LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Greg Roman-is he really good ? I feel he is adequate but that's it. He has said that in his play calling he hopes he calls the right play at the right time. Do you really think Bill Walsh hoped he called the right play at the right time ? He knew what the right play was and had 3 different possibility's he may use on that play. Greg Roman will never come up with a super game plan that is creative and deceptive to ever win in a playoff game in Seattle and that's what concerns me because this scenario in Seattle may happen. To go up there and get smoked again I could not handle it. I think only Bill Walsh and Shanahan being the offensive play caller for that game is the only way we can win......that's just a pipe dream so I am very concerned about our chance with Greg Roman
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Poor Dawson - his foot... Roman might wear him out before the playoffs
Originally posted by ronin1387:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
IMO come playoff time the better defenses will be able to stop Romans predictable run-run-pass offense. The delayed draw

i have seen nothing but effective play calling during all these wins...one of them against the best team in the league

What about during the losses?
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Roman needs to watch how Andy Reid is working with Smith. Run some screens!!! Not on Third and long but through out the game to keep the D guessing. LMJ will be consider a bad pick by Balke but I say Harbaugh and Roman have not used him correctly. GMs job: Draft talented players Coaching staffs job: Develop player and have plays involved to showcase their talents.

LMJ is talented but we are not showcasing his talents. If you feel the will suspect that with LMJ, Gore is a great receiver as well.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Being a Niner fan since '70, I have never, ever complained about play calling. This year, I have. Not sure who to blame, if it is all Roman, why doesn't Harbaugh intervene? Isn't this more Harbaugh? The buck stops with him, especially on offense.

So your complaining about play calling now? But weren't when Singletary was coaching and Jimmy Raye was running the offense? or Mike Nolan and Jim Hostler? Dennis Erickson didn't do anything to make you complain?
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Being a Niner fan since '70, I have never, ever complained about play calling. This year, I have. Not sure who to blame, if it is all Roman, why doesn't Harbaugh intervene? Isn't this more Harbaugh? The buck stops with him, especially on offense.

So your complaining about play calling now? But weren't when Singletary was coaching and Jimmy Raye was running the offense? or Mike Nolan and Jim Hostler? Dennis Erickson didn't do anything to make you complain?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Lol
I love the plays where we take both Boldin and Crabtree off the field, makes playcalling less predictable that way
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
I love the plays where we take both Boldin and Crabtree off the field, makes playcalling less predictable that way

This. Going into the jumbo formation on the 30 yard line with nobody out wide. GEE, what are they gonna call?
Originally posted by dwett:
Roman needs to watch how Andy Reid is working with Smith. Run some screens!!! Not on Third and long but through out the game to keep the D guessing. LMJ will be consider a bad pick by Balke but I say Harbaugh and Roman have not used him correctly. GMs job: Draft talented players Coaching staffs job: Develop player and have plays involved to showcase their talents.

LMJ is talented but we are not showcasing his talents. If you feel the will suspect that with LMJ, Gore is a great receiver as well.

I've been saying this since the beginning of the season. It's ridiculous. We have both LMJ and hunter who would both flourish with screen passes. This would really come into effect against a team like Seattle.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
And now that we've lost Miller possibly, Roman doesn't know what to do ...

Convert Lemonier! What else!

i feel like LMJ is getting used more every week and hunter got some action today. might not be such a bad thing, ATL's defense is soft so i think our run game will still be great even if miller is a little beat up

He'll probably throw Celic into the Superman, "do everything" role.

But you're right losing Miller is absolutely devastating to Roman's playbook.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Isn't it great how often we take our best weapons off the field?
Excellent execution from our players today on offense. Play calling? Not so much. Our offense looked decent today in spite of Roman. Come playoffs, he really needs to get his s**t together because this predictable one dimensional crap offense he's calling will not get us anywhere.
Share 49ersWebzone