Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Are the 49ers suffering paralysis by analysis under Greg Roman?
When the 49ers do manage to get the ball into scoring position, the offense struggles in the red zone despite the many weapons at our disposal. We settle for field goals. In fact, we are number one in the league with 105 made over the last three seasons. Although points are points, the lack of ability to score touchdowns on great drives is maddening. And against Seattle, the opportunities to get into the red zone will be more difficult. The 49ers cannot leave points on the field.
http://bigtimefootball.com/football/are-the-49ers-suffering-paralysis-by-analysis-under-greg-roman/

And then this gem from the Seattle game

Running plays when we had 4 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 3 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 2 guys split out - 4 (but see below)
Running plays when we had 1 guy split out - 10 (every single one of them with 8 or 9 defenders in the box)
Running plays when we had 0 guys split out - 2 (against 11-man fronts)

I would love to see what Seattle did as well for comparisons sake.

In the original post the guy didn't breakdown Seattle but did add this at the end:

"p.s. Seattle made mulitple handoffs to RBs out of 2-receiver sets, some out of 3-receiver sets, and even one from a 4-receiver set. Much more variety to their running attack than ours. I don't mind at all that we are a run-based offense. But does every run have to be a power run up the middle against 8 or 9 in the box?"

That gels with my memory of the game, and Seattle do seem to have a philosophy of heavy play action, for that to be effective you need to run from sets with WR's split out to be effective in both.
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Greg-Roman-Conversation-Offensive-Outlook/56dcb9ff-704d-4c18-949f-b1e05b81d6df

Admitting he put a ton on McDonald's plate and will now consider getting him more involved in the passing game going forward. He seemed to really like Patton as well and also looks to get him more involved.
YES... Just like players, they get better with experience, and he'll continue getting better as he learns more as players do.
Originally posted by Constantine:
YES... Just like players, they get better with experience, and he'll continue getting better as he learns more as players do.

We'll believe it when we see it though. LOL

Good one... His playcalling handicapped this offense once again and shows no signs of changing going forward
Good one... His playcalling handicapped this offense once again and shows no signs of changing going forward

This.
We played the most predictable game against SEA in that NFC championship game and i feel that is the reason we lost.

Overall as an offense, we run about 3 different types of plays. Thats it, power run is an awesome scheme but we need that deep threat the Roman NEVER uses.
Also why hasn't L.James been used like he was when we made our superbowl run? We have probably the best athlete to come out of that draft and we use him on kick returns only?
Come on.
IMO The reason that Roman's failure to get a head coaching job IS because of his predictability !
He needs to be able to create a new offensive scheme on the fly or dare to do the unconventional every once in a while.

They used to do that the years before and it worked quite well, but for some reason they stopped and became very predictable.

Not to put all the blame on Roman, Collin needs to improve on his ability to find that second and third receivers, a fault that we used to criticize Alex Smith on.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
omg with this thinking,, he will get better with more experience, he never learned s**t from the super bowl, you pay a coach alot of money and you expect a little bit more than what we got with this offense this year, he had no clue how to use the players he had, he ran away from things that worked and why am i wasting my time,,,, roman will get better why does this fat f**ker get so much of a long leash with some people?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Greg-Roman-Conversation-Offensive-Outlook/56dcb9ff-704d-4c18-949f-b1e05b81d6df

Admitting he put a ton on McDonald's plate and will now consider getting him more involved in the passing game going forward. He seemed to really like Patton as well and also looks to get him more involved.

you really think roman knows how to use someone like patton? do you really think that?
Originally posted by cciowa:
omg with this thinking,, he will get better with more experience, he never learned s**t from the super bowl, you pay a coach alot of money and you expect a little bit more than what we got with this offense this year, he had no clue how to use the players he had, he ran away from things that worked and why am i wasting my time,,,, roman will get better why does this fat f**ker get so much of a long leash with some people?

• cciowa
  • Veteran

good god this is, sad to say, the truth here lets call for a pass play that gets us three yards when we need 9, here lets call a nice pass to our rookie tight end in the playoffs and then never go back to that again, here lets keep running gore against 9 men, and for gods sake why the f**k would we ever fake the run to set up the pass
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I blame all this shiznit on Hostess Twinkies...
I think Greg Roman is the best OC in the league
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I think Greg Roman is the best OC in the league

who is greg roma