There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
We could have the deepest roster in the league on both sides of the ball + special teams.

Yet our offense performed inconsistently for various reasons. We couldn't run the ball in the last 6 weeks because we couldn't keep defenses honest. One reason we couldn't do this is because we have little or no quick hitting, short passing game. Another reason is that we use a lot of formations where the defense doesn't have to guess who will be handed the ball. There is usually one person who, for all practical purposes, will get the ball.

Are these behaviors by design or necessity? Not sure. We didn't evolve in these areas during the season did we? I didn't notice if we did. I think we spent a lot of time trying to evolve our down field looks -- either by changing personnel, or changing scheme, or what not.

But I don't think anyone was concerned with getting the second level off the line before the snap, or any other trick that will promote achieving consistent positive yardage for our backs. Maybe the coaches felt that chunk downfield plays will loosen up the D. But I don't think it worked out that way. I think better defenses and coaching did not change their approach very much in this regard.

Will some rookies make a difference here? I don't think so. I think the staff is pretty pleased they finished 14-5 and we'll be seeing it all again next year.

Based on all the above conversation, it looks like we're really excited about Kap improving his hit rate on the chunk downfield plays with healthy receivers. As long as he sells t shirts, what more can management ask.

Berman asked Manning to tell him the secret to their successful offrense that nobody knows about and IMHO, he was spot on.

Manning said re: his receivers, "Once they've seen how much we spread the ball around early in the season, you've got 5 guys running full speed routes every play b/c they expect the ball. That puts a lot of pressure on a defense."

Boy, hasn't THIS been an issue all year long...guys running 1/2-ass routes, not even turned around b/c their part in the AR play was over, bored, guys dropping the one ball thrown their way (concentration/cold), etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 1, 2014 at 6:01 AM ]
You could make a case that the maturity, experience, focus on "intangibles" like that is missing from our current approach. Manning is basically old enough to be a coach. That's why his salary is so big. He is basically QB + QB coach + OC rolled into one.

Spread the ball around? What are you drunk? This is San Francisco.
You could make a case that the maturity, experience, focus on "intangibles" like that is missing from our current approach. Manning is basically old enough to be a coach. That's why his salary is so big. He is basically QB + QB coach + OC rolled into one.

LOL. Nah, it's the scheme that calls for 4 and 5 receivers on every play...Manning is just a master of picking the best option and helping to coach newer receivers within it.

It seems like when we run a spread PS play, CK has at least 2 or 3 real options and he does well in these situations.
Originally posted by NCommand:

LOL. Nah, it's the scheme that calls for 4 and 5 receivers on every play...Manning is just a master of picking the best option and helping to coach newer receivers within it.

It seems like when we run a spread PS play, CK has at least 2 or 3 real options and he does well in these situations.

Yep! Nail on the head.

Buck .... simplified read is AR bud.
Berman asked Manning to tell him the secret to their successful offrense that nobody knows about and IMHO, he was spot on.

Manning said re: his receivers, "Once they've seen how much we spread the ball around early in the season, you've got 5 guys running full speed routes every play b/c they expect the ball. That puts a lot of pressure on a defense."

Boy, hasn't THIS been an issue all year long...guys running 1/2-ass routes, not even turned around b/c their part in the AR play was over, bored, guys dropping the one ball thrown their way (concentration/cold), etc.

Not just an issue this year but each year under the Schembechler offense. You run this much and WR can get complacent. Even Boldin has been noted to take a play off now and then...lesser receivers even more so.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Not just an issue this year but each year under the Schembechler offense. You run this much and WR can get complacent. Even Boldin has been noted to take a play off now and then...lesser receivers even more so.

Absolutely true. Must spread the ball around. Most of our receivers were vastly under-utilized: Gore 16 catches, Hunter 2 catches, James 2, McDonald 8, Celek 2, 2nd through 6th WR combined for 35 catches. Spread the damn ball around!!!. Kap thinks that Crabs is a wizard and is always open, ignores all other receivers and throws to a blanketed Crabtree (even though Hunter was wide open for a likely TD)
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Absolutely true. Must spread the ball around. Most of our receivers were vastly under-utilized: Gore 16 catches, Hunter 2 catches, James 2, McDonald 8, Celek 2, 2nd through 6th WR combined for 35 catches. Spread the damn ball around!!!. Kap thinks that Crabs is a wizard and is always open, ignores all other receivers and throws to a blanketed Crabtree (even though Hunter was wide open for a likely TD)

And as we've seen, teaches your QB bad habits. If you are going to one receiver "no matter what", you (1) tend not to see the whole field and (2) stare down receivers.

Sound familiar?
Originally posted by buck:
I agree. The apparent lack of interest in Roman is telling. I do not think it can be explained simply by the fact that the 49ers have went deep into the play offs.

At the same time, the number of posters who simultaneously lambasted Roman and suggested that he would get a head coaching job is also telling.

In my case, it was more so wishful thinking that someone would take him off our hands. Nothing more. If he doesn't get hired away, I think we are stuck with him until this team truly begins to underachieve (miss the playoffs, have a losing record, running game goes south, etc).
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Part of this is on the OC, IMO. We don't seem to be able to scheme high percentage plays into the offense. We don't run screens. We'll run the same up the gut run play when the box is stacked. It is very easy to defend a team that does not utilize the whole field or their players. Look at the play designs. I think some of it is on Kaep and some of it is on the OC.
Greg Roman is a good offensive coordinator. It does not help that Kap targets Crabs, Boldin, and Davis on 80% of his passes. The pass game was too predictable and enabled teams to focus on those 3 and leave everybody else alone. The Seattle loss showed that Kap needs to figure out progressions and reading the defense. That interception to Kam Chancellor was hideous, I mean just HORRENDOUS. I don't have an issue with the playcall or throw to Crabs in the endzone. Sherman just made an outstanding play.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Greg Roman is a good offensive coordinator. It does not help that Kap targets Crabs, Boldin, and Davis on 80% of his passes. The pass game was too predictable and enabled teams to focus on those 3 and leave everybody else alone. The Seattle loss showed that Kap needs to figure out progressions and reading the defense. That interception to Kam Chancellor was hideous, I mean just HORRENDOUS. I don't have an issue with the playcall or throw to Crabs in the endzone. Sherman just made an outstanding play.

I'm surprised that you think the playcalling and passing game is a product of Kaepernick. He's part of the reason, but he does not call the plays or design them. Why don't we run screens? Why is the playcalling so predictable? Why don't we use our other backs? Why do we run Frank up the middle even though teams are stacking the box? Our playcalling looks very basic once the running game is stopped. There's no plan B it seems. I could understand if the offense was better with Smith here, but it sucked too. Now look at what Smith's doing in KC. The problem IMO is with the coaching staff more than anything.. We haven't had an offense where the QB spread the ball around since maybe Garcia and even he targeted TO a lot (obviously)
Originally posted by MikeRumph:

I agree with you.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,000 for jonesadrian.
5 yards and this super bowl wouldn't even matter to me.

5 yards and im congratulating seattle on doing what we already did the year before. nfc west dominance in effect.

lol
They can take Ricardo Lockette and make him look like a starter.

Lockette couldn't even supposedly crack the starting line-up. Sorry folks, I have no faith this offensive coaching staff knows what it's doing when it comes to developing at WR and game planning with our player's strengths.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
They can take Ricardo Lockette and make him look like a starter.

Lockette couldn't even supposedly crack the starting line-up. Sorry folks, I have no faith this offensive coaching staff knows what it's doing when it comes to developing at WR and game planning with our player's strengths.

Yep, mmm hmm...This. Seattle puts their players in places for them to excel. Think about how Chancelor would look in our defensive backfield? Terrible! He would be 15 yards from the LOS trying to flip his hips and not trip over himself. Instead, they make him a star by playing to his strengths and putting him closer to the LOS. So many examples of how they do this and we don't...