runs a very slow 4.7 and he was Kaekpernick's favorite target in 2013. But really, he was his only WR target until Crabs came back. A deep strike WR like a Cooks will open up the passing lanes for a guy like Anquan. I can see the 49ers devoting at least two draft picks on a fast WR that can go deep in this draft. It doesn't have to be a first round pick. I can see them doing this in the 3rd and 4rth rounds.
Originally posted by Giedi:
[...]
[b]Asked if the 49ers could use a swift, down-field threat like Hilton in their offense, Harbaugh said "it's something that we'll look at addressing[/b]." Acquiring that type of receiver also could prompt the 49ers to use more three wide-receiver formations. Dating back to his time at the University of San Diego, Harbaugh's offenses have been decidedly brawny and run-oriented, and he has preferred using two tight ends or a running back and a full back instead of three receivers. In fact, San Francisco has used the formation roughly 20% of the time over the last three seasons, the lowest rate in the league. "We've mainly done that on third down," Harbaugh said before pausing and continuing coyly, "but it doesn't mean we can't do it on first and second down."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/harbaugh-hints-at-changes-to-49ers-offense.html#storylink=cpy

In short, if you're not getting better...you're getting worse.
Personally, I think for Kaepernick, somebody like a Brandon Cooks would be a much better fit than a Mike Evans. I think Kaep has a natural ability to throw deep and accurately, and somebody that can run a 4.4 and catch plays into his strengths. Now, I understand that Anquan runs a very slow 4.7 and he was Kaekpernick's favorite target in 2013. But really, he was his only WR target until Crabs came back. A deep strike WR like a Cooks will open up the passing lanes for a guy like Anquan. I can see the 49ers devoting at least two draft picks on a fast WR that can go deep in this draft. It doesn't have to be a first round pick. I can see them doing this in the 3rd and 4rth rounds.

Mike Evans would be Boldin's replacement in two years or Crabtree's next year...as far as speed, we had a 4.2 Ginn, Randy Moss (true deep threat), Lockette and Marlon Moore (deep threat) and none of those guys were used in the fashion we all wish they would have been. That said, it sounds like Harbaugh is willing to evaluate the "scheme" (I'm sure, with a little push from the FO), so at least that is good news!

PS: Patton is pretty fast too, right? He ran a Low: 4.40 40 Time: 4.48.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]
I wish him well at McMurry. He obviously admires Xbox.
He had offers from Bob Jones University and Presbyterian but turned them down
Actually I heard that he and Jimmy Raye were starting up an American Football offensive philosophy consulting business.
Actually I heard that he and Jimmy Raye were starting up an American Football offensive philosophy consulting business.
That's not what I posted. Damn zone server.
Finally Roman is gone. Really looking forward to Holmgren coming back.
Mcmurry? More like mcflurry
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

I can't believe Roman is gone. This is like the Webzone's dream come true!
I wonder who the next scapegoat is going to be? The pissing and moaning around here is going to get real interesting when we have the same issues on offense well after Roman is gone.
His redzone offense will dominate college football.