There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

I believe he is... there is alot riding on Kaep to make this offense to work and due to many miss thrown plays or miss reads by Kaep didnt help Romans credits. But if you are able to pay attention to the plays, you'll see that Romans play calling or style does work just needs better executions from Kaep. Like B. Walsh demanded... Perfection from everyone especially from his QB.
Redskins wanna interview him. As much as some Niner fans despise Roman, even I don't wish that disaster upon him. Word out of D.C. is RG3 is a real diva. Maybe that's not news, but stuff has come out in the media about his entitlement issues with the owner. Basically it says that he's gone over the heads of the coaching staff to get certain football-related things he wanted like a spoiled kid. I've always thought during the media interviews of his I've seen that something was a little off, as though he's being disingenuous with a certain arrogance. At least you don't see Kap in his pressers divulging unnecessary info or trying to wax all philosophical on some endless diatribe. Plus if there are specific football things he wants I'm sure he discusses those with the proper coaches in a normal, sensible manner and not directly with the owner.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Well its safe to say we've heard it all in this and many other threads: OL fault, CK's, refs not calling penalties (or Neck Gate), injuries, execution, etc.

Certainly nobody in here would even begin to argue these aren't facts too and that typically, there are muliple issues for why we are not performing at our perceived talent level and depth. After 17 games this year alone though, at what point does one start to question the system and those in charge of the system? What would actually have to happen before one puts the predominant blame/constructive criticism here? B/c at some point, when you see the exact same results it just starts to sound like HaRoManExcuses TBH. It's not like there aren't some very clear patterns here with many excuses now being ruled out (i.e. personnel/talent). That doesn't dismiss how far we've come from the worst of the previous regimes but it also shouldn't excuse our current expectations for being good enough to win #6. B/c as it stands right now, I don't know if anyone can make an argument for us not being the most battle-tested, deepest in talent/depth and most driven franchise in the NFL right now. The "excuses" are running out and it's OK to question the system and the leaders BY NOW when we clearly are not reaching our potential...especially while one of those components (Roman) is interviewing for jobs this week.

But why focus on Roman? This is harbaughs system. Where's the blame wit harbaugh? and that's my point. There's more to this than Roman and getting rid of Roman may not even solve the problem because the problem could very well reside with how harbaugh wants the system run.

100% agree and this is why I refer to the trio as HaRoMan et. al (3 others). I caution people to this and remind them they sometimes (ala Raye), the OC is merely creating a game plan based off the coaches sign-off. And like I said previously, to me, the real issue is the system/philosophy itself. It ALL starts with the philosophy. Period. Roman is as good as gone and like McCarthy (we didn't like him either here at the time), he may be best suited as a HC somewhere and do well. On the flip side, when we're hiring a guy like Mangini and we have 6 people all contributing to the game plan and in-game play calling hasn't exactly been stellar, we can still question what we do have b/c it's been in flat line mode for a while now with the exact same results under two polar opposite QB's. My ideal situation is that Roman leaves for a HC job and Baalke takes over and hires an OC that is best suited for CK and this personnel before the draft/FA and tell Harbaugh to back down...to only focus on coaching and developing players.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
As much as we all like to criticize the guy, I'm not sure if some of you understand that we kind of need an offensive coordinator, people.

Nah...Gore & CK got this!
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Redskins wanna interview him. As much as some Niner fans despise Roman, even I don't wish that disaster upon him. Word out of D.C. is RG3 is a real diva. Maybe that's not news, but stuff has come out in the media about his entitlement issues with the owner. Basically it says that he's gone over the heads of the coaching staff to get certain football-related things he wanted like a spoiled kid. I've always thought during the media interviews of his I've seen that something was a little off, as though he's being disingenuous with a certain arrogance. At least you don't see Kap in his pressers divulging unnecessary info or trying to wax all philosophical on some endless diatribe. Plus if there are specific football things he wants I'm sure he discusses those with the proper coaches in a normal, sensible manner and not directly with the owner.

CK tows the company line, no doubt! But I'm glad he rebelled a little bit recently.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He pisses us off with questionable / lame play-calling at times, but we have been in the playoffs since Harbs and crew got here... he's not as awful as a lot of us think (and I criticize him A LOT). Having said that, I don't mind if he leaves just as long as we have a better replacement when he's gone.

If he leaves, it sure would save the Yorks a lot of money from all the snacks he eats and all...
so we lose the sb by 5 yards and not running it, then the next playoff game on drive 1 we get down to the 5 and dont run it? this f**ker is lucky we won the game
Originally posted by LVJay:
He pisses us off with questionable / lame play-calling at times, but we have been in the playoffs since Harbs and crew got here... he's not as awful as a lot of us think (and I criticize him A LOT). Having said that, I don't mind if he leaves just as long as we have a better replacement when he's gone.

If he leaves, it sure would save the Yorks a lot of money from all the snacks he eats and all...

And that defense is a BIG reason why we're in the playoffs 3 years now. If anything I'm much more impressed with what Fangio and staff has done with the defense. They were ok to good under Nolan and Singletary, but they have been championship/elite caliber over the past two seasons.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM ]
we put it all together this year guys

just have a little faith.

and this is coming from me. im at peace with it. i accept we're going to look good he's going to have a brain fart and then he'll turn it back on.

the main reason i have faith is because kap.

kap is going to say screw not running screw only doing this or that we have to win.
The difference between now and the losses to Panthers and Saints is that kap was still being constrained to the pocket. It is obvious in the AZ game and then 2 days ago, those constraints are off. Actually, I can understand making him less of a target passing from the pocket during the season, and in playoffs, taking off the gloves. At least that is what it looks like.

Also, he is becoming more comfortable in his role and truly looked in GB game like he had his schidt together, aka, not being rattled. That is progress. The advantage of having 3 all pros to throw to, all healthy, does make him look better also. I keep hoping for a spread O and kap has multiple potential targets. I hate having just one dam target. I hate it with the talent on this team. Also it would keep the former decoys with their heads in the game...we had one all pro kind of dawdele on a couple routes. Even if roman stays or goes...I hope we go spread.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The team is still playing.

Are the remaining games relevant to an analysis of the offensive work of Roman and Harbaugh?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The difference between now and the losses to Panthers and Saints is that kap was still being constrained to the pocket. It is obvious in the AZ game and then 2 days ago, those constraints are off. Actually, I can understand making him less of a target passing from the pocket during the season, and in playoffs, taking off the gloves. At least that is what it looks like.

Also, he is becoming more comfortable in his role and truly looked in GB game like he had his schidt together, aka, not being rattled. That is progress. The advantage of having 3 all pros to throw to, all healthy, does make him look better also. I keep hoping for a spread O and kap has multiple potential targets. I hate having just one dam target. I hate it with the talent on this team. Also it would keep the former decoys with their heads in the game...we had one all pro kind of dawdele on a couple routes. Even if roman stays or goes...I hope we go spread.

I agree about the running and taking the gloves off, but I'm not sure about his overall comfort level. He made a number of errors that seems similar...though I give him a pass due to the weather. Can't believe both Kaepernick and Rodgers passed that well in the deep freeze! They must be keeping their hands warmer than the old days when it looked like QBs were shotputting.
Originally posted by buck:

Are the remaining games relevant to an analysis of the offensive work of Roman and Harbaugh?

Good question...we're going into game 18 of the year so I would imagine by now, we're not going to see anything that blows our hair back...we should see about what we've seen all year. What do others think?
I think the ultimate issue with Greg Roman is that this offense is a B- when we all know it can be an A based off of the players we have.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by buck:

Good question...we're going into game 18 of the year so I would imagine by now, we're not going to see anything that blows our hair back...we should see about what we've seen all year. What do others think?

We may see some interesting twists, but what I'm not really seeing are the consistent--money in the bank plays. With Walsh, they were slants and passes to the RBs in the flats, and then TE finding the soft spot in the middle...among others. It was like clockwork and he found ways to get players open almost every week. I'm not seeing that same level of consistency with this offense, but it could be in the run game and I'm just missing it.