There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 5: Thoughts after rewatching the game (twice) ;-)

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Not going there. The last team that did that was the Falcons with their "State of California" trophy that they put on the sideline at Candlestick. They proceeded to get routed like 40-3 or something that day.

Bad mojo.

that dre bly fumble.. dumbest thing ive seen on a football field.. suprised he wasnt cut after the game..
Originally posted by CityKing415:
Not going there. The last team that did that was the Falcons with their "State of California" trophy that they put on the sideline at Candlestick. They proceeded to get routed like 40-3 or something that day.

Bad mojo.

that dre bly fumble.. dumbest thing ive seen on a football field.. suprised he wasnt cut after the game..

Not sure if you meant to imply it was the same game, but that trophy was from way back in the Jerry Glanville days.

Bad mojo.

Had forgotten that! LOL! Talk about a dumb mistake. Was that Glanville?

Edit--answered before I finished my post...now that's service!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM ]
yea not the same game.. same result. blown out by the falcons. lol
That game was best ass whooping since they beat the Bucs last year and it was joyful to watch. Alex did have his best day as a pro even though it was against Buffalo but none the less he played really well props to him. The defense has just been relentless they have been just shutting teams out the last two game. The offense looked really good getting 600+ yards which is practically unheard of. The special teams is not as good as year but if you have a better offense you can cover up for that. Overall the team looked really good now lets go kick the Giants asses.
Originally posted by CityKing415:
yea not the same game.. same result. blown out by the falcons. lol

Actually in the game I was referring to the Falcons had won against all California teams that year so they brought a "California Trophy" with them. If I recall, they put it right there on the sideline. Then they came to the 'stick and got BLOWN out by the Niners. Haven't seen that California trophy since. I think they left it right there on that sideline. LOL.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM ]
oh sh*t. man now I remember that. yea that trophy must be in our locker room somewhere lol.
Excellent post. Agree w/all your points

Here's my take. Our coaching was the best on both sides of the ball.

We seem to take what the opposition defenses give us and - Man - did we take it this game. They dared us to throw deep and Alex was dynamite. His running plays were scary-good.

Hunter is getting better every week and so is Manningham.

Boone & Davis are really making a difference. They are real tough. Their biggest test will be next week.

Crabs was a dominant player on the field. His blocking is way overlooked by pundits.

VD is a total beast. he's the total package - speed, hands, blocking YAC.

Kyle is also getting better every week and good for him and us.

Thanks Marv
Originally posted by jreff22:
Wish Aldon got a sack to hit the record....seems a bit hot and cold right now.

He didn't register a sack, but he had 2-3 good licks on Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick was getting the ball out quick the whole game, the reason why Aldon didn't get a sack this week. He was getting pressure on a pretty regular basis though.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

He didn't register a sack, but he had 2-3 good licks on Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick was getting the ball out quick the whole game, the reason why Aldon didn't get a sack this week. He was getting pressure on a pretty regular basis though.

true, but with 2 starters out and a backup going down I figured we would destroy Fitz

true, but with 2 starters out and a backup going down I figured we would destroy Fitz

Bills ran alot of short passes and moved Fitz around on bootlegs and the like all to avoid the rush.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
[Originally posted in the Alex completion thread - but think it is more appropriate here]

Here is what I saw that was different in this game:

1. More time in the pocket - hopefully this is the OL getting better and can be repeated - but it was also a function of poor Bills DL.

2. LOOKING OFF the defense - Alex did a MUCH better job of eye discipline - keeping his head turned slightly away from where he ultimately threw the ball. Ironically, that is a function of #1 above, because without pressure a QB is less urgently looking immediately to make his throw.

3. Receivers getting separation - In several previous posts I have noted (complained) that our offense doesn't seem to be able to generate that wide open receiver as often as other offenses do - which could be part receiver's lack of ability to separate and part scheme. In this game, there were many times receivers created great separation. I hope this was G-Ro scheme developing rather than poor Bills D.

This is the kind of game that an offense can use to build confidence to take more shots - even against better defenses in the future. Hope this is a big step forward.

Frankly, despite the win last week against the Jets I was worried that in order to win the 49ers were becoming 1 dimensional -- all run -- which would make them vulnerable to a high scoring game. This game was a huge step toward the 9ers becoming a truly balanced offense. It will take a few more like this to be complete - but huge to see the progress!! Go 9ers.

Great post but here is one to think about...

Back in the day, Walsh came into a league dominated by the RB position and installed the WCO going against the grain. Teams were not equipped to beat a short-to-intermediate, quick passing game. Flash forward to 2011. Today in the NFL, aside from the Lions and Bills, who invest money into their DL's anymore during a league that is clearly about the passing game (paying heavily to CB's and S's, LBers, etc.).

So we just ran right over the Lions and Bills and dominated others like GB & didn't even attempt that against the Vikings.

So, in today's game, even if we go one-dimensional (run game), who is equipped to stop us with their DL? Texans? This just seems Walshian-like to me! Except we run to set up the pass in today's WCO. And then run a ton in the 2nd half just like the original WCO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM ]
According to Maiocco, Manningham was the #1 WR Sunday. He was on the field for 32 plays vs. 29 for Crabtree. Third highest was K. Williams, 20.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
That game was best ass whooping since they beat the Bucs last year and it was joyful to watch. Alex did have his best day as a pro even though it was against Buffalo but none the less he played really well props to him. The defense has just been relentless they have been just shutting teams out the last two game. The offense looked really good getting 600+ yards which is practically unheard of. The special teams is not as good as year but if you have a better offense you can cover up for that. Overall the team looked really good now lets go kick the Giants asses.
Who are you? Or rather what was your handle before you lost the bet,lol?

Yeah, hard to get a sack though when Fitzpatrick is throwing the ball in 3 seconds or under. That's the one good thing about Fitzpatrick, he doesn't hold onto the ball. The bad thing though, sometimes he could find a better receiver if he looked at his 2nd or 3rd option though. That would've also allowed Aldon to register some sacks, I believe. However, that might've been in the Bills game plan. Instead of the 3.5-4 second clock in the QB's head, they lowered it to 3 seconds maximum.