There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Is he still here? Even after saving all the great plays for the playoffs?

This week, after the unit slumped for a second straight game, the offensive coordinator predicted things are about to change. Even though his unit has scored just two touchdowns and accounted for 22 first downs in the past two games, Roman thinks the 49ers' offense is about to "pop."

"Well, I think it's a function really of making a few more plays, really," Roman said Friday. "You look at that game, we make one or two more plays, we win the game. The week before, we make one or two more plays, we win the game. We're always striving for improvement and we're certainly not a finished product. So, I think those opportunities are out there and the roof's going to blow off. It's going to pop. It's coming. We keep working like we're working and it will come."

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/2846/roof-about-to-blow-off-for-49ers-offense
"So, I think those opportunities are out there and the roof's going to blow off. It's going to pop. It's coming. We keep working like we're working and it will come"

Sadly the only thing that popped was Bowman's knee. :(
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

This week, after the unit slumped for a second straight game, the offensive coordinator predicted things are about to change. Even though his unit has scored just two touchdowns and accounted for 22 first downs in the past two games, Roman thinks the 49ers' offense is about to "pop."

"Well, I think it's a function really of making a few more plays, really," Roman said Friday. "You look at that game, we make one or two more plays, we win the game. The week before, we make one or two more plays, we win the game. We're always striving for improvement and we're certainly not a finished product. So, I think those opportunities are out there and the roof's going to blow off. It's going to pop. It's coming. We keep working like we're working and it will come."

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/2846/roof-about-to-blow-off-for-49ers-offense

i learned with this moron to go by what he does and not what he says. we are going to pop, we are going to explode. can even his most ardent bathwater drinkers tell us how we popped and how we exploded on offense at the end of the season and in the playoffs? we were all told when the niners were struggling on offense in the regular season how we had to wait,, because boy genius was saving all of his plays for the post season. how did that work out... que the predictable reply" well it could be worse, we could have jimmy raye here"
Originally posted by cciowa:

i learned with this moron to go by what he does and not what he says. we are going to pop, we are going to explode. can even his most ardent bathwater drinkers tell us how we popped and how we exploded on offense at the end of the season and in the playoffs? we were all told when the niners were struggling on offense in the regular season how we had to wait,, because boy genius was saving all of his plays for the post season. how did that work out... que the predictable reply" well it could be worse, we could have jimmy raye here"

this...any criticism is responded with some stupid statement like this one
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by cciowa:

this...any criticism is responded with some stupid statement like this one
Are the 49ers suffering paralysis by analysis under Greg Roman?
When the 49ers do manage to get the ball into scoring position, the offense struggles in the red zone despite the many weapons at our disposal. We settle for field goals. In fact, we are number one in the league with 105 made over the last three seasons. Although points are points, the lack of ability to score touchdowns on great drives is maddening. And against Seattle, the opportunities to get into the red zone will be more difficult. The 49ers cannot leave points on the field.
http://bigtimefootball.com/football/are-the-49ers-suffering-paralysis-by-analysis-under-greg-roman/
The saddest thing is Roman/Harbaugh whoever calls the plays and puts together the gameplan has really cost us some games. It's hard to swallow.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=542128

Says it all.

Our play calling is now so predictable on run or pass.
Originally posted by Buchy:

Says it all.

Thanks, excellent write up!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Says it all.

It's true and if IIRC, we only passed 4 times on 1st downs all game long...the rest were all predictable runs up the gut as highlighted here. Gore, Hunter and James had NO shot to be successful on a single attempt.

Says it all.

It's true and if IIRC, we only passed 4 times on 1st downs all game long...the rest were all predictable runs up the gut as highlighted here. Gore, Hunter and James had NO shot to be successful on a single attempt.

This has been true in most games and I just don't understand why the team can't analyze their tendencies to eliminate predictability. Another aspect of the WCO that is missing from this team.

Says it all.

This has been true in most games and I just don't understand why the team can't analyze their tendencies to eliminate predictability. Another aspect of the WCO that is missing from this team.

In this archaic offensive philsophy, this coaching staff is going to need all-pro's at every single position on offense to even be above average.

Says it all.

In this archaic offensive philsophy, this coaching staff is going to need all-pro's at every single position on offense to even be above average.

And that personnel philosophy just isn't sustainable. As the window on talent transitions as starters are replaced by unproven but talented players, there will be a marked increases in losses unless we become more creative. It's easier to coach when you have a lot of great players on your team and a DC that's essentially keeping your predictable offense in games. Trust me guys, without this defense, we would be losing blowouts regularly. However, many fans don't see this and it's understandable. Hey, we're winning (now) but as many of us know, just because you're winning this seasons does not at ALL guarantee success for the next season. There are so many teams as examples out there (Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Green Bay) ... and all those teams HAVE proven, good/great QBs and if you would have asked the questions about teams that are set up to win over the long term, all three teams would have been viewed as set up for long term success.

Here's some truth for the forum:

The 49ers are not immune to the same things other previously successful teams have experienced and found themselves in a losing situation the next season(s).

Do I think the team will continue winning? Yes - I hope so. However, if this offense doesn't change I can't see it ever beating teams regularly. Each year in the NFL, your opponents get better especially if you're running the same predictable schemes without at least a few new wrinkles here and there.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:59 AM ]
When the 49ers do manage to get the ball into scoring position, the offense struggles in the red zone despite the many weapons at our disposal. We settle for field goals. In fact, we are number one in the league with 105 made over the last three seasons. Although points are points, the lack of ability to score touchdowns on great drives is maddening. And against Seattle, the opportunities to get into the red zone will be more difficult. The 49ers cannot leave points on the field.
http://bigtimefootball.com/football/are-the-49ers-suffering-paralysis-by-analysis-under-greg-roman/

And then this gem from the Seattle game

Running plays when we had 4 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 3 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 2 guys split out - 4 (but see below)
Running plays when we had 1 guy split out - 10 (every single one of them with 8 or 9 defenders in the box)
Running plays when we had 0 guys split out - 2 (against 11-man fronts)
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

And then this gem from the Seattle game

Running plays when we had 4 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 3 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 2 guys split out - 4 (but see below)
Running plays when we had 1 guy split out - 10 (every single one of them with 8 or 9 defenders in the box)
Running plays when we had 0 guys split out - 2 (against 11-man fronts)