There are 225 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Also, the long (4th qtr) drives to seal the deal against two very good defenses (Cards / Panthers) can be a trademark of his if he continues against CAWK suckers, in the SB and so on...
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Great game-plan, great play-calling and great execution for most of the game. I'd be shocked if Roman doesn't get the Vikings gig.

i hope they're saying if you win the super bowl you get the job.
For all the questions about Roman/Harbaugh we are now in the championship game for the third year in a row. Something must be working.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
For all the questions about Roman/Harbaugh we are now in the championship game for the third year in a row. Something must be working.

that's not the goal though.

every bit of criticism was valid.

he's changed, not us. he's made the adjustments that we were calling for, it hasn't worked being stubborn and doing the same things he was doing.

once he opened his eyes up and done some of the elementary things we've suggested in here over and over all year the offense has taken off.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

he's changed, not us. he's made the adjustments that we were calling for, it hasn't worked being stubborn and doing the same things he was doing.

once he opened his eyes up and done some of the elementary things we've suggested in here over and over all year the offense has taken off.

Right.

We only had the one cute play with Boldin trying to throw a pass. Also, we didn't throw away timeouts until that 4th quarter drive where we were trying to pick up some huge 3rd and shorts.

Also, the playcalling looks a lot better when the O-line looks good. The offense didn't look so darn confused. We have definitely changed for the better at the right time.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'll give credit where credit is due, the playcalling from the late 2nd quarter on was terrific, it especially picked up in the 2nd half, dude got it done. Won't hear me saying a single bad thing about the playcalling today against a very good defense.

Well said Phoenix. Must be honest here and give Roman his due.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Right.

We only had the one cute play with Boldin trying to throw a pass. Also, we didn't throw away timeouts until that 4th quarter drive where we were trying to pick up some huge 3rd and shorts.

Also, the playcalling looks a lot better when the O-line looks good. The offense didn't look so darn confused. We have definitely changed for the better at the right time.

he adjusted. he ran the ball at the rush.
he called quick throws and double moves so that the panthers rush wouldn't get there. he also made it easier on the oline. we didn't run cute edge plays we ran power traps and whams
and that's how we won the damn game. being the 49ers
kap made the throws
our wr's made the catches
and the train keeps rolling on.
Anyone notice the one thing absent, finally , from our Offense? Motions, yes, we had some of those. But if we had any shifts, they were few, and I can't remember any. K I S S. KISS. Keep it simple stupid. And roman did just that.

As for SEA, NO SHIFTS THERE EITHER, as the OL can't hear the count, can't hear the shift calls, nor can anyone else. We did just fine, thank you and NO SHIFTING. Kap burned the T.O.s near the end, making sure call was correct. All year we have been , or kap has been calling shifts. There is just too much going on in playoff games to do that and at C-LINK, nobody will hear the call anyway...also, shifts just detract from what the OL the RB, TEs and WRs have to do. Give them one job and KISS.

First qtr and 3/4 of 2nd qtr, kap looked edgy, off on his passes, uncertain. The late score in 2nd qtr broke their backs and was a terrific way to go into the half. After that kap came out a new man, seemed confident, threw well, and looked for the right target, ie the guy who was open. A big roman mistake in 1st qtr, was throwing to Crabs. Everyone else knew he would be doubled, but roman didn't figure that out until late in 2nd qtr. Not too sure crabs saw the ball after that. Having Anquan and Vernon singled, is a nightmare. Hope SEA has the same nightmare.

Hats off to roman for calling a great second half.

Last item is that Panthers players took themselves out of the game with their stupid macho schidt. Their inexperience in the playoffs and inattention to not creating stupid fouls, just killed them. Thankfully, our guys didn't do that except maybe once, and that was the nutty call on Skuta...inadvertent, tho, not intentional.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM ]
I wish he had more games like he did in the second half. He has mad potential but he is very inconsistent.
HOW CAN YOU GUYS HOPE WE GET A NEW OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR NEXT YEAR? WE HAVE MADE IT TO 3 CONSECUTIVE NFC CHAMPIONSHIPS.

GET RID OF ROMAN, AND REPLACE HIM WITH WHO??? SOME OF US 9ER FANS NEED TO ACTUALLY REALIZE THAT IT IS HARD TO FIND A GOOD OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, AND IT WOULD BE A MISTAKE TO GET RID OF ROMAN. IF THEY ARE GETTING THE HEAD COACHING OPPORTUNITIES, THEY ARE DEFINITELY GOOD COORDINATORS.

Originally posted by NickSh49:
Greg Roman KILLED it today. I know he has bad games, but he KILLED it today. Amazing job.

As a charter member of the "Not All That Thrilled With Greg Roman Club", with the exception of just a few plays here and there, I think he did call a fantastic game today, especially late-1st half and into the 2nd once Kaepernick started to settle down. Off the top of my head, can't recall result of drive where they tried throwing deep to Davis down the seam, but think it was a punt? Anyway, whether punt or FG, that would've been even more points if Davis doesn't do what I think he does a bit too often, which is give up on the ball...more effort and he probably makes that catch.

But back to Roman, I was thrilled to FINALLY see a QB sneak on 3rd & short 1, actually two of them I believe...the second one was where for whatever reason Panthers only had 4 DL, huge gap between C and LG and that's right where CK went...might have been CK's option on where to go, but I'm sure Roman called the sneak. Saints moved the ball on SEA, and it wasn't just all in garbage time...they are vulnerable, so hopefully Roman can find and exploit those weak spots.
Was at the game and was SCREAMING everytime we went with the crap jumbo package or the 3 TE look. It looked like crap live and was easily snuffed out. When we had WR's on the field an amazing thing happened... We moved the ball..
  • thl408
Nice to see some Roman critics give him some props. Hope he keeps it up. CAR is a good defense and to put up 23 in CAR is the most any offense has done this season, including Brady.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

Yes. Greg Roman read the forums on 49erswebzone.com and then modified his game plan based off fan criticism.

Delusional.
  • buck
  • Veteran
every bit of criticism was NOT valid.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone