There are 408 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by jreff22:
So you guys want him gone but don't want him to interview? If he waits until the season is over the jobs could be filled.

if he leads a super bowl champion offense they will wait.

You aren't going to have 5 teams waiting around for Roman. Some pro teams will want a staff ready for senior bowl scouting.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Penn St offers job to Vanderbilt coach Franklin

Roman was a candidate for the Vanderbilt HC job before too. So he might get it this time now.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
spizzy---Texas Horns already have Strong from Louisville( I think). I guess Penn St it is, Bud. I still think Chicago or Minn. will get him as he has beaten GB 3x in a row...and they like that.

GM as you well know one of my 3 biggest gripes with HaRo has been non-utilization of players until injury (Tramaine, who should have started long before, and replaced an injured DB). The WR and TE and RB list of receivers is tops of my list. You mentioned most who SHOULD have gotten chances to show if they can catch or not. The really bad thing about this is that when we go to draft and pick up another WR, how do they know the new guy is better than 5 other guys we have sitting on the bench, literally untested. NOW THAT is just plain foolish and not looking ahead. Stupid. STOOPID.

The RZ play calls, nobody here could or would defend going back to SB. And then the AR vs PS vs WCO....what we really need is to tailor our O to our players. Spread /WCO seems like a really good way to go for me. That would suit kap well, I believe, and get the other 20% out of him that poor playcalling has prevented. He could REALLY be good...just not in our current O, whatever the hell it is. But not having multiple targets with this talent....3 all pros to throw to is just plain nutty.

the clock issues still remain, and again, we are winning anyway. Running into a box 8-10 is a proven loser, yet we still do it and still....have won the last 7 games.

I guess my question would be, just exactly how good could this team be with improvement in the above. Right now I would say unimaginable. And yet, we keep on winning. Amazing...except for one thing. Even if we don't win, this is the most talented team overall, of any I have seen of the 49ers and that goes all the way back 37 yrs to 1977. Our talent at virtually all slots save one or two is just awesome. Be nice if the coaching caught up. Imagine that...

Yeah, there are several posts to this effect and it is a legitimate point. Other teams do a much better job getting production from no names and young players than us. McDaniels at New England for example has a done a lot with smoke and mirrors. McDonald, Patton, LMJ, Hunter, maybe Baldwin fall into the underutilized department.

Are they stinkers? You would think so given the lack of play calling for them. I thnk this is due to a quirk of our internal staff culture, rather than career killing deficiencies on the players part. It seems like unless they are flat out "better" than Boldin, Crabs, Davis, Gore, etc, they won't see the ball very much at game time.
On the front page, says Penn State no longer interested in Roman.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I bet Roman is tired of James Franklin. Franklin beat him out for the Vanderbilt job and now Penn State has passed over Roman for Franklin
Originally posted by lamontb:

I bet Roman is tired of James Franklin. Franklin beat him out for the Vanderbilt job and now Penn State has passed over Roman for Franklin

Interesting!

Like I said in the other thread, maybe he just sucks at interviewing? His resume is fat....no pun intended, but maybe he just doesn't have the right demeanor for it, who knows. How else do you get beat out by this guy on multiple occasions?

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:20 AM ]
Roman doesn't seemed to have the HC charisma. Maybe smart as hell but talks like he's Andy Rooney.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Like I said in the other thread, maybe he just sucks at interviewing? His resume is fat....no pun intended, but maybe he just doesn't have the right demeanor for it, who knows. How else do you get beat out by this guy on multiple occasions?

Boy I don't know...from an outside perspective, you have an OC that helped CK and this offense make it to the Superbowl, into the playoffs again, great college-like offensive system, etc. It certainly got him in the door for college interviews naturally but I wonder why he isn't closing the door. Maybe you are right. I know, like with Harbaugh, and esp. at the pro level, you must have a plan and that plan includes bringing the system and coaches with you. Perhaps, outside himself, he isn't going to get to take many Niner staff with him.
Redskins hire Jay Gruden
Maybe he interviews terribly because he's like Riker on Star Trek Next Generation - he secretly doesn't want to leave the Enterprise.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Aside from the fact that he already has Head Coach experience
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Aside from the fact that he already has Head Coach experience

17 years of NFL coaching experience>>>
No interview in Washington
Vikings want to talk to Tomsula
No mention about Detroit
Titans seem to be high on Chud

Trend here?
We'll be stuck with roman for another year, dude must be a horrible interviewer. To me he seems too soft to be a hc, lacks charisma.