Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
roman has regressed

first season we couldn't call plays in the red zone so we kicked field goals

last season he couldn't call plays in the red zone and it cost us a super bowl

this season he can't call plays period and we can't even move the ball anymore.

the talent is there.

the coaching is not.
he has not regressed,, he was never any good in the first place. he somewhat redeemed himself by calling two good games in post season last year but then he f**ked things up on the biggest stage in the world,, right then he should have been fired but hell no,, lets reward the fat f**k for not allowing the players to win the super bowl by giving him a raise and extension. well we see what he has done so far this year which is just an extension of his poor coaching in the super bowl. and the head of the rattlesnake, JH deserves to be flamed because he has set there and let it happen. f**k roman, i said f**k him last year and nothing he has done has changed my mind on him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Greg Roman discusses Vernon Davis, LaMichael James, wide receivers-

"Jon's done a really nice job in practice. I like his attitude. He hasn't gotten into a game yet and I really haven't noticed anything but a guy coming in everyday working hard and flashing in practice. So, I think Jon's a guy we're very fortunate to have and his role could expand pretty soon."
http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/9/24/4767728/greg-roman-discusses-vernon-davis-lamichael-james-wide-receivers
i do not believe or trust anything he says,, he does not know how to use players anyway. did not know two years ago, did not know last year and we see what is going on this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the lowlights of last year were the two losses to the rams and the super bowl. so far the lowlights of this year has been the last two games,,, hmmmm what or who has been the common factor in all of those games?????? the little fat henchman of JH thats who
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Phoenix... you're finally starting to convert me.

Frank was KILLING it all game... but no, let's throw deep to GARRET CELEK and MARLON MOORE.

Jesus.
another example,, frank just busts off a big run to get us to the 7, little james gets two yards on first down against a run heavy defense to get us to the five, gore comes back in , so what does roman do, with the blessing of JH,, of course he gets cute and tries three disaster passes in a row..... even i can connect those dots to what took place last week when we had the one great drive via the run.
Roman is the most overrated coach on the team. His strategy is weak, he is not innovative at all despite what the media says either.

P.S. How in the hell do you not run the ball three times from the five yard line to win the superbowl? Dumbass.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
he can eat a huge meal just as quick as mike mccarthy and mike holmgren.... that's pretty good.
Originally posted by cciowa:
the lowlights of last year were the two losses to the rams and the super bowl. so far the lowlights of this year has been the last two games,,, hmmmm what or who has been the common factor in all of those games?????? the little fat henchman of JH thats who

Oddjob?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigwads:
Roman is the most overrated coach on the team. His strategy is weak, he is not innovative at all despite what the media says either.

P.S. How in the hell do you not run the ball three times from the five yard line to win the superbowl? Dumbass.

he ran away from the run then, he ran away from the run last sunday. i think its because he wants to show everyone how he is smarter than the game. of course JH lets it go
Originally posted by cciowa:

he ran away from the run then, he ran away from the run last sunday. i think its because he wants to show everyone how he is smarter than the game. of course JH lets it go

I has a sad
This is an interesting question. I am a fan of Greg Roman. I like his multiple formations and his creativity. That being said, I do think he is overrated by Niner fans and the media especially when the niners are winning. I always think, wow he gets a lot of praise but we don't score much. At the end of the day, I think he is a solid OC who gets a little too cute at times. The constant clock management issues on offense speak to this. Also, when you look at offensive output, the Niners are middle of the road especially considering how strong the defense is. I think when GRo is on and his gameplay is working, there are few better. I'd say he is a top ten OC in this league, probably 7-10th ranked.

I have been viscerally sick since midway thru our last game, seeing a replay of the SEA game, the NFCC game(2 yrs ago), and the SB. So why did it happen? How could a team be in the NFCC game one yr, then the SB the next, and then come out this yr and play like none of the players or coaches had ever been in a NFL game before? Here's a couple ideas:

At one moment in time, Kap got promoted before he should have been, even tho he was more talented than alex. Sure you could make a case for promoting kap, but you could also make a case for sticking with alex, with his 60% pass completion plus winning record. Coach wanted kap, and we got him. At that very moment in time, Kap was indisputably the VERY BEST read/option QB on the planet (RG3 was pretty good also). We raked GB with the R/O, then went to SEA and the R/O got exposed. Pete the cheat had it figured out. And everybody in the league virtually overnite figured out how to defend it.

Additionally, it became apparent that kap was an incredibly gifted athlete, and became an overnite sensation....based on false pretenses....the R/O. R/O was a flash in the pan, a gimmick offense, that when first seen , fooled everybody. Sadly, the NFL learned quickly how to stop it, and everybody but our HC and OC realized it. With kap's cannon for an arm, plus the R/O, he was all world. Now, faced with the abrupt end of R/O, Kap looks like a kid who is in his 3rd yr in the league, and doesn't seem to grasp the O game plan or game calls he is expected to complete. He was told(correctly) to not run so much or he would end his career, much like RG3. So he quit running. Completely. He just stands there like a wooden pole, and as the OL breaks down , as it has for the last 3 yrs, he just manfully takes his sacks.

In frustration, being asked to throw the ball downfield instead of throwing quick short slants and outs(WCO), kap is trying to beat teams with long to medium range passes that our OL cannot block for. Kap throws 86 mph fastballs to guys 10 feet away, and 3 of those have bounced straight up , 15 feet in the air. One was an INT. Kap is frustrated with the schidt for game plan, and sees his brilliant career go into the toilet. His OC, Roman, sees none of this, just remembering how well that R/O worked at the end of last yr. In fact, roman is fixated with it. He can no more see that the R/O is done. Over. Kaput....than he can throw a truck over the empire state building. And our HC? Welp, he's in roman's corner, certain that if roman likes it, he does too. JH is not looking at what is real and happening right now. He too, is still fixated with the R/O and the "GO LONG" theory.

This has resulted in a terrifically talented QB going backwards in his career, a lucky OC not seeing the present and living in the past, and a HC who should know better, but obviously doesn't. On top of all this, we have Vic Fangio, DC, who blitzed SEA once , and that was at the goal line , giving up an easy TD. Right now this team is leaderless, has no game plan to correct the above, and is just staggering thru the motions. The loss of p-52 and aldon sure don't help, but we have a great HC who right now is clueless. JH is a smart man. He knows his OL cannot passblock. He runs Frank into an 8 man line and then wonders why it didn't work.

Coach Harbaugh is THE HEAD COACH. Right now he needs to grab the reins of O and D, and change course. Go back to our strength, the shorter passes which will work...and will get 8 guys off the LOS. He will help his QB regain his composure and will help his RB be able to run effectively. By also running the D, he will see when it is a good time to blitz and when isn't. I have faith in Coach H. I do not have any in roman, and very little in fangio. So here's a suggestion, Jim. Do the damn coaching yourself. Relying on guys who continue to fail, continue to put out a bad product, is going to make you fail. You are the HC. Act like one. Bellichek has called both O and D for yrs. Time for you to put on both hats, and then you will be an effective HC. Allegiance to roman and vic are going to bring you down. Get rid of the guys who have mismanaged the O and D.

In short, cc has been right from the gitgo about roman and fangio...and my feelings about those two guys haven't changed either.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM ]

This is probably one of my biggest concerns about Roman...he doesn't seem to have much situational awareness and is counter productive to any "flow" of the game. Last game was an example of how we started to establish a flow in the run game and then immediately abandoned it to stick to the script. In the Superbowl, the final drive, we were running it down their throats on that drive, their DL was exhausted (although I do give him credit for the CK run that Harbaugh called a TO on), etc. When something is working, he doesn't stay with it until the defense proves it can stop it. Also, he's a poor chess player. He sticks to the game plan/script. He's not a guy who runs two fake reverses only to USE a reverse late in the game to catch the defense off guard. It's run to pass and pass to run. That's it. Stick with that script. The other big area of concern other than the entire offensive philopshy itself is that he is poor at targeting a defenses weaknesses...something Bill Walsh was a master of. And again, even if he DOES find a weakness by virtue of "following the script" he doesn't stick with attacking it. Again, poor situational awareness.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Coach Harbaugh is THE HEAD COACH. Right now he needs to grab the reins of O, and change course.

You have noted this point for a while and honestly, I would love to see this for a variety of reasons including 1) I'm curious to see how we fare this way (more Stanford or WCO plays?), 2) it forces Harbaugh/CK to communicate throughout the game intimately which is big for a young QB and 3) it kees Harbaugh off the refs asses and focused on the "flow" of the game
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Coach Harbaugh is THE HEAD COACH. Right now he needs to grab the reins of O, and change course.

You have noted this point for a while and honestly, I would love to see this for a variety of reasons including 1) I'm curious to see how we fare this way (more Stanford or WCO plays?), 2) it forces Harbaugh/CK to communicate throughout the game intimately which is big for a young QB and 3) it kees Harbaugh off the refs asses and focused on the "flow" of the game
Jh is just as much to blame as his henchman,, he has let it go on. he must like what he has seen in the last two games because he has done nothing to change or stop it
I'm really starting to feel like Harbaugh ended up with the wrong Stanford offensive coordinator here.
Share 49ersWebzone