There are 188 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
That's an issue with Roman and play calling I agree. But ask yourself if the Seahawks would call such defenses if Kaepernick had given them a reason to think that he can dissect their defense? It was safer to go with Gore than to put the game in the hands of our piece of QB, regardless to Seattle daring us to do so.

This the same offense that Stanford ran successfully, but it doesn't work in the NFL. Just too simplistic and the defenses are so much better in the NFL.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This the same offense that Stanford ran successfully, but it doesn't work in the NFL. Just too simplistic and the defenses are so much better in the NFL.

I watch quite a bit of Stanford football, and even they appear to bog themselves down with simplistic/stubborn playcalling at times.
I tried to defend Roman most of the year, but couldn't do it anymore. He's a horrible play-caller and simply needs to go.
slow to get the play in.......players doing multiple pre snap shifts with the play clock down to 2 or 3 seconds...........delay of game or waste a timeout....and THIS is year 3 of this "average at best" offense!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
That's an issue with Roman and play calling I agree. But ask yourself if the Seahawks would call such defenses if Kaepernick had given them a reason to think that he can dissect their defense? It was safer to go with Gore than to put the game in the hands of our piece of QB, regardless to Seattle daring us to do so.

Thank you. The difference is that Luck was competent enough to make basic sound decisions. My point is that they (Roman, Harbaugh) philosophy is to establish balance and not become one dimensional. If we go over the film, we can all clearly see that the problem is not that players are not getting open, the problem is that the quarterback cannot make the throws. So how can the issue be about simplistic play calling at this point?
Roman may not have been the issue after all.
Thank you. The difference is that Luck was competent enough to make basic sound decisions. My point is that they (Roman, Harbaugh) philosophy is to establish balance and not become one dimensional. If we go over the film, we can all clearly see that the problem is not that players are not getting open, the problem is that the quarterback cannot make the throws. So how can the issue be about simplistic play calling at this point?

show me where receivers are wide open
show me don't just say stuff. show me.. and you won't be able to.

has roman progressed as a coordinator?

or are the same problems through 2 qb's still persisting.

answer that one
too many times he tried to run on first down and the hawks were ready for it. Wasn't impressed with his gameplan.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Try to understand that a QB with inabilities forces a coordinator to have an inability to scheme fully. So you may see him call lame duck plays, but try to take the personnel into consideration.

Kap's not one of the greatest (has potential to be) and isn't very good (YET) at reading good defenses / schemes.

Roman is not a great offensive coordinator (PERIOD)!!

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I honestly don't have any gripes with the way Roman called the game. The players lost this one.

Agreed....

Well please explain to me what was he supposed to do with a QB with such handicaps?

Look at the first down plays from the previous page and ask yourself...why does this team insist on calling Gore into a stacked D over and over again?

That's not the only issue. If you can't/won't come up with other reasons as to why he isn't all that great then, you definitely are a Roman apologist and therefore, this (your opinion/my opinion) conversation will go nowhere.

Maybe you haven't seen my other posts (ranting on Kaps mishaps/inabilities), but I will call it how it's seems / looks (just my opinion) on any player or coach of my favorite team. I don't think Kap is worth the big contract coming to him (not at the moment), but maybe he'll prove some of us wrong. He isn't great (yet)....

Both are at fault for different reasons...

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I watch quite a bit of Stanford football, and even they appear to bog themselves down with simplistic/stubborn playcalling at times.

It really could be as simple as the defenses are so much better in the NFL. Luck is certainly a good decision maker, where he is far ahead of Kaepernick, but Kaepernick was completing short passes in the second half at will...he had no difficulty until he got greedy and went for the home-run to Crabtree...the interception. Stanford could power their way over teams...as they did in the Orange Bowl with Luck. However, they ran into trouble when the team came up against teams with great front sevens.

I'm still not able to assess who/where the blame should go. Roman's offense is not my kind of tea, so it is easy for me to blame him. But Kaepernick has not been the cool, collected QB I had hoped he would be. There were a couple of shots of his face at the line of scrimmage that looked less than confident. And he played like it.

Taking Kaepernick's miscues one at a time:

1) First fumble--trying to do too much, but at least trying to keep his eyes downfield. Did not hear the player coming due to noise. If he kept the ball more secure it could have been avoided but he tends to hold it out from his body when he runs. Didn't think it was too bad...and Goodwin bailed him out.
2) Second fumble--same as above, but when you've been burned once in a game shouldn't that remind you of ball security? Trying to be too perfect and should have run. I give him a pass
3) First interception--terrible, terrible decision! Just horrible! But...he tends to throw a flat, fast ball when he is keyed up and with a bit of loft it would have been a first down...as it was later.
4) Second interception--some are suggesting Kaepernick and Crabtree had their egos in the way, but according to Harbaugh it was the call from him. I'm sick of seeing Kaepernick ignore everyone except Crabtree when the game's on the line. Too harsh? Probably, but he had VD, Boldin, Patton...and they were all more open than Crabtree. If it was a designed play it certainly didn't fool Seattle...at all! So...Harbaugh has a decision on his hands...if he made that call he needs to rethink the one receiver concept. If Kaepernick locked on then Harbaugh has to wonder..."Can I teach this guy how to play NFL caliber QB?"
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM ]
I hope that Roman gets the Browns job.

BUT the buck stops w/JH.

Those who cannot remember their past are condemned to repeat it.

We need WR who are fast and can get separation. We need a BIG Red Zone target

AND we need play calling tnhat will use that type of talent.
So what's the consenus now? I asked a little while back if fans thought we could win with this type of offensive philosophy/play calling.
Originally posted by NCommand:
So what's the consenus now? I asked a little while back if fans thought we could win with this type of offensive philosophy/play calling.

Everything but the big ones!

Edit...sorry...just still a bit irritated by this unnecessary loss!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]
SF First Down Plays By Quarter

Q1

Gore 2 yards off left tackle

Gore 1 yard off left tackle

Kaepernick 17 yards right end

Gore -1 yard up middle

Q2

Kaepenick incomplete pass

Gore no gain off right guard

Kaepernick 58 yards off right tackle

Gore 2 yards off right guard

Kaepernick incomplete pass

Kaepernick kneel down

Q3

Gore -1 yard off left tackle

Gore 9 yards right end

Kaepernick 22 yards pass Crabtree

Kaepernick 22 yards left end

Kaepernick -8 sack-fumble

Gore no gain left tackle

Q4

Hunter 3 yards left end

Hunter 11 yards right tackle

Kaepernick intercepted

James no gain right end

Kaepernick 4 yards left tackle

Kaepernick 11 yards pass VD middle

Kaepernick intercepted

The stubborn insistence to run on first down is sickening...and ineffective. Gore has 8 first down runs for 12 yards. The only runs that worked were off end or around end.

Apparently we think we're the SF Giants. Just take the first pitch every time. Now you've only got two more strikes.
Share 49ersWebzone