There are 268 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Disturbing, Crabtree blanketed and Hunter wide open. Hunter probably would have scored with a short simple pass.

When kap let it go hunter was covered. If he had held onto it long enough for hunter to get open kap would have gotten sacked.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Here is the issue that we've seen all year long, only magnified in the playoffs.

First down runs (production) setting up constant 2nd and longs playing into the hands of an aggressive secondary and pass rush.
Gore - 1, 2, -1, 0, 2, -1, 9, 0
Hunter/James - 3, 11, 0
CK - 17, 58, -1, 22, -8, 4

And if you're wondering how many times we passed on first downs?
6 times...4 incompletes with 2 completions for 33 yards

This is downright pathetic predictable play calling (and execution) esp. when we have ALL of our talent on the field together and the defense is clearly honing in with 8-10 in the box on first down runs right up the gut. Gore's only successful run was off tackle (a play best used for Hunter). All of our passes were intermediate-deep passes and low % plays (almost always to the sidelines) save for one (VD in the middle of the field late in 4Q).

As an OC/offensive system, you HAVE to give your young QB and team a chance to produce on first downs (4+ yards; whether that's via AR1 or 2 or PS)...something, ANYTHING positive so that the playbook can be opened on 2nd and manageable situations.

We played right into the strengths of Seattle's defense IMHO.

Exactly. How about a few 5 yard passes to the RB and TE to move the chains, tire out their defense, = ball control passing game (I thought they had Bill Walsh's old video tapes)
it's time to start thinking about thinking the impossible. harbaugh being let go after his contract is up because he hasn't won the big one. eddie d considered firing walsh. eddie d whispers to jed. balkke and harbaugh have been rumored to have disagreements.
I ran into a friend who is a successful business man and a season ticket holder since the 60's - his point is that the owners are probably starting to get really frustrated.
My take is that harbaugh's loyalty to roman may cost him his job.
Disturbing, Crabtree blanketed and Hunter wide open. Hunter probably would have scored with a short simple pass.

Hunter wasn't even close to open, he was blanketed. People need to stop looking at guys running open after the pass has been thrown and claiming that they were "open." Everyone is "open" when the defense is reacting and moving to the ball.
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
it's time to start thinking about thinking the impossible. harbaugh being let go after his contract is up because he hasn't won the big one. eddie d considered firing walsh. eddie d whispers to jed. balkke and harbaugh have been rumored to have disagreements.
I ran into a friend who is a successful business man and a season ticket holder since the 60's - his point is that the owners are probably starting to get really frustrated.

Let go a guy who has made it to 3 straight NFC Championships in 3 years of coaching.....

Originally posted by NCommand:
Here is the issue that we've seen all year long, only magnified in the playoffs.

First down runs (production) setting up constant 2nd and longs playing into the hands of an aggressive secondary and pass rush.
Gore - 1, 2, -1, 0, 2, -1, 9, 0
Hunter/James - 3, 11, 0
CK - 17, 58, -1, 22, -8, 4

And if you're wondering how many times we passed on first downs?
6 times...4 incompletes with 2 completions for 33 yards

This is downright pathetic predictable play calling (and execution) esp. when we have ALL of our talent on the field together and the defense is clearly honing in with 8-10 in the box on first down runs right up the gut. Gore's only successful run was off tackle (a play best used for Hunter). All of our passes were intermediate-deep passes and low % plays (almost always to the sidelines) save for one (VD in the middle of the field late in 4Q).

As an OC/offensive system, you HAVE to give your young QB and team a chance to produce on first downs (4+ yards; whether that's via AR1 or 2 or PS)...something, ANYTHING positive so that the playbook can be opened on 2nd and manageable situations.

We played right into the strengths of Seattle's defense IMHO.

Exactly. How about a few 5 yard passes to the RB and TE to move the chains, tire out their defense, = ball control passing game (I thought they had Bill Walsh's old video tapes)

Agree. Our 1st down production has never been worse than it was this past Sunday. I swear every 2nd down we had was 10 or more yards to go. It's a miracle we even scored 17 points.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Let go a guy who has made it to 3 straight NFC Championships in 3 years of coaching.....

This lol. How the fuk can the owners be frustrated when the standard for 10 years before Harbaugh arrived was Top 10 picks in the draft, Top 5 team in the league.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ether:

This lol. How the fuk can the owners be frustrated when the standard for 10 years before Harbaugh arrived was Top 10 picks in the draft, Top 5 team in the league.

Let go of Harbs, lol!!

This is why I prefer the Webzone instead of watching funny videos / movies... it's more entertaining in here
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

Let go of Harbs, lol!!

This is why I prefer the Webzone instead of watching funny videos / movies... it's more entertaining in here

Actually, it seems kind of sad. We finally have a winning team--and it seems that intensity of the criticism has gone up. Go figure mucking up.
its not jim

jim is a motivator of men.
they will run through a wall and go into hell for jim

don't bring his name up

jim is too loyal to roman

he needs to take absolute control in certain situations.

he should automatically take over when the game is on the line and call the plays himself as the head coach.

i think that alone will change things a lot.

if he calls the 3 plays in the super bowl we're the champs. cause he damn sure isn't calling the same play 3 times in a row

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Actually, it seems kind of sad. We finally have a winning team--and it seems that intensity of the criticism has gone up. Go figure mucking up.

It's hard to get over the last lost

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
its not jim

jim is a motivator of men.
they will run through a wall and go into hell for jim

don't bring his name up

jim is too loyal to roman

he needs to take absolute control in certain situations.

he should automatically take over when the game is on the line and call the plays himself as the head coach.

i think that alone will change things a lot.

if he calls the 3 plays in the super bowl we're the champs. cause he damn sure isn't calling the same play 3 times in a row

...and Roman could lay off the Twinkies
Staff performance has room for improvement. Harbaugh is not immune.

You could make the case staff is under performing given there are 8 (9) all pros on the roster.

That list doesn't include Boldin + Crabs + Boone + ADavis + ASmith +Whitner +Miller.

This team seems loaded. Yet our d had a hard time dominating anyone for 4 quarters of play. And the offense was inconsistent all season long.

Both trends finally cost us. I think you can make the case there is room for improvement.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Staff performance has room for improvement. Harbaugh is not immune.

You could make the case staff is under performing given there are 8 (9) all pros on the roster.

That list doesn't include Boldin + Crabs + Boone + ADavis + ASmith +Whitner +Miller.

This team seems loaded. Yet our d had a hard time dominating anyone for 4 quarters of play. And the offense was inconsistent all season long.

Both trends finally cost us. I think you can make the case there is room for improvement.

There is absolutely room for improvement. The team needs to start with it's offensive play calling. Whether it's replacing Roman or just finding an offensive consultant to help him out.

I would love the Niners to bring Holmgren or Shanahan as a consultant and get rid of Mangini.

I think they're past their prime as actual coaches but replace Mangini with one of them who actually knows offense and they may be able to help develop a stronger passing game.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
it's time to start thinking about thinking the impossible. [b]harbaugh being let go after his contract is up[/b] because he hasn't won the big one. eddie d considered firing walsh. eddie d whispers to jed. balkke and harbaugh have been rumored to have disagreements.

Let go of Harbs, lol!!

Sweet Baby Jesus
Originally posted by jimrat:
it's time to start thinking about thinking the impossible. [b]harbaugh being let go after his contract is up[/b] because he hasn't won the big one. eddie d considered firing walsh. eddie d whispers to jed. balkke and harbaugh have been rumored to have disagreements.

Let go of Harbs, lol!!

Sweet Baby Jesus

O.K. a small defence of harbaugh being let go after his contract runs out. lets just say that next year we don't make the playoffs. in a tough division, a couple of tough losses, not out of the question. now lets say that our team doesnt really progress much next year. this wont be enough to get harbaugh fired. however now harbaugh goes into his contract year (year 5). lets just say for the sake of argument that the front office wants to make some coaching changes on harbaugh's staff. but harbaugh is loyal to his staff and refuses. the season doesn't go well. they either don't make the playoffs or back into the playoffs and then are 1 and done. harbaugh wants a new contract with a fair raise in salary. harbaugh's a free agent. what do the 9ers do? Consider other coaches who have had playoff success. andy reid - let go. marty schottenhiemer - let go. chuck knoxx - let go. George seifert - let go. Maybe the 9ers look to change because they believe the talent to win is there but the coaching staff was unable bring it out. Now all you webzone posters - can you guarantee that we will make the playoffs next year? are you sure the team will show progress? after all we are already playing at a high level. Is it possible that that this is harbaugh's high water mark?
I think the tell will be if the 9ers offer an extension to harbaugh after next year. If they don't, then there is more going on behind closed doors than we know. this is a business after all.

I, for one, hope for a superbowl next year. but they are hard to obtain
[ Edited by Kezar1965 on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone