There are 234 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I don't care for Roman a whole lot, but both of those plays (Staley and LMJ) were well-designed, well-executed, and both resulted in chunk yards for 1st downs...why on earth would you have a problem with that?

Good question.

First, I disagree about the LMJ play -- I think it was designed not so great. It took way too long to get LMJ the ball it should have been delivered to LMJ way sooner and he should have run the fake a couple of yards shallower. The more time it takes to set up the misdirection play the more time defenders have a chance to recover.

As far as the Joe Staley play -- it's nice that it worked. But, I think when you have too many of those plays, you're really telling the defense that you don't have something better to call. A gadget play for 5-10 yards is really saying we can't come up with a more conservative play to get 5-10 yards. After all, who would yu rather give the ball to-- gore,Boldin,Davis,Crabtree, or Staley?

The gadget play every 5-6 games is ok. But 2,3 times a game? It's not really a statement we should be making. IMO.

Re: LMJ, I'd have to see the play again to be sure but didn't seem like he was primary receiver on that...the fake was to draw defense's attn to (49ers') left side and then CK was looking to his right...no one open, so quickly back over to LMJ after defense had lost track of him. Or maybe it was intentional to look right and throw back left...regardless, it was a good play.

Still have no problem at all with the Staley play....who cares what kind of "statement" it makes? Wins are all that counts at this point. The guy is atheltic, can run and catch a pass. Now next time he's lined up on the end as an eligible receiver, it's just a little extra something opposing defense has to think about and account for.

All I care about is winning, and if some "gadget" plays are a means to that end, I'm all for it. Don't know if you consider the two WR reverses they ran on consecutive plays to start the game to be gadget plays, but I hope it's something we see more of.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
That's AR for ya!

I think crab waiving for the ball proves Kap has options. If it's the single read or run idea you guys keep pushing the other WR's would never motion for the ball. If you aren't an option you won't try to get the QB's attention.
Originally posted by jreff22:
That's AR for ya!

I think crab waiving for the ball proves Kap has options. If it's the single read or run idea you guys keep pushing the other WR's would never motion for the ball. If you aren't an option you won't try to get the QB's attention.

Don't butt heads with the mob, if they say its AR then it's AR.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This doot better have an ace up his sleeve for the playoffs.
Did we run a x amount of scripted plays in the beginning ?
My biggest problem with Roman today was his play selection on 3rd/4th and short. There were a couple stretch runs that lost 5 yards. It seems like he got scared off from running up the gut when we failed to pick up 4th and 1.
A$$ Clown of the Year

We finally light it up the first half, well first qtr really and then roman goes...somebody said potato head. So here is a question for the AR guys(NC and others)...assuming we are running some AR plays, does that make kap lock onto that receiver when one or two other guys are virtually uncovered on the other half of the field? Is it kap not seeing or is it AR plays demanding AR 1 is targeted or AR 2, and everybody else is a decoy? Because our decoys were open to beat the damn band on a lot of occasions tonite, and if kap is to blame, that's one thing. But if he looks bad because of fricking roman, that is another matter entirely.

To restate, if we play only PS, and no ARs, would kap be more likely to see the one or sometimes two guys wide open? Because if that is the case, then schidt can the AR an just play PS. The number of times kap missed really good receivers was amazing. And he still had 300+ yds. What would have happened if he had played WCO? I bet he would have had 450 yds. Our O calls are truly offensive. I think the really crappy calls make kap look bad...or is he doing that
on his own? I am asking out of ignorance, because I looked and honestly could not tell. Anybody?
  • Veteran
Imagine what Walsh could have done with this offense.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:

• Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by 190836:

lol!
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by jreff22:
That's AR for ya!

Don't butt heads with the mob, if they say its AR then it's AR.

They're more like a cult than a mob.......
[ Edited by aTx49er on Dec 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM ]
Those running plays in the beginning were nice. The ones that followed were just trash. I felt bad for gore running that sham run game.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Those running plays in the beginning were nice. The ones that followed were just trash. I felt bad for gore running that sham run game.

Yeah it was ugly. How many 3rd & 1's turned into 4th & 6? Just awful.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I just got home, man, this whole experience was almost surreal. In the 1st half, the 49ers offense was sensational, they were coming up with some great play-calls, keeping the Cards on their heels, and then all of a sudden Roman just went potato again, kept forcing the issue, running into a wall of Cardinals defenders time and time again, at one point I think Gore was averaging less than a yard per carry.

Also, when you combine this with the fact that the 49ers had receivers running WIDE f'ing OPEN throughout the game, I can't understand the playcalling or why he departed so strongly from what they did in the first half. Arizona was loading up to stop the run and the CB opposite Peterson......Powers....was struggling immensely. Roman's playcalling became almost too conservative and Kaepernick had a meh game. Yes, he threw for a lot of yards, but there were a lot of plays that he missed wide open guys 15-20 yards downfield. It was nice to see him check the ball down, I was shocked to hear Dixon's name the first time he caught a pass.

All in all, more frustration with Roman, he shows great things, gets away from them and the offense gets bogged down. That secondary is vulnerable and realistically 49ers should have put up about 40 points on them today.

Yeah, it was scary watching Kap overlook 2 wide open receivers on the same half of the field to force an impossible throw to AB.

Arg.

And can we stop with the frickin cute plays like the joe staley swing pass or the fake end around to lmj, then throw to lmj that has this guy running 55 yards just to get to the los.

I don't think he overlooked them. I think he gets greedy and goes for the sensational deep passes. His idol was Brett Favre. Need I say more?
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone