LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
patton in the flats. their eyes are trained on kap the entire time. they have no man responsibility so they're free.
they see that pass come out quick they jump it and go in for the tackle. especially bad considering even if boldin blocks vd isn't he's running his route and 1 free defender to run up to get patton.

now if he waits and throws it after the play develops as a check down, same thing.. except boldin is now in the end zone and there are 2 defenders and 1 blocker.

i would rather it be an official wr screen i think that would work in that situation.

That still would be a better ball protection conscious decision. I think you are giving their defense way too much credit. There is no way they reach him before a 4 yard + gain. And once again live to see another day.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Stubborn HC, stubborn QB. Let's hope this loss teaches humility and respect for opposing team's talent. You know something is wrong with what's being taught in the classroom when your QB says "I was going to ____ no matter what."

that's 2 things.

either it was called to go to him

or he just has his guy he's going to go to.

i don't like the play call overall even if the result was a td. it was predictable formation we ran it every passing play of consequence and have done so in the playoffs.

a screen there mixes it up and kills it with 2 timeouts. we could have run a screen with hunter or james too in that situation right up the middle of the field with all the db's deep and spread out they could get to the 9 or 7 yard line easy
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Well that's where we disagree and so would many other QB's. Ask Brady would he have targeted Sherman in that situation. He didn't target Revis unless it was Moss. Lol but that's another story. I do agree that a perfect pass would have been a TD.

that's why i say he has to make that pass.
if that's the play
that's the read
you gotta execute the pass. that's what makes players great.
That still would be a better ball protection conscious decision. I think you are giving their defense way too much credit. There is no way they reach him before a 4 yard + gain. And once again live to see another day.

yea 4 yards or so im not saying he will be stopped for no gain i am saying it isn't as open as it seems. that's why i would prefer a planned screen. so they have blockers they have the field to work with and they have purpose while the defense is on their heels.

given that play where the db's backed up on the snap if the wr's run out to meet them at their depth and the pass is underneath
that's a HUGE gain and possible touchdown
yea 4 yards or so im not saying he will be stopped for no gain i am saying it isn't as open as it seems. that's why i would prefer a planned screen. so they have blockers they have the field to work with and they have purpose while the defense is on their heels.

given that play where the db's backed up on the snap if the wr's run out to meet them at their depth and the pass is underneath
that's a HUGE gain and possible touchdown

Well a WR screen may also lead the receiver to not be able to get out of bounds after a positive gain because the positive gain maybe away from the sideline.
Well a WR screen may also lead the receiver to not be able to get out of bounds after a positive gain because the positive gain maybe away from the sideline.

the playbook is completely open we have 2 timeouts left.
we can literally do anything to any side of the field for any gain and fight for maximum yards because as soon as its done its a timeout and we still have 1 more left.

anything but a delayed draw would have been a great choice
  • Veteran
Is he gone?
we can literally do anything to any side of the field for any gain and fight for maximum yards because as soon as its done its a timeout and we still have 1 more left.

What i can agree with is that Roman is way too conservative. It seems as though we get a small lead and instantly go into the fetal position.
What i can agree with is that Roman is way too conservative. It seems as though we get a small lead and instantly go into the fetal position.

we do. he admits to saving plays.
its the little things. the playoffs is where you let it all hang out.
if you go out you go out saying well we did everything we could have possibly done and it didn't work.

i bet he has plays he didn't call that he's saving for next year or his new job.. lol

the offense needs to be fixed
its not the players
its been the same problems with 2 different qb's

the only constant are the coaches. this includes jim too

stop being scared
we have to go out there and TAKE IT instead of reach and hope we don't fall

Many have missed this point...it would also have helped kill any time left for Seattle should the niners have scored. Could have left a few seconds on the clock. I wanted to see either an overthrow into the end zone to loosen the Seahawks up or a short pass just short of the goal line to let VD, Boldin or Patton make a play. That corner route just hasn't been there this year...or last. Not sure if it works in practice so they keep thinking OK...we can do this? Or are they just stubborn and dumb about it? Watching Manning and Brady or Brees take their time and scan the end zone waiting for a guy to come open is where I want Kaepernick to be next year. Patient, with a clock in his head to throw the ball away rather than make a mistake. When you have first down inside the fifteen...just have to be able to make that work. You just can't tell me Boldin, Crabtree, VD and Patton aren't good enough.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:50 PM ]

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Many have missed this point...it would also have helped kill any time left for Seattle should the niners have scored. Could have left a few seconds on the clock. I wanted to see either an overthrow into the end zone to loosen the Seahawks up or a short pass just short of the goal line to let VD, Boldin or Patton make a play. That corner route just hasn't been there this year...or last. Not sure if it works in practice so they keep thinking OK...we can do this? Or are they just stubborn and dumb about it? Watching Manning and Brady or Brees take their time and scan the end zone waiting for a guy to come open is where I want Kaepernick to be next year. Patient, with a clock in his head to throw the ball away rather than make a mistake. When you have first down inside the fifteen...just have to be able to make that work. You just can't tell me Boldin, Crabtree, VD and Patton aren't good enough.

they are
the call isn't
with the call that was the correct read he didn't make the throw. its really that simple.

i don't like the call because at the end of the year if we're passing its that same formation every time when it matters.

i would have loved to see a screen to someone right up the middle of the field if you look at it they are conceding the middle
remember it's only 19 yards.. one screen on 1st down gets you probably inside the 10 or probably even to the 7 or so. call the timeout and then you call your money plays

that's what's really missing.

in 11' when we got a turnover we would pretty much score a td the very next play.
we had money plays be it runs or types of passes

we don't have them anymore.

think about it... in 11' after aldon strip sack fumble you could book it. the next play was going to be a touchdown.

we need to get back to that.
Gore deserved one crack at the endzone against BAL at the end, did not get it
Gore deserved one crack at the endzone against SEA at the end, did not get it
Niners season ends on a throw to covered Crabtree deep in the end zone.
Niners season ends on a throw to covered Crabtree deep in the end zone.

Oh plus about a hundred other WTF???? moments over the last 3 seasons and a statistically poor offense every season.

Some questions just answer themselves don't they
they are
the call isn't
with the call that was the correct read he didn't make the throw. its really that simple.

i don't like the call because at the end of the year if we're passing its that same formation every time when it matters.

i would have loved to see a screen to someone right up the middle of the field if you look at it they are conceding the middle
remember it's only 19 yards.. one screen on 1st down gets you probably inside the 10 or probably even to the 7 or so. call the timeout and then you call your money plays

that's what's really missing.

in 11' when we got a turnover we would pretty much score a td the very next play.
we had money plays be it runs or types of passes

we don't have them anymore.

think about it... in 11' after aldon strip sack fumble you could book it. the next play was going to be a touchdown.

we need to get back to that.

The niners were completing passes in the middle almost at will in the second half...but kept going away from it. Just don't like that call for a desperation throw that hasn't worked well in the past...relies on Kaepernick to loft a throw, when he hasn't been able to do so, just the wrong call and wrong thinking process. The only place that ball should have been thrown is over Crabtree's head on the sideline...away from Sherman.

Smith was quite good in the RZ in 2011 and that was a strength of the team's passing game. If I can recall...they had great difficulty getting down the field but once they did it was bankable.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The niners were completing passes in the middle almost at will in the second half...but kept going away from it. Just don't like that call for a desperation throw that hasn't worked well in the past...relies on Kaepernick to loft a throw, when he hasn't been able to do so, just the wrong call and wrong thinking process. The only place that ball should have been thrown is over Crabtree's head on the sideline...away from Sherman.

Smith was quite good in the RZ in 2011 and that was a strength of the team's passing game. If I can recall...they had great difficulty getting down the field but once they did it was bankable.

actually it was reverse. we had no problem getting down the field we couldn't punch it in..enter akers setting the field goal record that year.

im just talking about change of possession turnover. we would score immediately off of that.

middle was open nobody is running in the middle
and kap buys time.

really just a microcosm of the problem with roman.

why would you call that play? it is the extended play that ended our season last year...

and he calls it AGAIN.

so many say kap didn't learn his lesson
neither did roman.
actually it was reverse. we had no problem getting down the field we couldn't punch it in..enter akers setting the field goal record that year.

im just talking about change of possession turnover. we would score immediately off of that.

middle was open nobody is running in the middle
and kap buys time.

really just a microcosm of the problem with roman.

why would you call that play? it is the extended play that ended our season last year...

and he calls it AGAIN.

so many say kap didn't learn his lesson
neither did roman.

So let me ask you this........Just as Kap threw the same ill advised fade to Crabtree to lose the bowl as he did to lose yesterday, he threw the same ill advised pass (the route that Chancellor picked and both GB and Car dropped) in all three playoff games this year. At what point do you say that Roman cannot execute the plays and maybe Kap just cannot think well in pressure situations?
Share 49ersWebzone