There are 132 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
it's time to start thinking about thinking the impossible. [b]harbaugh being let go after his contract is up[/b] because he hasn't won the big one. eddie d considered firing walsh. eddie d whispers to jed. balkke and harbaugh have been rumored to have disagreements.
I ran into a friend who is a successful business man and a season ticket holder since the 60's - his point is that the owners are probably starting to get really frustrated.
My take is that harbaugh's loyalty to roman may cost him his job.

Let go a guy who has made it to 3 straight NFC Championships in 3 years of coaching.....

This lol. How the fuk can the owners be frustrated when the standard for 10 years before Harbaugh arrived was Top 10 picks in the draft, Top 5 team in the league.

Let go of Harbs, lol!!

This is why I prefer the Webzone instead of watching funny videos / movies... it's more entertaining in here

Actually, it seems kind of sad. We finally have a winning team--and it seems that intensity of the criticism has gone up. Go figure mucking up.

Sweet Baby Jesus

O.K. a small defence of harbaugh being let go after his contract runs out. lets just say that next year we don't make the playoffs. in a tough division, a couple of tough losses, not out of the question. now lets say that our team doesnt really progress much next year. this wont be enough to get harbaugh fired. however now harbaugh goes into his contract year (year 5). lets just say for the sake of argument that the front office wants to make some coaching changes on harbaugh's staff. but harbaugh is loyal to his staff and refuses. the season doesn't go well. they either don't make the playoffs or back into the playoffs and then are 1 and done. harbaugh wants a new contract with a fair raise in salary. harbaugh's a free agent. what do the 9ers do? Consider other coaches who have had playoff success. andy reid - let go. marty schottenhiemer - let go. chuck knoxx - let go. George seifert - let go. Maybe the 9ers look to change because they believe the talent to win is there but the coaching staff was unable bring it out. Now all you webzone posters - can you guarantee that we will make the playoffs next year? are you sure the team will show progress? after all we are already playing at a high level. Is it possible that that this is harbaugh's high water mark?
I think the tell will be if the 9ers offer an extension to harbaugh after next year. If they don't, then there is more going on behind closed doors than we know. this is a business after all.

I, for one, hope for a superbowl next year. but they are hard to obtain
[ Edited by Kezar1965 on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
it's time to start thinking about thinking the impossible. [b]harbaugh being let go after his contract is up[/b] because he hasn't won the big one. eddie d considered firing walsh. eddie d whispers to jed. balkke and harbaugh have been rumored to have disagreements.
I ran into a friend who is a successful business man and a season ticket holder since the 60's - his point is that the owners are probably starting to get really frustrated.
My take is that harbaugh's loyalty to roman may cost him his job.

Let go a guy who has made it to 3 straight NFC Championships in 3 years of coaching.....

This lol. How the fuk can the owners be frustrated when the standard for 10 years before Harbaugh arrived was Top 10 picks in the draft, Top 5 team in the league.

Let go of Harbs, lol!!

This is why I prefer the Webzone instead of watching funny videos / movies... it's more entertaining in here

Actually, it seems kind of sad. We finally have a winning team--and it seems that intensity of the criticism has gone up. Go figure mucking up.

Sweet Baby Jesus

O.K. a small defence of harbaugh being let go after his contract runs out. lets just say that next year we don't make the playoffs. in a tough division, a couple of tough losses, not out of the question. now lets say that our team doesnt really progress much next year. this wont be enough to get harbaugh fired. however now harbaugh goes into his contract year (year 5). lets just say for the sake of argument that the front office wants to make some coaching changes on harbaugh's staff. but harbaugh is loyal to his staff and refuses. the season doesn't go well. they either don't make the playoffs or back into the playoffs and then are 1 and done. harbaugh wants a new contract with a fair raise in salary. harbaugh's a free agent. what do the 9ers do? Consider other coaches who have had playoff success. andy reid - let go. marty schottenhiemer - let go. chuck knoxx - let go. George seifert - let go. Maybe the 9ers look to change because they believe the talent to win is there but the coaching staff was unable bring it out. Now all you webzone posters - can you guarantee that we will make the playoffs next year? are you sure the team will show progress? after all we are already playing at a high level. Is it possible that that this is harbaugh's high water mark?
I think the tell will be if the 9ers offer an extension to harbaugh after next year. If they don't, then there is more going on behind closed doors than we know. this is a business after all.

I, for one, hope for a superbowl next year. but they are hard to obtain

In that scenario, it is not out of the realm of possibility, but until that happens they would be stupid to even consider it.

It would be about 1000 times worse than when they got rid of Mooch because his playoff record was not good enough. Then we didn't sniff the playoffs for almost a decade in te worst division in football.

I'm more of the belief that until Roman shows he can consistently win a game when the rushing attack is taken away, then the finger should point at him.

Instead, when our run game is stuffed, his playcalls get as ridiculous as trying pitch plays backed up against our endzone (Rams), trying a HB toss back to the QB (Seahawks...thank God LMJ was smart enough to know not to throw it), etc.

We could go on and on about his failures (see Greg Roman thread)
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Jan 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM ]
Let go of Harbaugh?! wtf is wrong with people here. Do you realize how much he accomplished in 3 years? Do you realize how hard is it to win a superbowl? Jeez many teams would kill to have our last 3 years of success.
Get rid of JH???

Someone has been taking some bad acid.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
In that scenario, it is not out of the realm of possibility, but until that happens they would be stupid to even consider it.

It would be about 1000 times worse than when they got rid of Mooch because his playoff record was not good enough. Then we didn't sniff the playoffs for almost a decade in te worst division in football.

I'm more of the belief that until Roman shows he can consistently win a game when the rushing attack is taken away, then the finger should point at him.

Instead, when our run game is stuffed, his playcalls get as ridiculous as trying pitch plays backed up against our endzone (Rams), trying a HB toss back to the QB (Seahawks...thank God LMJ was smart enough to know not to throw it), etc.

We could go on and on about his failures (see Greg Roman thread)

Yeah, that seems like a trend. When the run game gets stuffed, out come the smoke and mirrors. Out come the gadget plays. It's weird, a little helpless. It tells the other team it's desperation time and we have no sane response. How about a swing pass; a fake to gore -- a roll out, and a swing pass to gore. Something like that. Why the doohickey fake triple end arounds or flea flickers. It's not right.
Is he still here? LOL
Originally posted by NCommand:
Is he still here? LOL

I'm still waiting to hear whether it's all Roman or if the method for play calling, game management, and game planning are also to blame. I just don't know that the way they work their system is fluid enough. Too slow and just when they are rolling...everything has to come to a halt while they change personnel groups or put in a Gore runs into the world type play. Harbaugh has to see that so if it is Roman and there isn't a change...then it's really not just Roman. So, I'm not really on the warpath for Roman's head, and I like the success they've had...so conflicted! LOL!
The lack of niner assistants getting jobs leads me to believe that the league doesn't view our coaching staff as superior.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
The lack of niner assistants getting jobs leads me to believe that the league doesn't view our coaching staff as superior.

Or the 49ers success has hurt them because most teams don't want to wait this long to hire a coach.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Or the 49ers success has hurt them because most teams don't want to wait this long to hire a coach.

Most likely this.

No I think the league views our strong roster and Harbaugh as the reason for our success. Our coordinators are average best, they dont really out scheme anybody or call superior plays.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Most likely this.

+1

No I think the league views our strong roster and Harbaugh as the reason for our success. Our coordinators are average best, they dont really out scheme anybody or call superior plays.

I would agree with you on Greg Roman, but I think Vic Fangio is a strong co-ordinator. He is losing out because he is coaching late into the season and there is a huge trend toward offensive HCs.
JH has done a fine job as HC. GR has done ok as the OC. We need to let them learn from their mistakes and make better use of the talent they have around them. Lets not get carried away here. The 49ers have been a mess for the better part of 10 years before Harbaugh arrived 3 years ago and all he's don is make it to a SB and two other NFCCGs that were both HEARTBREAKING losses that could have went the other way by inches!!!! We'll get there, its just gonna take paying some dues and getting better use out of this talented roster.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I would agree with you on Greg Roman, but I think Vic Fangio is a strong co-ordinator. He is losing out because he is coaching late into the season and there is a huge trend toward offensive HCs.

Fangio may be suffering from Norv Turner syndrome...better DC than a HCing candidate. He's never been a HC at any level, which would give most teams pause.
Share 49erswebzone