Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
its been stated b4 in articles, you're free to go find them if you desire

No thanks. Not worth the effort.

I will just take what you say as your opinion, not fact.

Not sure it makes all that much difference.
can harbaugh call plays? i wonder if he even is the type to be able to do that

People have petitioned for Harbaugh to call his own play...but you bring up a valid point...can he? From the sidelines? In general?
Originally posted by buck:
its been stated b4 in articles, you're free to go find them if you desire

No thanks. Not worth the effort.

I will just take what you say as your opinion, not fact.

Not sure it makes all that much difference.

glad you gave urself a happy ending and i could help

Originally posted by NCommand:
can harbaugh call plays? i wonder if he even is the type to be able to do that

People have petitioned for Harbaugh to call his own play...but you bring up a valid point...can he? From the sidelines? In general?

someone might know whether he called his own plays back at USD....i think i had read david shaw called the passing plays and roman called the run plays at stanford

and in case BUCK wants another orgasm...i do re-call reading harbaugh wanted to bring david shaw along w/ him over roman but stanford picked shaw has successor so he got roman
  • buck
  • Veteran

and in case BUCK wants another orgasm...i do re-call reading harbaugh wanted to bring david shaw along w/ him over roman but stanford picked shaw has successor so he got roman

[ Edited by buck on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM ]

don't play innocent sweetie pie, u've been mocking my "assumptions/opinions/facts".....i don't disappoint, all 3 are on point so enjoy
  • buck
  • Veteran

don't play innocent sweetie pie, u've been mocking my "assumptions/opinions/facts".....i don't disappoint, all 3 are on point so enjoy

OK. Have a good day.
I've never like to criticize coaches because I don't watch the game film from their perspective, but sometimes I don't understand what Roman is doing. Take the first drive after the Aldon forced fumble and recovery. Not one shot into the end zone, nothing. Anybody could have called that uncreative series of plays. The thing is we already were in field goal range, we had three points in the bag so why not go the the end zone. I was really disappointed. Then finally on the final drive, that runningback sweep to LaMichael with the option to pass. That play there kind of showed me that Roman had given up, that he had nothing and it was time for desperation.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Greg Roman talks to the other coaches between series and comes up with a list of plays. He gives Harbaugh the play call on the sideline. Then, Harbaugh sends the call into Kaepernick. Harbaugh is the gate-keeper.

Per Matt Maiocco
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Greg Roman talks to the other coaches between series and comes up with a list of plays. He gives Harbaugh the play call on the sideline. Then, Harbaugh sends the call into Kaepernick. Harbaugh is the gate-keeper.

Per Matt Maiocco

roman is the guy who is hated on, and for good reason, but the under lying issue is what you posted, harbaugh has the last call. 2 things happen, what you do and what you allow to happen. basically if we had another OC i'm not convinced it would be much different.
  • thl408

Per Matt Maiocco

Thanks for that. It appears Roman, with the bird's eye view from the booth, gets a sense of how the defense is playing the 49ers. He will then create a list with plays attacking the coverage that he thinks the opposing defense will play. The issue I see with this flow is that when Harbaugh vetoes a play, is the process of Roman giving JH another play causing the close calls with the playclock?

I would rather it be JH suggests an area/approach to attack the defense, on a drive by drive or play by play basis, then Roman (or one other person) calls the proper plays to achieve what JH suggested. If Jim is going to veto plays from Roman, then just remove Roman from the equation.
  • thl408
Does anyone know who gets to talk to Kap using the helmet earphone? Is it connected to only one other source (1 person limit) or can there be multiple persons speaking to Kap's helmet?
Originally posted by crabman82:
roman is the guy who is hated on, and for good reason, but the under lying issue is what you posted, harbaugh has the last call. 2 things happen, what you do and what you allow to happen. basically if we had another OC i'm not convinced it would be much different.
and thats probably part of the reason they end up bleeding so much of the play clock because those might be instances where Harbs doesn't like what he hears and calls for something else.

All in all, I just want to see a greater emphasis on situational football from a down and distance stand point, get creative, but also its fair to run an obvious play when needed, not every 3 and 1 should be a run but most probably should.
Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone know who gets to talk to Kap using the helmet earphone? Is it connected to only one other source (1 person limit) or can there be multiple persons speaking to Kap's helmet?

its harbaugh, harbaugh is in kap's ear
Originally posted by thl408:

Per Matt Maiocco

Thanks for that. It appears Roman, with the bird's eye view from the booth, gets a sense of how the defense is playing the 49ers. He will then create a list with plays attacking the coverage that he thinks the opposing defense will play. The issue I see with this flow is that when Harbaugh vetoes a play, is the process of Roman giving JH another play causing the close calls with the playclock?

I would rather it be JH suggests an area/approach to attack the defense, on a drive by drive or play by play basis, then Roman (or one other person) calls the proper plays to achieve what JH suggested. If Jim is going to veto plays from Roman, then just remove Roman from the equation.

thl408

Here is where we 100% absolutely agree. I think this arrangement is ridiculous with an OC in his third year. I can understand this configuration for a team just learning a new offense but come on guys - it's year three and Harbs can't trust his staff to call the right plays? This certainly explains the lack of flow that's going on if Roman is "polling" the staff. LOL. I mean really?

.... and I thought my confidence in this coaching arrangement couldn't get any more tenuous.

Guys,

..... and jeff warned me .... I mean I'm not just focusing on one game and you have to think this through ..... is JH learning on the job?