LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
The only thing that has really changed has been the quality and consistency of the QB play.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Forkenick:
The only thing that has really changed has been the quality and consistency of the QB play.

roman has not changed, he was a moron last year and that continues this year but he got a raise and extension so what the hell do i know?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm really starting to feel like Harbaugh ended up with the wrong Stanford offensive coordinator here.

LOL, I was just thinking the same thing myself!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Roman is the most overrated coach on the team. His strategy is weak, he is not innovative at all despite what the media says either.

P.S. How in the hell do you not run the ball three times from the five yard line to win the superbowl? Dumbass.

This is probably one of my biggest concerns about Roman...he doesn't seem to have much situational awareness and is counter productive to any "flow" of the game. Last game was an example of how we started to establish a flow in the run game and then immediately abandoned it to stick to the script. In the Superbowl, the final drive, we were running it down their throats on that drive, their DL was exhausted (although I do give him credit for the CK run that Harbaugh called a TO on), etc. When something is working, he doesn't stay with it until the defense proves it can stop it. Also, he's a poor chess player. He sticks to the game plan/script. He's not a guy who runs two fake reverses only to USE a reverse late in the game to catch the defense off guard. It's run to pass and pass to run. That's it. Stick with that script. The other big area of concern other than the entire offensive philopshy itself is that he is poor at targeting a defenses weaknesses...something Bill Walsh was a master of. And again, even if he DOES find a weakness by virtue of "following the script" he doesn't stick with attacking it. Again, poor situational awareness.

Roman validates my point to a tee just after I had posted this...

Roman: "Repeating successful plays is something we'll do, just didn't have a chance to get back to them, really."

Transcript: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/09/inside-the-49ers/roman-repeating-successful-plays-is-something-well-do-just-didnt-have-a-chance-to-get-back-to-them-really/
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM ]
Roman is the most overrated coach on the team. His strategy is weak, he is not innovative at all despite what the media says either.

P.S. How in the hell do you not run the ball three times from the five yard line to win the superbowl? Dumbass.

This is probably one of my biggest concerns about Roman...he doesn't seem to have much situational awareness and is counter productive to any "flow" of the game. Last game was an example of how we started to establish a flow in the run game and then immediately abandoned it to stick to the script. In the Superbowl, the final drive, we were running it down their throats on that drive, their DL was exhausted (although I do give him credit for the CK run that Harbaugh called a TO on), etc. When something is working, he doesn't stay with it until the defense proves it can stop it. Also, he's a poor chess player. He sticks to the game plan/script. He's not a guy who runs two fake reverses only to USE a reverse late in the game to catch the defense off guard. It's run to pass and pass to run. That's it. Stick with that script. The other big area of concern other than the entire offensive philopshy itself is that he is poor at targeting a defenses weaknesses...something Bill Walsh was a master of. And again, even if he DOES find a weakness by virtue of "following the script" he doesn't stick with attacking it. Again, poor situational awareness.

Roman: "Repeating successful plays is something we'll do, just didn't have a chance to get back to them, really."

Transcript: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/09/inside-the-49ers/roman-repeating-successful-plays-is-something-well-do-just-didnt-have-a-chance-to-get-back-to-them-really/

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Well, he can't get back to those plays b/c they are #35, #47 and #53 in the script/game plan. And with all these 3-and-outs, we never even GOT to play #34! "What do you want me to do?" LMAO

That is infuriating.

Couldn't get back to them?!?!?!
It was just RUNNING the football!!!

What a clown!!
Well, he can't get back to those plays b/c they are #35, #47 and #53 in the script/game plan. And with all these 3-and-outs, we never even GOT to play #34! "What do you want me to do?" LMAO

I really wanted to smash my head into my desk after reading that.

"Sorry guise, I'd like to keep doing the s**t that works over and over but I've got dozens of college-level plays to try out first that will make me seem undeniably clever if by some miracle they work."
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

That is infuriating.

What a clown!!

i refuse to read what he said. the head coach must be ok with it because he just lets it go. trying to figure out which coach is more stupid is a pretty fine line to walk right now
Yes the play calling and overall scheme has been terrible but to be fair they haven't had Davis Manningham Crabtree Walker (no longer on team) Moss (no longer on team) all key players in last years run. At the moment they have Boldin who is awesome but is the guy the other team focuses there whole game plan on Williams who is not a good #2 receiver in any form Patton a unproven rookie Moore a average receiver and Baldwin who isn't even active for some reason ya Roman over all is not doing a great job but he also has little to work with. Roman and the players both have to step up FAST or this season will be a waste in a hurry.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Sep 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

That is infuriating.

What a clown!!

i refuse to read what he said. the head coach must be ok with it because he just lets it go. trying to figure out which coach is more stupid is a pretty fine line to walk right now

Meh, I don't buy into coach speak, (esp 49ers) coaches you learn nothing from them.
I think Roman's quote was a jab to Harbaugh. Remember, Roman is our run designer. He LOVES to run. We all know there is a possibility that different people call different plays during the game and I wonder if Jim is to blame for the pass plays and the run plays not being called.

Or Roman may suck at pass play designs.
Raul, we had one helluva competition for WRs in camp and PS. From that we got some good ones, moore, patton, (Boldin of course, via trade), and Baldwin. I agree that kyle has not played like a #2, but I put a good part of the blame on Kap for that. Where "touch" passes are indicated, kap, who is frustrated , unloads an 86 mph fastball on guys like patton, moore, and kyle....and usually off target, throwing behind or in front of WR. The fact that 3 passes have bounced 15 feet in the air off WRs or DBs this yr, two for INTs, tells the story. jH is NOT giving Kap the coaching he needs to throw the touch pass,(he has thrown several good ones this yr), but the fiasco in SEA was two touch passes that were 8 feet over the WRs head. Kap is better than that, but it showed his inconsistency. He can make a lot of yards off touch passes...but they need to be closer than 8 feet over the WRs head.

2nd point is every single stinking 8 man line should be attacked with WCO , dink and dunk passes, either 1, 2 or 3 step drop passes. Alternatively, he could roll out, but that is for when the OL passblocking breaks down. WE DO NOT HAVE AN OL THAT CAN BLOCK FOR 5 or 7 STEP DROPS. Hence, the obvious need for WCO style Offense....and Kap is woefully lacking in that regard. So let's see these quick 1-3 step drops, quick hitters, and sooner rather than later, the 8 guys on LOS are going to move back to LB or CB, leaving a 4 man line....and FRank can run against that...Against 8 man lines he can't. Nobody can.

This is so simple it makes me want to cry...or vomit...but our HC steadfastly avoids doing this. I sure hope it isn't because BW made it famous...and JH wants to prove he can do it his way....when in fact, JH can't. I truly hope this isn't an ego thing with Coach H.

What I don't get is that he is a smart guy, thoughtful, analytical, and this "go deep" mentality because of Kap's cannon, is just screwing us over. Thurs nite we better play quick slants and outs, get 8 men off LOS, and split 5 receivers wide, sideline to sideline.(that includes anquan, moore, patton, Vance, and celek/RB). Use 2 or 3 step drops and Rams cannot defend it. Then if we get up on them, throw the occasional 50 yd pass...but don't expect it to be caught. Those are low, low percentage passes, and Kaps numbers reflect that.

Think about it: How could a guy who is all world go to QBR of 26 and 32 in two consecutive games, with completion rate well under 50%? By throwing what the D gives us, quick slants and outs, kap will reconnect, and start looking like the QB he is . Right now our game plan gives him no chance to be anything but sub par, an inferior QB.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Raul, we had one helluva competition for WRs in camp and PS. From that we got some good ones, moore, patton, (Boldin of course, via trade), and Baldwin. I agree that kyle has not played like a #2, but I put a good part of the blame on Kap for that. Where "touch" passes are indicated, kap, who is frustrated , unloads an 86 mph fastball on guys like patton, moore, and kyle....and usually off target, throwing behind or in front of WR. The fact that 3 passes have bounced 15 feet in the air off WRs or DBs this yr, two for INTs, tells the story. jH is NOT giving Kap the coaching he needs to throw the touch pass,(he has thrown several good ones this yr), but the fiasco in SEA was two touch passes that were 8 feet over the WRs head. Kap is better than that, but it showed his inconsistency. He can make a lot of yards off touch passes...but they need to be closer than 8 feet over the WRs head.

2nd point is every single stinking 8 man line should be attacked with WCO , dink and dunk passes, either 1, 2 or 3 step drop passes. Alternatively, he could roll out, but that is for when the OL passblocking breaks down. WE DO NOT HAVE AN OL THAT CAN BLOCK FOR 5 or 7 STEP DROPS. Hence, the obvious need for WCO style Offense....and Kap is woefully lacking in that regard. So let's see these quick 1-3 step drops, quick hitters, and sooner rather than later, the 8 guys on LOS are going to move back to LB or CB, leaving a 4 man line....and FRank can run against that...Against 8 man lines he can't. Nobody can.

This is so simple it makes me want to cry...or vomit...but our HC steadfastly avoids doing this. I sure hope it isn't because BW made it famous...and JH wants to prove he can do it his way....when in fact, JH can't. I truly hope this isn't an ego thing with Coach H.

What I don't get is that he is a smart guy, thoughtful, analytical, and this "go deep" mentality because of Kap's cannon, is just screwing us over. Thurs nite we better play quick slants and outs, get 8 men off LOS, and split 5 receivers wide, sideline to sideline.(that includes anquan, moore, patton, Vance, and celek/RB). Use 2 or 3 step drops and Rams cannot defend it. Then if we get up on them, throw the occasional 50 yd pass...but don't expect it to be caught. Those are low, low percentage passes, and Kaps numbers reflect that.

Think about it: How could a guy who is all world go to QBR of 26 and 32 in two consecutive games, with completion rate well under 50%? By throwing what the D gives us, quick slants and outs, kap will reconnect, and start looking like the QB he is . Right now our game plan gives him no chance to be anything but sub par, an inferior QB.
I agree with you 100% during camp they did have some receivers i thought were going to be good but at the moment there not there yet but by the end of the season i think they will. Your also right that Kaeps lack of touch on the ball and constant fast balls do hurt us. And you are absolutely right about using the WCO if we used it along with the power running of gore and hunter we would be in a better situation right now. But all the coaching staff calls is deep plays and Kaep is not hitting them and we go 3 and out or don't hold drives for very long. It is very frustrating I hope for the Ram game we see some kind of change.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Sep 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM ]
Roman is definitely overrated, its like he changes the gameplan after every drive and the players are trying to adjust to different mentalities. He was better with Alex cause he was Mr. Conservative and made gameplans easier, now he gets a Ferrari in Kap and fills it with 85 octane. It's crap! If this sh*t continues Harbaugh needs to do what his brother did last year and kick his ass to the curb.
Share 49ersWebzone