There are 206 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
this thread really isn't that deep guys.

roman needs to use every player and the entire playbook
and keep the foot on the gas until the other team has no shot of coming back.

that mindset we win every game.

And if Kap is at fault and not listening properly to coaching, time for some competition. This is team is too good to be held back by A coordinator or A player.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What are you talking about? We are 11th in total offense? I guess in the Martian Football League we are 11th..

In the NFL, we are 24th in total net yards, 30th in net passing yards, 25th in first downs, 18th in made third down %, 25th in completion percentage.

By "hater" you mean "sober realist".

We have to work very hard to make sure the focus stays on development for Kap and accountability for the coaching staff, who are winning not through offensive success but by enabling a low turnover strategy and relying on our defense.

Truth!
Originally posted by FTBLCRZY:
Just joined your forum after being on the ESPN Forum for Years. Roman is deceptively good at running the ball from power formations. He of all people should have called runs on four consecutive downs to win last year's Super Bowl. Can he cut it up with the pass in a sophisticated manner and keep a good defensive team off balance? The answer is no. Is he good in the Red Zone? No. He produced a Pro Bowl Kicker in Akers for crying out loud. The 49er passing offense could hardly be described as modern!!! Is this coming from Jim Harbaugh? A little too much Mike Ditka mentality in there? Perhaps. It's Roman's Mad Scientist play calling that keeps him from getting a Head Coaching Job anywhere and this is unfortunate because he is holding us back. We lack balance and as long as he is here, this won't change. Harbaugh might really need to take over the play calling on important downs because our conservative, predictable passing game is getting to be ridiculous and a bore to look at.
Welcome and good first post. As other have said Roman could be calling exactly the plays Harbaugh wants so getting another OC would produce the same results.
http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_25062005/kawakami-how-do-49ers-deal-seahawks

supposedly, harbaugh will have more say in the offense now.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_25062005/kawakami-how-do-49ers-deal-seahawks

Let's hope so!

harbaugh has always had say in the offense, he's the head coach and an offensive one at that...he doesn't even pay attention to the defense, he lets vic fangio run that show 100% and focuses his time on the offense so to say harbaugh only now will have more say in the offense is bs

we rip roman but really c'mon guys...harbaugh sends the play in and he's the head coach and he's an offensive guy so the blame really falls on him not roman
Originally posted by iLL49er:

harbaugh has always had say in the offense, he's the head coach and an offensive one at that...he doesn't even pay attention to the defense, he lets vic fangio run that show 100% and focuses his time on the offense so to say harbaugh only now will have more say in the offense is bs

we rip roman but really c'mon guys...harbaugh sends the play in and he's the head coach and he's an offensive guy so the blame really falls on him not roman

100% agree! And remember, this is a 6+ man offensive play calling show here...Harbaugh just approves of each call before it goes into to CK.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

100% agree! And remember, this is, literarlly, a 6+ man offensive play calling show here...Harbaugh just approves of each call before it goes into to CK.

Here are the points raised about Harbaugh taking more control of the offense.

1. Harbaugh probably will have even more input with the 49ers offense, which could mean amping up the passing game.

I've heard that Harbaugh took over additional parts of the 49ers offense toward the end of this season, especially on pass calls.

One NFL source noted that if offensive coordinator Greg Roman had landed a head-coaching job, Harbaugh planned to take over almost all the play-calling responsibilities.

Roman ended up staying, but I think some of the 49ers' offensive struggles in 2013 have Harbaugh thinking about pushing the envelope a little more.

Practical point: The 49ers probably aren't going to beat Seattle strictly by running it; Kaepernick needs more options in the pass game, and it sounds like Harbaugh is determined to open up the playbook to see what the QB can do.

That also means Baalke probably has to figure out how to re-sign Anquan Boldin and add a new slot receiver to re-energize that pass attack.

Calling BS does not really speak to the points raised.

But, what is critical is the play calling next year--not what we think today.
Originally posted by buck:

100% agree! And remember, this is, literarlly, a 6+ man offensive play calling show here...Harbaugh just approves of each call before it goes into to CK.

Here are the points raised about Harbaugh taking more control of the offense.

1. Harbaugh probably will have even more input with the 49ers offense, which could mean amping up the passing game.

I've heard that Harbaugh took over additional parts of the 49ers offense toward the end of this season, especially on pass calls.

One NFL source noted that if offensive coordinator Greg Roman had landed a head-coaching job, Harbaugh planned to take over almost all the play-calling responsibilities.

Roman ended up staying, but I think some of the 49ers' offensive struggles in 2013 have Harbaugh thinking about pushing the envelope a little more.

Practical point: The 49ers probably aren't going to beat Seattle strictly by running it; Kaepernick needs more options in the pass game, and it sounds like Harbaugh is determined to open up the playbook to see what the QB can do.

That also means Baalke probably has to figure out how to re-sign Anquan Boldin and add a new slot receiver to re-energize that pass attack.

Calling BS does not really speak to the points raised.

But, what is critical is the play calling next year--not what we think today.

True...I think the orginal point was that every play call is signed off by Harnaugh himself before going into CK (although, this is an assumption TMBK).

The other issue is that if the passing calls change dramatically, we'll know Roman WAS the primary issue. Also, if Roman was so renowned, why has Harbaugh been assisting more with play calling and why is he going to call more next year?

Like I said all along, I've been hoping Baalke steps in at some point and relieves Roman and hires a true OC who can utilize all of our weapons consistently and is much more well-rounded and experienced...perhaps a better QB coach as well and I hope Baalke turns the offense completely over to this OC (like how the DC is totally left up to Fangio)...this way, Harbaugh can focus on JUST coaching and developing his young QB and the nuances of the game like time management and situational awareness. I can dream...right?
  • buck
  • Veteran
True...I think the orginal point was that every play call is signed off by Harnaugh himself before going into CK (although, this is an assumption TMBK).

The other issue is that if the passing calls change dramatically, we'll know Roman WAS the primary issue. Also, if Roman was so renowned, why has Harbaugh been assisting more with play calling and why is he going to call more next year?

Like I said all along, I've been hoping Baalke steps in at some point and relieves Roman and hires a true OC who can utilize all of our weapons consistently and is much more well-rounded and experienced...perhaps a better QB coach as well and I hope Baalke turns the offense completely over to this OC (like how the DC is totally left up to Fangio)...this way, Harbaugh can focus on JUST coaching and developing his young QB and the nuances of the game like time management and situational awareness. I can dream...right?

The article was speaking about the future. It clearly indicated, rightly or wrongly, that Harbaugh will be more active in setting the passing scheme and the play calling.

Your dreams of Baalke forcing a change at offensive coordinator seem to be well just dreams.

First, we have no indication that Baalke had anything to do with the presumed independence of Fangio. My understanding is that that independence was the result of an agreement between Harbaugh and Fangio. But, my understanding is not based upon anything concrete. I do not know enough to pretend that my assumptions are more than my assumptions.

In the last year, Fangio rotated more on the defensive line and called more blitzes. Those changes might have been due to the influence of Baalke or Baalke and Harbaugh. But, the changes could have been made by Fangio by himself. My best guess, and it only a guess, that these changes were the result of a collaborative effort involving Fangio, Harbaugh, and Baalke.

Based upon the article, it seems that there is a recognized need to improve the passing scheme, passing play calls, and to improve the wide receiving corps. The article may or not be correct.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. In fact, I believe it will more than just interesting.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Roman=Mike Martz Jr
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Roman=Mike Martz Jr

no Roman doesn't know what a passing game is
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Roman=Mike Martz Jr

If Roman was MM Jr. Keap would have put up major passing numbers, major interception numbers, concussed, and out for the playoffs.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Roman=Mike Martz Jr

I meant there both creative as hell but when it comes down to doing the obvious(running in the redzone when your on a roll,etc.) they stick to their stubborn ways because they think there going to out think everyone
Roman=Mike Martz Jr

I meant there both creative as hell but when it comes down to doing the obvious(running in the redzone when your on a roll,etc.) they stick to their stubborn ways because they think there going to out think everyone

you mean like calling for Lamichael James to set up to attempt a halfback option on the last drive of the NFC title game