LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by WINiner:
Except Roman is not our pass coordinator, so no not really.

My understanding of our play calling procedure as it sits is this. Roman chooses a run play, Morton chooses a pass play, both are relayed down to Harbaugh who then listens to Romans suggestion for the down and distance, but Harbaugh makes the final decision. This procedure is why we are often sooo damn late getting the play in and to the line of scrimmage.

As I understand it Roman is the genius behind the creative running and the passing game is all on Morton.

How do you know that this is how a play gets relayed in? Honest question. I'm curious how this is public knowledge. In any case, I guess I should have said "can the 49ers continue to be creative?"

If this is the actual chain of events, the 49ers are pretty fast to have all that communication and get to the LOS with time for all this pre-snap motion.
Does anyone know why they don't have one guy to call all plays during the game?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Does anyone know why they don't have one guy to call all plays during the game?

USC did this when Carroll, Kiffin and Sarkesian were there.I hated the idea. I have no idea why Harbaugh decided to do this because I believe everything flows smoother when its one person calling the plays as well. I just think its harder to mesh plays from two different people into a cohesive offense.
So Johnny Morton puts together the game plan for the pass game, and Geep Chryst puts together the game plan for the red zone but Greg Roman calls all the plays during the game – not just the run plays. This according to Grant. So we've failed in the RZ the past 3 years, fail in the passing game (hot/cold/slow starts/inconsistent/pre-determined, one-read passing attack, etc.) but we are "creative" in the run game? Hmmm...I believe I read also a bit back that others, including Mangini provide additional input into game planning and that their "communication" together during game day "is getting better."

The end result is obviously, lots of TO's and delay of games, not having time to check out of plays (running into a brick wall), rushed snaps and now DC's and defenders re publically admitting they know our offense (CK) is a pre-determined, one-read offense; an all-or-nothing offense.

Like the old Singletary dares though, it seems like we're hell-bent on imposing our will on other teams. By sheer talent alone, we can do that the majority of the time. My concerns is when personnel matchups are equal or not in our favor. Keep scheming correctly Roman and pals!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
So Johnny Morton puts together the game plan for the pass game, and Geep Chryst puts together the game plan for the red zone but Greg Roman calls all the plays during the game – not just the run plays. This according to Grant. So we've failed in the RZ the past 3 years, fail in the passing game (hot/col/sow starts/inonsistent/pre-determined, one-read passing attack, etc.) but are "creative" in the run game. I believe I read also a bit back that others, including Mangini provide additional input into game planning and that their communication together during game day "is getting better."

The end result is obviously, lots of TO's and delay of games, not having time to check out of plays (running into a brick wall), rushed snaps and now DC's and defenders publically admitting they know our offense (CK) is a pre-determined, one-read offense; an all-or-nothing offense.

Like the old SIngletary dares though, it seems like we're hell-bent on imposing our will on other teams. By sheer talent alone, we can do that the majority of the time. My concerns is when personnel matchups are equal or not in our favor. Keep scheming correctly Roman and pals!

So in other words, Greg Roman has to make chicken salad out of the chicken shyt game planning or Morton and Chryst? I might have to lay off the guy, a little.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Yup! Still one of the best!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
getting back to the original question... no
1st half grade a

2nd half grade c- this game lasted entirely too long. it should have been over.. chew 7 minutes on one drive.. call another one of those and the titans don't even have enough possessions to score 17 points.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

wrong.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
So in other words, Greg Roman has to make chicken salad out of the chicken shyt game planning or Morton and Chryst? I might have to lay off the guy, a little.

It "may" not be just him. The issues could be grounded in the "type" of offense we run in the NFL and fundamentally, how plays are determined in the game plan and relayed and decided on game day. I'm willing to concede it may not be all Roman's fault here, now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by cciowa:

wrong.

letting up on the gas in the second half is going to bite us one of these days. we are winning despite roman
  • thl408
49ers had an 11 play FG drive to open the game and a 12 play TD drive to open the 2nd half. Credit has to go to Roman (or whoever calls the plays). After it was 24-0, any team would let off the gas in the 2nd half, on the road, versus an inept TEN offense. There was no need to risk doing the TEN offense any favors by playing into their defensive strength (throwing the ball) and possibly committing a turnover that gets them back into the game. Once the offensive playbook was dialed back, give some credit to the TEN defense. They are a solid unit.

One play stood out to me and it involved scheming VD to pick up an important 3rd down conversion. 3rd and 3 with 9:20 remaining in the 3rd period. After the ball is snapped, VD comes running across the formation, while behind the line of scrimmage. VD's defender has to fight through interference, from his own teammate, and has no chance of catching up to VD. Easy reception, easy conversion.
[ Edited by thl408 on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM ]
I love the fact that for almost 4 games straight, the offense is clearly in attack mode.

Don't give a f**k what anyone says, props to Roman.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I love the fact that for almost 4 games straight, the offense is clearly in attack mode.

Don't give a f**k what anyone says, props to Roman.

he's getting there. he just shouldn't have wasted 2 games basically messing around.

this is who we've always been. he still needs to get kyle williams out of there.

but im glad macdonald is in more. and he should be in even more

and im glad hunter is in more he needs to get more touches.

we're getting there.

i thought and still think this is the year where we put it together elite offense and elite defense
Share 49ersWebzone