LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
We'll be stuck with roman for another year, dude must be a horrible interviewer. To me he seems too soft to be a hc, lacks charisma.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
We'll be stuck with roman for another year, dude must be a horrible interviewer. To me he seems too soft to be a hc, lacks charisma.

he certainly thinks he is smarter than the game. sad to say, when he sets about to prove it, it usually ends up f**king us in the ass
Or, the owners and GMs of other teams see the brain farts he suffers from in his play calling. They aren't stupid. They know the Niners win in spite of this guy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Or, the owners and GMs of other teams see the brain farts he suffers from in his play calling. They aren't stupid. They know the Niners win in spite of this guy.

this man is wise beyond his number of posts and number of filled little red boxes
Originally posted by cciowa:

this man is wise beyond his number of posts and number of filled little red boxes

I'm sorry to break it to you, but you never win this consistently in spite of your OC. For all of the whining about the guy, he does good most of the time. Every playcaller makes mistakes, true Roman made his at some damn inopportune times, but there are way worse guys that have jobs in the league. If someone snags Roman, I think we should kick the tires on Kubiak, he's a very good WCO playcaller.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I'm sorry to break it to you, but you never win this consistently in spite of your OC. For all of the whining about the guy, he does good most of the time. Every playcaller makes mistakes, true Roman made his at some damn inopportune times, but there are way worse guys that have jobs in the league. If someone snags Roman, I think we should kick the tires on Kubiak, he's a very good WCO playcaller.

he never learns because he keeps repeating himself. first and goal from the five vs the packers looked just like another scenario which i will not bring up because it makes my head hurt but we all know what it was. instead of playing to the strength of this team he got cute, we got 3 , not 7, made a putrid defense overflow with confidence thus setting the stage for a game which was harder than it needed to be. maybe some are happy with that "philosophy or game plan" because of what we had before roman but not me
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
spizzy---Texas Horns already have Strong from Louisville( I think). I guess Penn St it is, Bud. I still think Chicago or Minn. will get him as he has beaten GB 3x in a row...and they like that.

GM as you well know one of my 3 biggest gripes with HaRo has been non-utilization of players until injury (Tramaine, who should have started long before, and replaced an injured DB). The WR and TE and RB list of receivers is tops of my list. You mentioned most who SHOULD have gotten chances to show if they can catch or not. The really bad thing about this is that when we go to draft and pick up another WR, how do they know the new guy is better than 5 other guys we have sitting on the bench, literally untested. NOW THAT is just plain foolish and not looking ahead. Stupid. STOOPID.

The RZ play calls, nobody here could or would defend going back to SB. And then the AR vs PS vs WCO....what we really need is to tailor our O to our players. Spread /WCO seems like a really good way to go for me. That would suit kap well, I believe, and get the other 20% out of him that poor playcalling has prevented. He could REALLY be good...just not in our current O, whatever the hell it is. But not having multiple targets with this talent....3 all pros to throw to is just plain nutty.

the clock issues still remain, and again, we are winning anyway. Running into a box 8-10 is a proven loser, yet we still do it and still....have won the last 7 games.

I guess my question would be, just exactly how good could this team be with improvement in the above. Right now I would say unimaginable. And yet, we keep on winning. Amazing...except for one thing. Even if we don't win, this is the most talented team overall, of any I have seen of the 49ers and that goes all the way back 37 yrs to 1977. Our talent at virtually all slots save one or two is just awesome. Be nice if the coaching caught up. Imagine that...

Yeah, there are several posts to this effect and it is a legitimate point. Other teams do a much better job getting production from no names and young players than us. McDaniels at New England for example has a done a lot with smoke and mirrors. McDonald, Patton, LMJ, Hunter, maybe Baldwin fall into the underutilized department.

Are they stinkers? You would think so given the lack of play calling for them. I thnk this is due to a quirk of our internal staff culture, rather than career killing deficiencies on the players part. It seems like unless they are flat out "better" than Boldin, Crabs, Davis, Gore, etc, they won't see the ball very much at game time.

This is when the idea that the best 11 players will play goes wrong. I agree they should get the Lion's share of the opportunities, but it doesn't mean they should never be used. We all knew Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Brent Jones, or John Taylor would be the guys. But every now and again, you'd have Tom Rathman coming in with an 8 catch game. A Mike Sherrard or an Odessa Turner might tear it up another week. When you have so many top tier players at a variety of positions, it should open up things for other players. You can also scheme things to get them involved in ways that tailor to their strengths. One of the reasons I am not so gung ho in drafting a 6'4 + receiver (simply because they are 6'4 +) is because we don't even use the 6'5 receiver we have now.

It would be great to know if Jon Baldwin just doesn't cut it as a redzone target. I never thought he would come in and be a decent starter, but he could've provided nice depth for us this year. The Quinton Patton situation is beyond ridiculous because he is a guy that demonstrated he can make things happen in preseason against legit NFL talent. Minus the 8 or so weeks he was injured, he was a guy they should've had involved. Vance McDonald could've been used in ways that would build his confidence. Use him as a check down, catching easy passes for first downs. I guarantee you although AJ Jenkins has done next to nothing in KC, he's probably a little more confident in his abilities since he's made his 2 or 3 plays this season.

Sometimes personnel dictates we may need to change it up. Against the slower defenses/linebacker groups, we should've fed Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James more and leaned less on Gore. It's really a head scratcher.

As for the interviews, I could be wrong. But has anyone ever heard of a 49ers assistant interviewing for a job and NOT getting the position?
Roman has no killer instinct.

he never learns because he keeps repeating himself. first and goal from the five vs the packers looked just like another scenario which i will not bring up because it makes my head hurt but we all know what it was. instead of playing to the strength of this team he got cute, we got 3 , not 7, made a putrid defense overflow with confidence thus setting the stage for a game which was harder than it needed to be. maybe some are happy with that "philosophy or game plan" because of what we had before roman but not me

1st and goal from the 4 in the Superbowl and we don't run the ball once... and what do you know the very next playoff game our first redzone possession we end up with 1st and goal from the 5.....No runs against a horrible defensive football team

Originally posted by Joecool:
Roman has no killer instinct.

oh and this

17-0 against Arizona and we decide to take the next 2.5 quarters off
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LVJay:
He pisses us off with questionable / lame play-calling at times, but we have been in the playoffs since Harbs and crew got here... he's not as awful as a lot of us think (and I criticize him A LOT). Having said that, I don't mind if he leaves just as long as we have a better replacement when he's gone.

If he leaves, it sure would save the Yorks a lot of money from all the snacks he eats and all...

And that defense is a BIG reason why we're in the playoffs 3 years now. If anything I'm much more impressed with what Fangio and staff has done with the defense. They were ok to good under Nolan and Singletary, but they have been championship/elite caliber over the past two seasons.

I agree (Defense / Fangio), but our offense / Roman really isn't horrible...

I wouldn't say horrible .... like doing 60 in Porche when the speed limit is 75.

Exactly! And the (good) play-calling isn't consistent. Not to mention, but he seems to outsmart himself in key moments...

In retrospect, Dilfer said his criticisms had as much to do with the state of the 49ers' offense on Nov. 11 as it did with Kaepernick. He labeled the 49ers "a circa 1970s passing game" which relies heavily on the run and with play-action designed to get only one or two receivers open.

"They're mad at me for saying that, but they don't have a real complex passing game that has multiple progressions built-in, protection adjustments, a lot of layers to it,"

Dilfer said.Since the Carolina game, Dilfer sees a much more decisive quarterback, citing the return of wide receiver Michael Crabtree as a factor."The best thing he's doing is letting it rip, making big-time throws into contested coverage and getting the ball out of his hand,"

Dilfer said. "And when it does break down and his instinct is to run, he obviously has tremendous ability to do so, as we saw against Green Bay."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_24877842/espns-dilfer-backs-down-kaepernick-criticism
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In retrospect, Dilfer said his criticisms had as much to do with the state of the 49ers' offense on Nov. 11 as it did with Kaepernick. He labeled the 49ers "a circa 1970s passing game" which relies heavily on the run and with play-action designed to get only one or two receivers open.

"They're mad at me for saying that, but they don't have a real complex passing game that has multiple progressions built-in, protection adjustments, a lot of layers to it,"

Dilfer said.Since the Carolina game, Dilfer sees a much more decisive quarterback, citing the return of wide receiver Michael Crabtree as a factor."The best thing he's doing is letting it rip, making big-time throws into contested coverage and getting the ball out of his hand,"

Dilfer said. "And when it does break down and his instinct is to run, he obviously has tremendous ability to do so, as we saw against Green Bay."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_24877842/espns-dilfer-backs-down-kaepernick-criticism

I buy that. I don't think it's as archaic as a 1970's passing game, but it doesn't seem as advanced as modern passing offenses. I think the average fan can tell just by using the eye test. I don't see the consistent rhythm and scanning of the field from our QBs. It can certainly be an explosive passing offense when everything is clicking, but it's hard to be efficient with limited progressions. 1970's passers were not consistently efficient, and neither are we.

Say we hire kubiak and he makes our offense as explosive as it can be, dude will get a whole bunch of teams calling. I can see him getting another chance, I want someone like shanahan if his ego allows it or turner. 2 guys that most likely especially turner who have seen there hc days numbered. I just want someone who can maximize the weapons and potential this team has on offense, way too much talent on offense to make scoring 20 pts difficult. Now I don't want someone who will call 50 passing plays I want balance and someone who can call a game where we run time off the clock and FINISH when we get in the rz. We get a offense that can move the ball steadily and give our d rest and less time on the field and we can win multiple sbs
Here's a news flash. JH said on tape after win on Sun that "if I had to throw the football to just one guy, it would be Crabtree".

My bet: HaRo target Boldin and Vernon all day and crabs is doubled all day. Actually the news is old and not a flash, but when I saw a re-run of the presser, I had missed the "crabtree is my guy" line. Great news for boldin/VD, and I hope, Roman, that you get some to vance, LMJ, Hunter, and Baldwin plus patton if he plays. I doubt it tho. I do look for VD and Anquan to be the targets primarily after the big hug for Crbs on national Tv.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I see from his press conference yesterday roman trotted out another gem. "we are going to let it rip". that ranks right up there with "we are going to explode". he says that stuff and then in the games when he has a chance to go up 7-0 early he gets cute and we settle for 3. roman is the perfect example of "go by what people do and not what they say"
Share 49ersWebzone