LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
As a Penn stater, PLEASE GOD NOOOO
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This a*****e better remain focused. Interviewing while we are going to a divisional playoff game against a top defense which powned him last game....

SMH

This times 1,000,000. I could see the Vikings interview the day after the Packers game, but now another one this week? I know it was off-site but this fat f**k barely gets by without the distractions. This offense better come out firing on all cylinders come Sunday kickoff.
I think we would be better off running the no huddle and have Kap call the plays.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:

Penn State would be lucky to have Roman as there head coach.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This a*****e better remain focused. Interviewing while we are going to a divisional playoff game against a top defense which powned him last game....

SMH

This times 1,000,000. I could see the Vikings interview the day after the Packers game, but now another one this week? I know it was off-site but this fat f**k barely gets by without the distractions. This offense better come out firing on all cylinders come Sunday kickoff.

"In 2012 the Penn State job went to then-New England offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien, who was recently named the Texans' head coach. When news that Roman was in the running for the job broke two years ago, the 49ers were preparing to face either the Saints, Falcons or Giants in the divisional round of the playoffs. Roman had interviewed for the position in November of that season.

The 49ers ended up scoring 36 points and gaining 406 yards of offense in a win over the Saints the following week."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/01/report-roman-to-interview-at-penn-state-which-he-called-lifetime-job-two-years-ago.html#storylink=cpy
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for NeonNiner.
Originally posted by spizzy:

I think Roman would actually be a pretty solid college HC.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Greg Roman on coaching openings: "There's only one job I'm concerned about, and that is this one." Schefter reports he met w/ PSU Mon in Chi
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by cciowa:
the replacement does not have to be a "pass happy: coordinator,, how about someone who actually plays to the strengths of the team? someone who does not run away from things when they work, someone who does not draw up a play for three yards on third and 8, someone who is not afraid to change when something is not working , like running against 9 in the box, someone who does not go soft or lets up when up by three scores in the first half, someone who actually has a clue what to do inside of the ten to get a touchdown instead of settling for field goals

I agree. I wrote "more pass happy". I'm just hoping for more balance and points on the board.

I just want to see an offense that involves more players than just Kap, Gore, Davis, Boldin, Crabtree. This offense is so deep with skilled players - and Lattimore hasn't even been on the field yet. You don't know what you have if players never get a chance to develop/play consistently.

So this! Design plays for Patton other than end arounds, give him some quick hitches, slants or wr screens. Design plays for McDonald, give others a chance. This offense has too many weapons that never or rarely get used
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
So this! Design plays for Patton other than end arounds, give him some quick hitches, slants or wr screens. Design plays for McDonald, give others a chance. This offense has too many weapons that never or rarely get used

Our possibilities are almost endless yet Roman doesn't take full advantage. I still want to see LMJ and Hunter utilized on screen passes but I won't hold my breath. If Roman leaves, the next OC would be licking his chops with all of our weapons.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Greg Roman on coaching openings: "There's only one job I'm concerned about, and that is this one." Schefter reports he met w/ PSU Mon in Chi

Then why interview?

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I think Roman would actually be a pretty solid college HC.

No thanks, I already have to deal with his frustrating playcalling with the 49ers. Please not PSU
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LVJay:
He pisses us off with questionable / lame play-calling at times, but we have been in the playoffs since Harbs and crew got here... he's not as awful as a lot of us think (and I criticize him A LOT). Having said that, I don't mind if he leaves just as long as we have a better replacement when he's gone.

If he leaves, it sure would save the Yorks a lot of money from all the snacks he eats and all...

And that defense is a BIG reason why we're in the playoffs 3 years now. If anything I'm much more impressed with what Fangio and staff has done with the defense. They were ok to good under Nolan and Singletary, but they have been championship/elite caliber over the past two seasons.

I agree (Defense / Fangio), but our offense / Roman really isn't horrible...
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by Jcool:

Then why interview?

lol, you must be joking. A chance to get a promotion, better pay, and freedom to run and offense as he pleases. Why wouldn't he interview?
So you guys want him gone but don't want him to interview? If he waits until the season is over the jobs could be filled.
spizzy---Texas Horns already have Strong from Louisville( I think). I guess Penn St it is, Bud. I still think Chicago or Minn. will get him as he has beaten GB 3x in a row...and they like that.

GM as you well know one of my 3 biggest gripes with HaRo has been non-utilization of players until injury (Tramaine, who should have started long before, and replaced an injured DB). The WR and TE and RB list of receivers is tops of my list. You mentioned most who SHOULD have gotten chances to show if they can catch or not. The really bad thing about this is that when we go to draft and pick up another WR, how do they know the new guy is better than 5 other guys we have sitting on the bench, literally untested. NOW THAT is just plain foolish and not looking ahead. Stupid. STOOPID.

The RZ play calls, nobody here could or would defend going back to SB. And then the AR vs PS vs WCO....what we really need is to tailor our O to our players. Spread /WCO seems like a really good way to go for me. That would suit kap well, I believe, and get the other 20% out of him that poor playcalling has prevented. He could REALLY be good...just not in our current O, whatever the hell it is. But not having multiple targets with this talent....3 all pros to throw to is just plain nutty.

the clock issues still remain, and again, we are winning anyway. Running into a box 8-10 is a proven loser, yet we still do it and still....have won the last 7 games.

I guess my question would be, just exactly how good could this team be with improvement in the above. Right now I would say unimaginable. And yet, we keep on winning. Amazing...except for one thing. Even if we don't win, this is the most talented team overall, of any I have seen of the 49ers and that goes all the way back 37 yrs to 1977. Our talent at virtually all slots save one or two is just awesome. Be nice if the coaching caught up. Imagine that...
Share 49ersWebzone