There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Wait so Roman was the one who threw the pick in the endzone????

No,but this 1970's style passing offense needs an upgrade, badly. Quarterback performance and playcalling are all included in that. Kaepernick needs to sit and watch tape of this game over and over until he fully understands why that was a bad pass to throw at that point in the game. The pass itself was on the money and Sherman made a phenomenal play on it, but it wasn't necessary, he had guys open elsewhere, they had time and 2 timeouts, enough to move down the field progressively and even try to run it into the endzone.


The passing offense needs to expand, the constant runs on first down into a loaded box need to stop. More playaction, more bootlegs, slants, screens, get the RB's more involved in the passing offense as well as secondary targets such as Patton and McDonald.


Just FWIW, I think it was 12 rushes on 1st Down that netted 30 yards....not real good and worse when you see that 20 yards came on 2 of the carries, and another carry was a 4-yd run by CK, offhand don't recall if it was a scramble or designed run. So yeah, a little too predictable on the 1st down runs...and going back to 49ers' first play of game after fumble recovery, would've loved to see play-action there with a shot to the end-zone....but leopard, spots.

As for CK's last pass, even if he says it wasn't a factor, still think somewhere between him and Roman were the ghosts of SB47...if they work the middle and get down inside the 10, then there it is again, closing seconds and 1st & Goal where now everything is more compressed on the field. For me, I thought they should've went ahead and called the TO after Davis' catch made 1st/10 @ the 18 with must've been around 47-48 seconds left...but instead clock ran and CK took the very ill-advised shot.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jan 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM ]
People want to blame Kap for losing this game, and he definitely does not go without some blame, but as soon as Seattle scored to take the lead everyone knew that would spark their defense and their fans.

Instead of Roman trying to call plays to get the offense going in rhythm to quiet the crowd, he comes out and runs a sweep with LaMichael James where it looked like he tried to have him throw it back to Kap.

Why the hell would you call that play?!

This is the kind of garbage that I am sick of. It seems like our players aren't the only ones getting rattled. Our own offensive coordinator is in the booth scrambling for ANYTHING to work.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,933
I've seen this guy tear up a box of Twinkies and extra large pie of pizza in under 2 minutes, he's good!

On the game, though, he's not responsible for the turnovers; our D giving up 23 points; and the "13th man" (corrupt officials)...
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
People want to blame Kap for losing this game, and he definitely does not go without some blame, but as soon as Seattle scored to take the lead everyone knew that would spark their defense and their fans.

Instead of Roman trying to call plays to get the offense going in rhythm to quiet the crowd, he comes out and runs a sweep with LaMichael James where it looked like he tried to have him throw it back to Kap.

Why the hell would you call that play?!

This is the kind of garbage that I am sick of. It seems like our players aren't the only ones getting rattled. Our own offensive coordinator is in the booth scrambling for ANYTHING to work.

Yeah, I'm starting to sense rattled coaching also.
still at no point used the full arsenal
STILL at no point
lol
reverted to fake option plays
cute gadget plays
gone are the screens
stacked wr's
and everything else he fooled us into thinking he would continue to do

when the s**t was on the line
he folded.

this is the 2nd time.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
People want to blame Kap for losing this game, and he definitely does not go without some blame, but as soon as Seattle scored to take the lead everyone knew that would spark their defense and their fans.

Instead of Roman trying to call plays to get the offense going in rhythm to quiet the crowd, he comes out and runs a sweep with LaMichael James where it looked like he tried to have him throw it back to Kap.

Why the hell would you call that play?!

This is the kind of garbage that I am sick of. It seems like our players aren't the only ones getting rattled. Our own offensive coordinator is in the booth scrambling for ANYTHING to work.

Actually our D forced two turnovers with nothing to show for it while the offense PUT the defense in horrible situations and kept them on the field.
Originally posted by LVJay:
I've seen this guy tear up a box of Twinkies and extra large pie of pizza in under 2 minutes, he's good!

On the game, though, he's not responsible for the turnovers; our D giving up 23 points; and the "13th man" (corrupt officials)...

he is responsible for not taking advantage.
i mean the defense came out got a sack fumble turnover the 1st play of the game and put us in the red zone
the 1st damn play of the game.

as the o.c. you go to the MONEY PLAYS and put that s**t in the end zone.

you don't get the ball then run the ball right up the middle with gore
then a little out route
then concede the field goal
that is not championship football
and that's why we don't have a championship.

you punch it in there. you win the damn game.

5 yards away no ring

1st possession 3 points.

what will it be next year?

1st year we couldn't even get a damn 1st down against the giants in the 4th and overtime

lol
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
still at no point used the full arsenal
STILL at no point
lol
reverted to fake option plays
cute gadget plays
gone are the screens
stacked wr's
and everything else he fooled us into thinking he would continue to do

when the s**t was on the line
he folded.

this is the 2nd time.

Kap just confirmed very WR on that last play was an option.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by buck:
The fumble cannot logically be attributed to Roman. In addition, to the Kaepernick's three turnovers, there was a huge breakdown on special teams. You can not put the special team breakdown on Roman.

If I remember correctly Boldin had two drops. Is Roman responsible for every mistake the team makes?

Mistakes, mistakes made on the field by players, killed us this game.


I agree that the team needs to drastically improve its passing game--that there are conceptual flaws in the passing scheme that need to be corrected.

Harbaugh has two years left on his contract--two years to make the corrections that are needed. I would like to see the corrections made.

If Roman is fired or Roman is kept, I do not care. I want to see a better developed passing game.

This is my wish as well, but I wonder if that will happen with Roman at OC. I keep wondering about the story detailing the way plays are called, using three different people...run, pass and Roman relaying the plays. Then Harbaugh can over rule. Seems a weird way to run an offense. And I want the passing game to be in sync...not hodge podge, willynilly, devel may care...whatever the hell it is now.

Harbaugh and company came into the league three years ago. They have done very well, but they clearly need to make adjustments.

In my estimation, it is their responsibility to make those adjustments.

Will they be able to do it? I have no idea. We will see.

Baalke needs to get us more and better depth at wide receiver. Again, we will see.

The players also need to make adjustments. Kaepernick needs to examine his game and focus some energy eliminating the turnovers. Aldon Smith needs to stay on course. In the last two, games there have been problems with hand off between Gore and Kaepernick. That miscommunication needs to be fixed. Again, we will see.

Fangio did make good adjustments in his work--so it can be done.

We are a dynasty if we could either fix Kap or find a QB that can get rid of the ball, make tight throws, and think under pressure.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Kap just confirmed very WR on that last play was an option.

what does that have to do with running a toss sweep pass with james? and everything else i spoke on.
the game didn't come down to 1 play.
there were so many opportunities

how do you run the same run play on 1st down every possession with the same player?

things like that.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,255
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
still at no point used the full arsenal
STILL at no point
lol
reverted to fake option plays
cute gadget plays
gone are the screens
stacked wr's
and everything else he fooled us into thinking he would continue to do

when the s**t was on the line
he folded.

this is the 2nd time.

Kap just confirmed very WR on that last play was an option.

But then you left out the part in which he said he was going to Crabtree no matter what.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I've seen this guy tear up a box of Twinkies and extra large pie of pizza in under 2 minutes, he's good!

On the game, though, he's not responsible for the turnovers; our D giving up 23 points; and the "13th man" (corrupt officials)...

he is responsible for not taking advantage.
i mean the defense came out got a sack fumble turnover the 1st play of the game and put us in the red zone
the 1st damn play of the game.

as the o.c. you go to the MONEY PLAYS and put that s**t in the end zone.

you don't get the ball then run the ball right up the middle with gore
then a little out route
then concede the field goal
that is not championship football
and that's why we don't have a championship.

you punch it in there. you win the damn game.

5 yards away no ring

1st possession 3 points.

what will it be next year?

1st year we couldn't even get a damn 1st down against the giants in the 4th and overtime

lol


It's good to see someone else not scared to see the HUGE flaw in the coaching. I also think needs a QB camp.
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Jan 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM ]
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,117
Roman needs to go.
He's good with run schemes, but bad with passing schemes/philosophy/play-calling.
Kap isn't perfect, but he pretty much carried us despite the play calling. He gave us a touchdown on one big scramble, and an incredible throw to Boldin. That's 14 points out of the 17 we scored. Kap also gave us a chance in the final drive, probably because Roman was pretty much out of the picture. The same thing has been happening all season where Kap has made plays where he wasn't supposed to. The only touchdown the Niners scored in the first two games against Seattle was a two-minute drill by Kap. Thus I don't know if Roman's play-calling led to any touchdowns in all three games vs. Seattle. That's pretty bad....
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Kap just confirmed very WR on that last play was an option.

what does that have to do with running a toss sweep pass with james? and everything else i spoke on.
the game didn't come down to 1 play.
there were so many opportunities

how do you run the same run play on 1st down every possession with the same player?

things like that.

Actually that last play killed us.

Gore wasn't running good, LMJ isn't an option, Dixon is slow, and Hunter hasn't been great. Facing a top D running isn't going to be easy...it wasn't. Kap made 3 errors, those errors cost us the game. The last drive was working until Kap decided to only throw to crabs...that's ego, not coaching.
Originally posted by Jd925:
Roman needs to go.
He's good with run schemes, but bad with passing schemes/philosophy/play-calling.
Kap isn't perfect, but he pretty much carried us despite the play calling. He gave us a touchdown on one big scramble, and an incredible throw to Boldin. That's 14 points out of the 17 we scored. Kap also gave us a chance in the final drive, probably because Roman was pretty much out of the picture. The same thing has been happening all season where Kap has made plays where he wasn't supposed to. The only touchdown the Niners scored in the first two games against Seattle was a two-minute drill by Kap. Thus I don't know if Roman's play-calling led to any touchdowns in all three games vs. Seattle. That's pretty bad....

Roman is hiding the incompetence of Kap. Roman is not off of the hook, but scheming for a QB that cannot make most throws complicates the game a bit.