There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by NCommand:
This is what I'm predicting...the more "explosive" we are, the better chance he'll get a HC job. Period.

Originally posted by Buchy:
I can see Harbaugh getting his extension and a bit more power and choosing his own Offensive Co-ordinator, but I think he could surprise us with picking a more pass/QB friendly co-ordinator.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. How far can the acorn fall from the tree? I think Harbaugh is more comfortable with a grind it out, physical, run based offense.

But on the other hand, I think we stand a great chance to resign Boldin. Can't imagine he'd want to end his career with a less than stellar team for a few extra dollars. So assume he resigns, we have Crabtree for one more year, Vernon, an emerging Quinton Patton and I'm assuming we draft another receiver high in the draft. All of a sudden we have an embarrassment of riches in the pass receiving department.

You couple this with a changing in the guard for our RBs (phasing Frankie out) and passing the baton to Lattimore, you now flip flop strengths.

If Roman leaves, is Harbaugh willing to go out of his comfort zone and hire a more pass happy OC? I for one hope so! I ready to start blowing teams out because these close games are giving me gray hair. LOL. My wife always wonders why I'm soooo tired after a 49er football game.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the replacement does not have to be a "pass happy: coordinator,, how about someone who actually plays to the strengths of the team? someone who does not run away from things when they work, someone who does not draw up a play for three yards on third and 8, someone who is not afraid to change when something is not working , like running against 9 in the box, someone who does not go soft or lets up when up by three scores in the first half, someone who actually has a clue what to do inside of the ten to get a touchdown instead of settling for field goals
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

#49ers asst Greg Roman already has interviewed for the #PennState vacancy this week, per source. Was an offsite meeting.
Originally posted by pete98146:
This is what I'm predicting...the more "explosive" we are, the better chance he'll get a HC job. Period.

Originally posted by Buchy:
I can see Harbaugh getting his extension and a bit more power and choosing his own Offensive Co-ordinator, but I think he could surprise us with picking a more pass/QB friendly co-ordinator.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. How far can the acorn fall from the tree? I think Harbaugh is more comfortable with a grind it out, physical, run based offense.

But on the other hand, I think we stand a great chance to resign Boldin. Can't imagine he'd want to end his career with a less than stellar team for a few extra dollars. So assume he resigns, we have Crabtree for one more year, Vernon, an emerging Quinton Patton and I'm assuming we draft another receiver high in the draft. All of a sudden we have an embarrassment of riches in the pass receiving department.

You couple this with a changing in the guard for our RBs (phasing Frankie out) and passing the baton to Lattimore, you now flip flop strengths.

If Roman leaves, is Harbaugh willing to go out of his comfort zone and hire a more pass happy OC? I for one hope so! I ready to start blowing teams out because these close games are giving me gray hair. LOL. My wife always wonders why I'm soooo tired after a 49er football game.

Great point! Especially about the "strength" of our team possibly changing...more experienced QB, tons of proven weapons, etc.

Seriously, these unnecessary nail-bitters are killing me as well.
Originally posted by cciowa:
the replacement does not have to be a "pass happy: coordinator,, how about someone who actually plays to the strengths of the team? someone who does not run away from things when they work, someone who does not draw up a play for three yards on third and 8, someone who is not afraid to change when something is not working , like running against 9 in the box, someone who does not go soft or lets up when up by three scores in the first half, someone who actually has a clue what to do inside of the ten to get a touchdown instead of settling for field goals

I agree. I wrote "more pass happy". I'm just hoping for more balance and points on the board.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I agree. I wrote "more pass happy". I'm just hoping for more balance and points on the board.

i know, i was not making fun of you bud. we all what you want and it is sad to think the other teams best weapon is our own OC

my thoughts exactly
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Great point! Especially about the "strength" of our team possibly changing...more experienced QB, tons of proven weapons, etc.

Seriously, these unnecessary nail-bitters are killing me as well.

the key word is "unnecessary" in my opinion. we survive by the skin of our teeth vs the falcons and packers, just to name a couple examples.. and some people try to provide cover for roman and the coaches by saying garbage like " the falcons and packers defense is better than many think", that is just a putrid built in excuse designed only to provide cover for the coaches in my opinion. they should be held accountable
This a*****e better remain focused. Interviewing while we are going to a divisional playoff game against a top defense which powned him last game....

SMH

This. I think we have the personnel to do a 50-50 balance, and lean more heavily on one aspect depending on the opponent. For example, if we are facing the Seahawks, lean more on the run. If we're facing the Cardinals, lean more on passing.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This. I think we have the personnel to do a 50-50 balance, and lean more heavily on one aspect depending on the opponent. For example, if we are facing the Seahawks, lean more on the run. If we're facing the Cardinals, lean more on passing.

This...we can still control the TOP but would need to focus less on the intermediate passes and more on WCO-like principles in the passing game (i.e. exploiting the middle of the field as opposed to the sidelines). Balance with short, intermediate and deep bomb passes. Better use of ALL personnel. Early-game rhythms for CK and receivers. Attacking of defensive weakness until proven otherwise. I'd like a nice mix of WCO with much spread personally...with the Q and big personnel as a balance.
As a Penn stater, PLEASE GOD NOOOO
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This a*****e better remain focused. Interviewing while we are going to a divisional playoff game against a top defense which powned him last game....

SMH

This times 1,000,000. I could see the Vikings interview the day after the Packers game, but now another one this week? I know it was off-site but this fat f**k barely gets by without the distractions. This offense better come out firing on all cylinders come Sunday kickoff.
I think we would be better off running the no huddle and have Kap call the plays.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
As a Penn stater, PLEASE GOD NOOOO

Penn State would be lucky to have Roman as there head coach.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home