There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The completeness of our team

I don't think any 49ers team can be in the same discussion with the 89, 84, 94 teams (in that order) until it matches their achievement which means win it all, and win it convincingly as they did.

As far as this year's league goes, we are good but we have to prove that (1) our offense can produce consistently against good defences; (2) our kick coverage units are back were they were last year and; (3) that we can come from behind like we did last year in the Eagles and Saints games
Wow move on with humble hearts as HE says.....didnt expect this kind of thread in week 6......I think Ill wait till week 12 to come back to this thread.....
Originally posted by lordfangio:
Just because some of those teams won Super Bowls doesn't make them more COMPLETE. No Super Bowl winning Niner team had an overall running game even close to as good as ours is now. Nor as good a defense, nor as good a kicker, nor as good a punter.

Well, we had pretty good running games in the 80's with Roger Craig and Tom Rathman, and the D was also extreme good, if underrated in comparison with the O. And if I remember correctly, the aerial game wasn't bad either.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol the most complete team of all time now? Lets see them win a Super Bowl first. Right now this team has nothing on the 88 49ers

The Niners went 10 and 6 in 88 and were never considered a power house that year. Rumors swirled that Montana had lost a step, that the league had caught up to Bill Walsh's system and the Media and fans were crying for Steve Young to start. But things heated up towards the end. Don't know where you all were but I was there. The 49ers were considered a long shot that year. Don't get me wrong, that was my favorite season but the team was not considered a powerhouse let alone a complete team. It was the 84 and 89 49ers that are arguably considered the best and most complete teams.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
This team has been being built since 2005, which is 7 years

Coaching staff built in 2011.

As opposed to the 87-89 team that had already won Super Bowls.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol the most complete team of all time now? Lets see them win a Super Bowl first. Right now this team has nothing on the 88 49ers

The Niners went 10 and 6 in 88 and were never considered a power house that year. Rumors swirled that Montana had lost a step, that the league had caught up to Bill Walsh's system and the Media and fans were crying for Steve Young to start. But things heated up towards the end. Don't know where you all were but I was there. The 49ers were considered a long shot that year. Don't get me wrong, that was my favorite season but the team was not considered a powerhouse let alone a complete team. It was the 84 and 89 49ers that are arguably considered the best and most complete teams.

You forget the 87 team.
Originally posted by vermonator:
The Niners went 10 and 6 in 88 and were never considered a power house that year. Rumors swirled that Montana had lost a step, that the league had caught up to Bill Walsh's system and the Media and fans were crying for Steve Young to start. But things heated up towards the end. Don't know where you all were but I was there. The 49ers were considered a long shot that year. Don't get me wrong, that was my favorite season but the team was not considered a powerhouse let alone a complete team. It was the 84 and 89 49ers that are arguably considered the best and most complete teams.

Im speaking in retrospect. Obviously the rumors about Montana were completely untrue and the 88 49ers were nearly the same exact team personel-wise as the 89 49ers. I give the 88 team my love over the 89 team because they still had Walsh at the helm
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Coaching staff built in 2011.

As opposed to the 87-89 team that had already won Super Bowls.

Ok....but this particular team has been accumulating its pieces since 2005 and has been a preseason Super Bowl contender since 2009. Its not like this team didn't have high expectations before Harbaugh arrived. Harbaugh was hired and the team already had a core of really good players at key positions.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Oct 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Ok....but this particular team has been accumulating its pieces since 2005 and has been a preseason Super Bowl contender since 2009. Its not like this team didn't have high expectations before Harbaugh arrived. Harbaugh was hired and the team already had a core of really good players at key positions.

If you want to get technical on me...lets find the oldest employee in terms of service and say the 9ers were building from that time!

Edit: Looks like Brian Jennings--2000 among the players so they've been building since then.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM ]
Between these teams: 49ers, Falcons, Texans, and Ravens, which team would you rather not face? IMO most people would pick the niners.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If you want to get technical on me...lets find the oldest employee in terms of service and say the 9ers were building from that time!

Edit: Looks like Brian Jennings--2000 among the players so they've been building since then.

Frank Gore and Alex Smith were drafted in 2005. I don't think thats a crazy starting point for the assembly of the current team
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Frank Gore and Alex Smith were drafted in 2005. I don't think thats a crazy starting point for the assembly of the current team

I go for the point at which the team turned a corner...2011. But it can always be linked to a majority of players being picked in a particular year. As I mentioned earlier, Nolan did a good job bringing in talent but didn't really have a clue about making an offense go.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I go for the point at which the team turned a corner...2011. But it can always be linked to a majority of players being picked in a particular year. As I mentioned earlier, Nolan did a good job bringing in talent but didn't really have a clue about making an offense go.

Or making a defense go... As much of a guru he is supposed to be he couldn't do much with the talent he collected on defense either. I am glad he was here though he drafted Vernon, Frank, Staley, Alex, Ray Mac, T Brown, Goldson, Soap, and acquired Justin Smith
[ Edited by DirtyP on Oct 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM ]
Speaking purely statistically, it's not even close. #1 rated passing game. Significantly more rushing yards and yards per carry than any other team, #1 scoring defense (despite allowing 2 long garbage time TD drives), the best pass defense in the league, a run defense that has been simply legendary going on quite a few years now, the best kicker, the best punter, and let's just throw the best long snapper in there for good measure. It's a joke.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Agreed. I'd have to say, this is the most balanced team I've ever seen.

- Highly efficient quarterback play.
- Power running game.
- Versatile offense that can run power and spread out the defense with the pass. (Perfectionists say we still need to get better at the passing game though.)
- Highly disruptive defense that can stop the run, rush the passer, tackle the football, and force turnovers.
- One of the more consistent place-kickers, and arguably the best punter in the league.
- Excellent and steady return man.
- Coaching staff that is creative, can motivate, can gameplan, instills discipline, and makes great game decisions.
- Close-knit locker room where the players play for each other.

There's very very few chinks in our armor. I want to say that the only things we can't do is pass +60% of the time (who in their right mind would?) consistently, and our coverage units have been shaky this year.
Agree with this post.