There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
thl408

Here is where we 100% absolutely agree. I think this arrangement is ridiculous with an OC in his third year. I can understand this configuration for a team just learning a new offense but come on guys - it's year three and Harbs can't trust his staff to call the right plays? This certainly explains the lack of flow that's going on if Roman is "polling" the staff. LOL. I mean really?

.... and I thought my confidence in this coaching arrangement couldn't get any more tenuous.

Guys,

..... and jeff warned me .... I mean I'm not just focusing on one game and you have to think this through ..... is JH learning on the job?

unfortunately he very much is, we've had the best team in the nfl the last 3yrs w/ no superbowls to show for it

i know people say look how harbaugh turned us around...well i'd give most of that credit to vic fangio

if harbaugh didn't have fangio and his staff of tomsula/donatell etc making us amazing on defense then he'd be getting run out of town by now because the offense hasn't taken the next step even though it has weapons like crabtree/davis/boldin out there

i don't blame roman, that's weak...jim harbaugh is an offensive head coach he doesn't even touch the defense so he's the main issue here as to why the best team in football has failed to win the superbowl now for the last 3yrs
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
thl408

Here is where we 100% absolutely agree. I think this arrangement is ridiculous with an OC in his third year. I can understand this configuration for a team just learning a new offense but come on guys - it's year three and Harbs can't trust his staff to call the right plays? This certainly explains the lack of flow that's going on if Roman is "polling" the staff. LOL. I mean really?

.... and I thought my confidence in this coaching arrangement couldn't get any more tenuous.

Guys,

..... and jeff warned me .... I mean I'm not just focusing on one game and you have to think this through ..... is JH learning on the job?

unfortunately he very much is, we've had the best team in the nfl the last 3yrs w/ no superbowls to show for it

i know people say look how harbaugh turned us around...well i'd give most of that credit to vic fangio

if harbaugh didn't have fangio and his staff of tomsula/donatell etc making us amazing on defense then he'd be getting run out of town by now because the offense hasn't taken the next step even though it has weapons like crabtree/davis/boldin out there

i don't blame roman, that's weak...jim harbaugh is an offensive head coach he doesn't even touch the defense so he's the main issue here as to why the best team in football has failed to win the superbowl now for the last 3yrs

the main reason is cus its not baseball or basketball with a best of 7 series. being the best team in football means nothing if on that day the other team plays better. in those other sports more often than not the cream will rise to the top. we got 5 rings but many more than 5 season where we were the best or very close to it but couldnt close the deal.
Originally posted by crabman82:
the main reason is cus its not baseball or basketball with a best of 7 series. being the best team in football means nothing if on that day the other team plays better. in those other sports more often than not the cream will rise to the top. we got 5 rings but many more than 5 season where we were the best or very close to it but couldnt close the deal.

sure but 3yrs in a row they failed..

in fact they were favorites in 2 of the yrs

they were favored to beat the giants and lost, they would've ben favored to beat the pats

they were favored to beat the ravens and blew it

i don't mind the giants loss as much as we were getting out playoff feet wet but the ravens loss was pathetic, to put up that no show in the 1st half was so bad and that falls on jim harbaugh

you saw how pete carroll had his team ready to dominate in that game...harbaugh failed to do that when we were in the superbowl...we played one of the ugliest 1st halves instead
Originally posted by iLL49er:
sure but 3yrs in a row they failed..

in fact they were favorites in 2 of the yrs

they were favored to beat the giants and lost, they would've ben favored to beat the pats

they were favored to beat the ravens and blew it

i don't mind the giants loss as much as we were getting out playoff feet wet but the ravens loss was pathetic, to put up that no show in the 1st half was so bad and that falls on jim harbaugh

you saw how pete carroll had his team ready to dominate in that game...harbaugh failed to do that when we were in the superbowl...we played one of the ugliest 1st halves instead

i would have loved to have closed the deal any one of the past 3 years. but i also realize we've been to the round of 4 each of those years. once you get that deep its a crap shoot especially with no best of 7 series. after 3 times i understand some people will gloss him as not being able to win the big one, but the other coaches we had werent even getting us within sniffing it with largely the same players. it doesnt help seattle just one and i think thats fueling some of this.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by crabman82:
the main reason is cus its not baseball or basketball with a best of 7 series. being the best team in football means nothing if on that day the other team plays better. in those other sports more often than not the cream will rise to the top. we got 5 rings but many more than 5 season where we were the best or very close to it but couldnt close the deal.

sure but 3yrs in a row they failed..

in fact they were favorites in 2 of the yrs

they were favored to beat the giants and lost, they would've ben favored to beat the pats

they were favored to beat the ravens and blew it

i don't mind the giants loss as much as we were getting out playoff feet wet but the ravens loss was pathetic, to put up that no show in the 1st half was so bad and that falls on jim harbaugh

you saw how pete carroll had his team ready to dominate in that game...harbaugh failed to do that when we were in the superbowl...we played one of the ugliest 1st halves instead

Agree with this. The honeymoon with Harbaugh is OVER!
Originally posted by crabman82:
i would have loved to have closed the deal any one of the past 3 years. but i also realize we've been to the round of 4 each of those years. once you get that deep its a crap shoot especially with no best of 7 series. after 3 times i understand some people will gloss him as not being able to win the big one, but the other coaches we had werent even getting us within sniffing it with largely the same players. it doesnt help seattle just one and i think thats fueling some of this.

i'm not calling to replace him but he's no longer untouchable..........he deserves a lot of criticism and i hope he gets it

i don't like it when fans say "well look what we had b4"...i'll tell u what we had b4..one of the most talented rosters but stuck w/ VERY BELOW avg coaching..harbaugh brought in good coaching and we took off

now that roster deserves a championship and i feel the coaching on the offensive side should've taken it to another level to get that done but it hasn't

people shouldn't kiss the ground harbaugh walks on anymore....pete carroll knew how to get his team ready for the biggest game of their lives and they closed the deal against an inferior opponent

well the ravens were DEFINITELY the inferior opponent against us but jim harbaugh failed to have them ready, they were sleep walking like they had been in the previous 5 games b4 that except it was the superbowl and the ravens took advantage big time
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by crabman82:
i would have loved to have closed the deal any one of the past 3 years. but i also realize we've been to the round of 4 each of those years. once you get that deep its a crap shoot especially with no best of 7 series. after 3 times i understand some people will gloss him as not being able to win the big one, but the other coaches we had werent even getting us within sniffing it with largely the same players. it doesnt help seattle just one and i think thats fueling some of this.

i'm not calling to replace him but he's no longer untouchable..........he deserves a lot of criticism and i hope he gets it

i don't like it when fans say "well look what we had b4"...i'll tell u what we had b4..one of the most talented rosters but stuck w/ VERY BELOW avg coaching..harbaugh brought in good coaching and we took off

now that roster deserves a championship and i feel the coaching on the offensive side should've taken it to another level to get that done but it hasn't

people shouldn't kiss the ground harbaugh walks on anymore....pete carroll knew how to get his team ready for the biggest game of their lives and they closed the deal against an inferior opponent

well the ravens were DEFINITELY the inferior opponent against us but jim harbaugh failed to have them ready, they were sleep walking like they had been in the previous 5 games b4 that except it was the superbowl and the ravens took advantage big time

Harbaugh is a top coach in this league and this is his first time around. Carrol has been around the NFL as a coach for decades. What JH has done is amazing. He is a winner.

We are close to the top, we will get there.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 580
Originally posted by iLL49er:
unfortunately he very much is, we've had the best team in the nfl the last 3yrs w/ no superbowls to show for it

i know people say look how harbaugh turned us around...well i'd give most of that credit to vic fangio

if harbaugh didn't have fangio and his staff of tomsula/donatell etc making us amazing on defense then he'd be getting run out of town by now because the offense hasn't taken the next step even though it has weapons like crabtree/davis/boldin out there

i don't blame roman, that's weak...jim harbaugh is an offensive head coach he doesn't even touch the defense so he's the main issue here as to why the best team in football has failed to win the superbowl now for the last 3yrs

This is nothing more than ill conceived revisionist history....The truth is that Harbaugh is conservatively one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL. Three straight NFC Championship Games, one of which they lost in OT and one they lost on basically the last play of the game.

As for Harbaugh's role with the offense, let's see...the 2011 team, he turned Alex Smith around from borderline starter to an efficient winning QB that went into the NFC Championship game with an injured Crabtree, Kyle Williams and Joe Hastings at WR and a worn down Gore from all the work he had to do in the regular season.'

The 2012 team, he changed QBs in the middle of the season, which allowed the 49ers offense to take off and carry the 49ers through the playoffs with the defense hurting and faltering through much of the playoffs...lets not forget that the offense put up 29 points in the SB, but the defense and special teams gave up 34...The slow starts were a valid criticism but at the end of the day, but lets not make it out like the 49ers' offense was solely to blame for the loss in the SB. There was plenty of blame to go around, including the defense and special teams.

The 2013 team...scored over 400 points and more points than the 2012 team despite not having Crabtree for more than half the season and not having him at full strength when he did play. The OL also had its first major injuries in the last couple of years. Kap, under Harbuagh, struggled through much of the season but played his best football down the stretch and was the main reason offensively they won on the road in GB and Carolina and came within 1 play of beating Seattle in Seattle.

The 49ers had a talented roster when Harbaugh arrived but most of that talent was on defense. It was the offense, especially the QB position, that was the biggest problem for the 49ers and Harbaugh fixed that immediately in the short term with Smith and in the long term with Kap. You're taking Harbaugh for granted, which is beyond silly when he's 36-11-1 in the regular season, 5-3 in the playoffs (including 3 road playoff wins). The Patriots have been to the last 3 straight AFC Championship Games as well, lost 2 and lost 1 SB, guess their coach isn't any good either.

As for Carroll, the Seahawks won the SB so he gets the credit but lets not forget, Seattle very easily could have and probably should have lost to the Texans, Rams and/or Tampa and they were still just 1 game better than the 49ers during the regular season and 1 play better in the NFC Championship Game...For that matter, but for the controversial call in the 49ers-Saints game, the 49ers could have played Seattle in SF and the outcome probably would have been different.

Bottom line...Harbaugh and Kap are the two most important pieces to the 49ers. End of story.
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
unfortunately he very much is, we've had the best team in the nfl the last 3yrs w/ no superbowls to show for it

i know people say look how harbaugh turned us around...well i'd give most of that credit to vic fangio

if harbaugh didn't have fangio and his staff of tomsula/donatell etc making us amazing on defense then he'd be getting run out of town by now because the offense hasn't taken the next step even though it has weapons like crabtree/davis/boldin out there

i don't blame roman, that's weak...jim harbaugh is an offensive head coach he doesn't even touch the defense so he's the main issue here as to why the best team in football has failed to win the superbowl now for the last 3yrs

This is nothing more than ill conceived revisionist history....The truth is that Harbaugh is conservatively one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL. Three straight NFC Championship Games, one of which they lost in OT and one they lost on basically the last play of the game.

As for Harbaugh's role with the offense, let's see...the 2011 team, he turned Alex Smith around from borderline starter to an efficient winning QB that went into the NFC Championship game with an injured Crabtree, Kyle Williams and Joe Hastings at WR and a worn down Gore from all the work he had to do in the regular season.'

The 2012 team, he changed QBs in the middle of the season, which allowed the 49ers offense to take off and carry the 49ers through the playoffs with the defense hurting and faltering through much of the playoffs...lets not forget that the offense put up 29 points in the SB, but the defense and special teams gave up 34...The slow starts were a valid criticism but at the end of the day, but lets not make it out like the 49ers' offense was solely to blame for the loss in the SB. There was plenty of blame to go around, including the defense and special teams.

The 2013 team...scored over 400 points and more points than the 2012 team despite not having Crabtree for more than half the season and not having him at full strength when he did play. The OL also had its first major injuries in the last couple of years. Kap, under Harbuagh, struggled through much of the season but played his best football down the stretch and was the main reason offensively they won on the road in GB and Carolina and came within 1 play of beating Seattle in Seattle.

The 49ers had a talented roster when Harbaugh arrived but most of that talent was on defense. It was the offense, especially the QB position, that was the biggest problem for the 49ers and Harbaugh fixed that immediately in the short term with Smith and in the long term with Kap. You're taking Harbaugh for granted, which is beyond silly when he's 36-11-1 in the regular season, 5-3 in the playoffs (including 3 road playoff wins). The Patriots have been to the last 3 straight AFC Championship Games as well, lost 2 and lost 1 SB, guess their coach isn't any good either.

As for Carroll, the Seahawks won the SB so he gets the credit but lets not forget, Seattle very easily could have and probably should have lost to the Texans, Rams and/or Tampa and they were still just 1 game better than the 49ers during the regular season and 1 play better in the NFC Championship Game...For that matter, but for the controversial call in the 49ers-Saints game, the 49ers could have played Seattle in SF and the outcome probably would have been different.

Bottom line...Harbaugh and Kap are the two most important pieces to the 49ers. End of story.

Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone know who gets to talk to Kap using the helmet earphone? Is it connected to only one other source (1 person limit) or can there be multiple persons speaking to Kap's helmet?

its harbaugh, harbaugh is in kap's ear

I read an article last year that said Roman is in charge of calling the plays and relating them to the QB but that Harbaugh can change things as he sees fit. I'm not sure what the limit is on communication other than it is turned off before the play is run.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone know who gets to talk to Kap using the helmet earphone? Is it connected to only one other source (1 person limit) or can there be multiple persons speaking to Kap's helmet?

its harbaugh, harbaugh is in kap's ear

I read an article last year that said Roman is in charge of calling the plays and relating them to the QB but that Harbaugh can change things as he sees fit. I'm not sure what the limit is on communication other than it is turned off before the play is run.

Thanks for this dtg.... just because someone is doing something well doesn't mean they can't do it better. And even JH believes this ... "if you're not getting better..."
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Thanks for this dtg.... just because someone is doing something well doesn't mean they can't do it better. And even JH believes this ... "if you're not getting better..."

Agree and believe all the slow decisions killed many drives this year...took the steam out of the offense. As Kaepernick becomes more experienced I would expect this to improve. At some point he'll ignore the coaches if they are too slow and just call his own plays...I hope! Smith was a victim of this type of coaching lethargy...and I hope CK will not be as respectful if they can't make up their damn minds.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
unfortunately he very much is, we've had the best team in the nfl the last 3yrs w/ no superbowls to show for it

i know people say look how harbaugh turned us around...well i'd give most of that credit to vic fangio

if harbaugh didn't have fangio and his staff of tomsula/donatell etc making us amazing on defense then he'd be getting run out of town by now because the offense hasn't taken the next step even though it has weapons like crabtree/davis/boldin out there

i don't blame roman, that's weak...jim harbaugh is an offensive head coach he doesn't even touch the defense so he's the main issue here as to why the best team in football has failed to win the superbowl now for the last 3yrs

This is nothing more than ill conceived revisionist history....The truth is that Harbaugh is conservatively one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL. Three straight NFC Championship Games, one of which they lost in OT and one they lost on basically the last play of the game.

As for Harbaugh's role with the offense, let's see...the 2011 team, he turned Alex Smith around from borderline starter to an efficient winning QB that went into the NFC Championship game with an injured Crabtree, Kyle Williams and Joe Hastings at WR and a worn down Gore from all the work he had to do in the regular season.'

The 2012 team, he changed QBs in the middle of the season, which allowed the 49ers offense to take off and carry the 49ers through the playoffs with the defense hurting and faltering through much of the playoffs...lets not forget that the offense put up 29 points in the SB, but the defense and special teams gave up 34...The slow starts were a valid criticism but at the end of the day, but lets not make it out like the 49ers' offense was solely to blame for the loss in the SB. There was plenty of blame to go around, including the defense and special teams.

The 2013 team...scored over 400 points and more points than the 2012 team despite not having Crabtree for more than half the season and not having him at full strength when he did play. The OL also had its first major injuries in the last couple of years. Kap, under Harbuagh, struggled through much of the season but played his best football down the stretch and was the main reason offensively they won on the road in GB and Carolina and came within 1 play of beating Seattle in Seattle.

The 49ers had a talented roster when Harbaugh arrived but most of that talent was on defense. It was the offense, especially the QB position, that was the biggest problem for the 49ers and Harbaugh fixed that immediately in the short term with Smith and in the long term with Kap. You're taking Harbaugh for granted, which is beyond silly when he's 36-11-1 in the regular season, 5-3 in the playoffs (including 3 road playoff wins). The Patriots have been to the last 3 straight AFC Championship Games as well, lost 2 and lost 1 SB, guess their coach isn't any good either.

As for Carroll, the Seahawks won the SB so he gets the credit but lets not forget, Seattle very easily could have and probably should have lost to the Texans, Rams and/or Tampa and they were still just 1 game better than the 49ers during the regular season and 1 play better in the NFC Championship Game...For that matter, but for the controversial call in the 49ers-Saints game, the 49ers could have played Seattle in SF and the outcome probably would have been different.

Bottom line...Harbaugh and Kap are the two most important pieces to the 49ers. End of story.


Nice
1. Harbaugh probably will have even more input with the 49ers offense, which could mean amping up the passing game.

I've heard that Harbaugh took over additional parts of the 49ers offense towards the end of this season, especially on pass calls.

One NFL source noted that if offensive coordinator Greg Roman had landed a head-coaching job, Harbaugh planned to take over almost all the play-calling responsibilities.

Roman ended up staying with the 49ers, but I think some of the 49ers' offensive struggles in 2013 have Harbaugh thinking about pushing the envelope a little more.

Practical point: The 49ers probably aren't going to beat Seattle strictly by running it; Kaepernick needs more options in the pass game and it sounds like Harbaugh is determined to open up the playbook to see what the QB can do.

That also means Baalke probably has to figure out how to re-sign Anquan Boldin and add a new slot receiver to re-energize that pass attack.


http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/02/04/49ers-points-of-emphasis-going-into-2014-xxx/



i hope so
Originally posted by susweel:
1. Harbaugh probably will have even more input with the 49ers offense, which could mean amping up the passing game.

I've heard that Harbaugh took over additional parts of the 49ers offense towards the end of this season, especially on pass calls.

One NFL source noted that if offensive coordinator Greg Roman had landed a head-coaching job, Harbaugh planned to take over almost all the play-calling responsibilities.

Roman ended up staying with the 49ers, but I think some of the 49ers' offensive struggles in 2013 have Harbaugh thinking about pushing the envelope a little more.

Practical point: The 49ers probably aren't going to beat Seattle strictly by running it; Kaepernick needs more options in the pass game and it sounds like Harbaugh is determined to open up the playbook to see what the QB can do.

That also means Baalke probably has to figure out how to re-sign Anquan Boldin and add a new slot receiver to re-energize that pass attack.


http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/02/04/49ers-points-of-emphasis-going-into-2014-xxx/


i hope so

It's the only way.