LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dj43:
Another article up today about Roman and becoming an HC. IMO, he may need to get out from under Harbaugh before he gets an HC gig. It has become clear that the 49ers struggle in the red zone and in the passing game in general. Other teams see that. They are left to wonder if it is all Roman's fault or is Harbaugh the culprit. Since it is clear that Harbaugh is not going to let Roman do anything without his approval, teams don't know who the real Greg Roman is. Hence, when he interviews he has no clear resume that clearly points to him as a savior for a bad team. What other teams see is a very talented roster that can't score touchdowns. Why would they want to hire the OC from that?

I would really like to know who is handling the lions share of the offense because I need someone to get mad at. I'm hoping it's Roman because if it's Harbaugh then we will always have aconservative, archaic offense no matter the OC. I'm actually worried about this. With the talent at O, it should be much better.
Originally posted by WeDidIt:
Another article up today about Roman and becoming an HC. IMO, he may need to get out from under Harbaugh before he gets an HC gig. It has become clear that the 49ers struggle in the red zone and in the passing game in general. Other teams see that. They are left to wonder if it is all Roman's fault or is Harbaugh the culprit. Since it is clear that Harbaugh is not going to let Roman do anything without his approval, teams don't know who the real Greg Roman is. Hence, when he interviews he has no clear resume that clearly points to him as a savior for a bad team. What other teams see is a very talented roster that can't score touchdowns. Why would they want to hire the OC from that?

I would really like to know who is handling the lions share of the offense because I need someone to get mad at. I'm hoping it's Roman because if it's Harbaugh then we will always have aconservative, archaic offense no matter the OC. I'm actually worried about this. With the talent at O, it should be much better.

harbaugh is the HC and calls the play into kap..i think you have your goat right there

I'm worried too...I could never tease the primary responsibility out so I just referred to "it" as HaRoMan (but I'm also missing 3 or 4 others here as well). If I had to guess, I'd say Roman is an average-at-best OC and that he is also trying to execute an average offense based off Harbaugh's philosophy; much how Raye claimed he was only calling plays based off Singletary's mindset (true or not). So while it starts with a poor (or archaic) offensive philosophy in Harbaugh, it's not also realized with an inexperienced OC in Roman either.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'm worried too...I could never tease the primary responsibility out so I just referred to "it" as HaRoMan (but I'm also missing 3 or 4 others here as well). If I had to guess, I'd say Roman is an average-at-best OC and that he is also trying to execute an average offense based off Harbaugh's philosophy; much how Raye claimed he was only calling plays based off Singletary's mindset (true or not). So while it starts with a poor (or archaic) offensive philosophy in Harbaugh, it's not also realized with an inexperienced OC in Roman either.

its harbaugh. i'll give u 2 examples

they had andrew luck and they relatively speaking didn't throw that much w/ the best qb in college football on their team

then....last year under bruce arians he utilized luck and threw a lot....indy hires pep hamilton (harbaugh disciple) who comes in and tries to make it a run first offense and takes the ball away from Luck....then by about 3/4 of the way thru the year he finally realized (prob told by pagano) that this is luck's team and start running the offense through him

just some observations but its clear, harbaugh is the goat we want to rip here, not roman
Originally posted by iLL49er:
its harbaugh. i'll give u 2 examples

they had andrew luck and they relatively speaking didn't throw that much w/ the best qb in college football on their team

then....last year under bruce arians he utilized luck and threw a lot....indy hires pep hamilton (harbaugh disciple) who comes in and tries to make it a run first offense and takes the ball away from Luck....then by about 3/4 of the way thru the year he finally realized (prob told by pagano) that this is luck's team and start running the offense through him

just some observations but its clear, harbaugh is the goat we want to rip here, not roman

Then we have a big problem. What input does Roman have then?
i think all the coaches get together to create the game plan..roman picks the plays and relays them to harbaugh who then either sends that play into kap or changes it

regardless all nuance aside, harbaugh is the one in kap's ear telling him the play via the microphone and he is roman's boss and is an offensive guy..he can change the play calls if he sees fit

i blame harbaugh much more than roman
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
JH is the head of the rattlesnake and should be held accountable. when we try to do this we get accused of wanting nolan back i hate roman and he deserves all the beatings one human being could possibly endure but yes,, JH should be held accountable

I agree that Harbaugh and Roman should be held accountable, but ......
[ Edited by buck on Feb 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
JH is the head of the rattlesnake and should be held accountable. when we try to do this we get accused of wanting nolan back i hate roman and he deserves all the beatings one human being could possibly endure but yes,, JH should be held accountable

I agree that Harbaugh and Roman should be held accountable, but ......
JH is the head coach,, thus he is the head of the rattlesnake, i hate roman, thus he should be beaten. i should stop saying the word thus
  • buck
  • Veteran
JH is the head coach,, thus he is the head of the rattlesnake, i hate roman, thus he should be beaten. i should stop saying the word thus

OK. I can not wait for the hyperbole next year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

nor can i wait for a new batch of romanexcuses next year. his bath water drinkers certainly will have lots of time to develop them over the off season. I am sorry but i tend to think head coaches should be held accountable for their coaches.

Inject new talent at receiver. That would over come any Roman conservatism, lack of knowledge on the passing game, and play calling the game like 3pts lead going into the 4th qtr is enough to win the game. I want 4 receivers buzzing around the field so Kaep don't have to think about s**t. He can actually sees that they are open.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Inject new talent at receiver. That would over come any Roman conservatism, lack of knowledge on the passing game, and play calling the game like 3pts lead going into the 4th qtr is enough to win the game.

you are assuming , of course, that roman would know how to use any new talent that we inject i frankly believe, had we got gordon, he would have set on the bench
  • buck
  • Veteran

nor can i wait for a new batch of romanexcuses next year. his bath water drinkers certainly will have lots of time to develop them over the off season. I am sorry but i tend to think head coaches should be held accountable for their coaches.

You are sorry? OK.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Inject new talent at receiver. That would over come any Roman conservatism, lack of knowledge on the passing game, and play calling the game like 3pts lead going into the 4th qtr is enough to win the game.

you are assuming , of course, that roman would know how to use any new talent that we inject i frankly believe, had we got gordon, he would have set on the bench

or he'd get one pass thrown his way for a big gain, then not see another pass for the rest of the game.
Good grief, I go away for 3 weeks for knee replacement #5, come back and AMAZINGLY this thread is STILL alive? I get it, if no one wants greg, ok. But jeez, Coach, does he HAVE to stay here and just pizz away one NFCC , SB and NFCC after another? Coach, ever think back about the two plays we lost with the last two yrs? Minus an eyelash or two, it was the same damn play...one too high...one too low. Coach...oh, Coaaaaach. Any comment on that? Any reason, even a tiny one to think of getting a top flite OC in here? I guess it doesn't mean anything to you but to us, there is a reason roman is still around here...and it isn't because he is the best OC around. It is the opposite. Please, JH, take us out of our misery, promote roman to chief head administrator, and get us an OC who has the stones to win the big one. You realize, we could legitimately have had 2 more SB rings except for C.S. playcalling where the hair gets short. Fix that and win yourself a SB. Leave it be and stack up the also rans trophies.
Share 49ersWebzone