There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC and Adrian on 2nd thot, maybe the vance idea isn't that bad a compromise. For receiving, he is or should be better than miller. On blocking(ah... the problem),when you get down to it, all vance really does IS block(much to my consternation). The problem comes in the TYPE of block. With vance, he is pretty good at a stand up, blocking a guy inside or outside. With miller it is up the gut bob, and he bowls someone over. Have to admit, I haven't seen vance do that...nonetheless, he still of all the guys, is the most skilled blocker of LMJ, Hunter, and Baldwin.

I guess like a rose, you could say a block is a block is a block...unless it is an up the gut block with 1200 pounds coming at you from, all points on the compass. Surely it wouldn't hurt to put vance back there. See how he does. Heck, miller was a LB, not a FB. let's cross our fingers and see.

Vance doesn't need to change anything really. that's the thing. he can use the same exact role
and now go out for the passes and be the option instead of miller

we bring in or use a fb who is just a fullback from now on. just a guy to come in clear space for gore and that's it. not splitting out wide not running out routes not an option in the flat not the 3rd leading receiver..

just block for gore let everyone else do something for once
Roman sux. He needs to call more 1st and 2nd down passes early in games to make defenses honest. make them defend the whole field. especially with a QB arm as strong as Kaeprnick, he had Crabs wide open for a Huge post that he barely overthrew him on and also the VD overthrow before the sweet TD. Get more aggressive and ENOUGH of that Worthless JUMBO Crap that has YET to work in 3 seasons!!!
wrong thrad
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Dec 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Roman sux. He needs to call more 1st and 2nd down passes early in games to make defenses honest. make them defend the whole field. especially with a QB arm as strong as Kaeprnick, he had Crabs wide open for a Huge post that he barely overthrew him on and also the VD overthrow before the sweet TD. Get more aggressive and ENOUGH of that Worthless JUMBO Crap that has YET to work in 3 seasons!!!

I agree! Crabtree opens things up for us in a dramatic way. Without Crabtree, the opposing defense is able to double down on Vernon. Not anymore! Long attempts will loosen up the defense and get them out of the box.

Now if we could only hit some passes over the middle (although if I recall I did see ONE slant pattern - can't remember who it was too..perhaps Vernon).
Originally posted by pete98146:

I agree! Crabtree opens things up for us in a dramatic way. Without Crabtree, the opposing defense is able to double down on Vernon. Not anymore! Long attempts will loosen up the defense and get them out of the box.

Now if we could only hit some passes over the middle (although if I recall I did see ONE slant pattern - can't remember who it was too..perhaps Vernon).

yeah the slant worked flawlessly so genius decided not to use it again
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

the run game worked against the ravens getting us to the five but he ran away from it. the run game worked vs the colts this year and he ran away from it. even his ardent bathwater drinkers can see a disturbing pattern that usually ends up f**king us. hell its his fault we are in a battle for our playoff lives after he opted to lose the colts and panthers games
Originally posted by cciowa:
the run game worked against the ravens getting us to the five but he ran away from it. the run game worked vs the colts this year and he ran away from it. even his ardent bathwater drinkers can see a disturbing pattern that usually ends up f**king us. hell its his fault we are in a battle for our playoff lives after he opted to lose the colts and panthers games

He did his best to lose the game yesterday as well
He did his best to lose the game yesterday as well

yup

call what works get up then shut the offense down.

he's trolling us.

or jim is just simply too conservative

you can lose the game being too conservative. don't have to throw bombs but run a functional offense and be in a groove the entire game
cannot just turn it on and off and shouldn't be arrogant enough to think so.
Originally posted by cciowa:

There will be tears when he leaves. Of joy.
Sincal, no Schidt that. Without about umpteem busted plays, (the Bucs D didn't lay down like a doormat), kap literally was throwing passes on the run from everywhere but out of his bum. Two incredible 3rd downers to maybe miller and probably crabs, virtually standing on the sideline marker. Incredible balls both and they had hot sauce on them...two remarkable catches, also. Tampa didn't know it but once the managed to cancel out roman's called play, they let Kap figure it out, and in all but one case, he did. They had NO D for his improvisations. And that, plus a 60 yarder to #85 is what beat them. Playing Tampa straight up , running frank into a box 8 or 9(but who's counting), I think they beat us. I think it is safe to say alex probably doesn't win that game. And roman sure as schidt didn't win that game, until his called play crashed.

And yeah, once we find a winner(the slant) back it goes in the closet. He is, he is....infuriromanating. Against an elite yesterday, the play calling loses it for us. The analogy was made before that roman prefers 3 shots at 10-15 yards over 3 plays of 4-6 yds each. That to me says we got the wrong OC. Once again, I think we do better firing roman tomorrow and letting jim call plays...then get a top flite OC next yr.

Adrian, you don't think Dixon would be our best shot as a lead blocker? He would do the same thing he does infrequently now, except without the ball.
Adrian, "Roman focuses on making 1 person the all around Swiss army knife and that's just stupid." I resemble that remark..er, or is it, I resent that remark. Whatever, it IS STOOOOOPID. Wherever that came from, it just kind of fits roman's steel iron trap reasoning. My way or the hiway. Stoopid.

GM
, pretty stout words,( which I am starting to believe also,)... but for reasons set out above, by Adrian and NC, maybe this is a silver lining. In this thread earlier on and in others, I have said I like Miller, BUT would sure like to see Vance, Baldwin, LMJ or Hunter used as the bailout guy. Admittedly , that is not the same as a blocker for Frank. That is a problem, and a large one at that. Shame we didn't have One guy who could have pinch hit and at times taken the load for miller...just in case this happened? Boy, we got backups everywhere else, just not here unless we use Dixon for blocking, but not for pass outlets.

Unfortunately pasodoc, it's coming true already. I have no faith that Roman can create a sustained offense out of a paper bag and not having his lead blocker, he's still going to run his vanilla offense.... Our only hope is if a college team makes some great overture.
Please don't wish him on my alma mater, the HORNS. Speaking of which, after the Mack Brown announcement that he would retire after Alamo bowl, there has been nothing, NADA, from the UT alumni folks. I would take that to mean either one of the hotshot collegiate coaches in bowl games, not named Saban, or a hi profile, successful NFL coach, but that one just doesn't seem to ring true.

Saban's extension pushed him over $5mil/yr, and word is UT is willing to pay Saban double that(somewhere in the $10-12 mil range). Wonder what NFL coaches are thinking about that? If you are on top of your game, your team is right there for the playoffs, it would be really hard for me to assume a great interest by our HC. But one never knows what a dumptruck full of money can do to one's thought processes. I have an extremely hard time imagining JH doing something like that but, then again, none of us know him personally, nor where his priorities lie. My guess he would like to be to be the best in the best...the NFL. I sure am anxious for the NFL season to come and go and to see that we still have our HC.

In the meantime, winning the SB wouldn't be so bad either. As for roman, man I wish some Pac 12 team offers him a job.
Please don't wish him on my alma mater, the HORNS. Speaking of which, after the Mack Brown announcement that he would retire after Alamo bowl, there has been nothing, NADA, from the UT alumni folks. I would take that to mean either one of the hotshot collegiate coaches in bowl games, not named Saban, or a hi profile, successful NFL coach, but that one just doesn't seem to ring true.

Saban's extension pushed him over $5mil/yr, and word is UT is willing to pay Saban double that(somewhere in the $10-12 mil range). Wonder what NFL coaches are thinking about that? If you are on top of your game, your team is right there for the playoffs, it would be really hard for me to assume a great interest by our HC. But one never knows what a dumptruck full of money can do to one's thought processes. I have an extremely hard time imagining JH doing something like that but, then again, none of us know him personally, nor where his priorities lie. My guess he would like to be to be the best in the best...the NFL. I sure am anxious for the NFL season to come and go and to see that we still have our HC.

In the meantime, winning the SB wouldn't be so bad either. As for roman, man I wish some Pac 12 team offers him a job.

shoot if we win the SB and no one offers Roman a job, we're keeping him forever
if NCommand has figured out the "AR OFFENSE' as he likes to call it...u don't think every NFL d-cord that has played us has figured this out???? and if they have...they'd know by now who the AR is on various alignments and they could completely shut our passing game down easily

but that hasn't happened...why? because your assumption of this AR OFFENSE is inaccurate
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I'm telling you guys the sky is falling for Roman because there's no Bruce Miller in the offense. Harbaugh says it's a "huge" loss. In today's NFL very few teams would say their FB is irreplaceable. And if he is, then (1) you should have a prepared back-up and (2) start thinking about an effective game plan without him.

Sorry gents but each game that goes by, I lose more faith in this coaching staff on OFFENSE.

Me too. I had predicted in my "Predict the 53" coming into the season that Jason Schepler would make the team for this very reason. I said losing Miller would be like most WCO or Spread offenses losing their #1 TE or #2 or #3 WR. He's THAT valuable to this team...the man does everything. He's like the Ahmad Brooks of offense. He was getting pounded all year (in the passing game ironically) and had no backup but we kept going to him more and more and more. Of course, we never sub'd him out either. When we brought in Owen, I was excited b/c we finally had a FB we could develop "just in case." Oops. And now it sounds like Owen may not even want to sign with us? Roman just lost the best FB in the game and his #3 receiver. This should get real interesting now.