There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Originally posted by rk1642:
Crabtree has gotten better this year no doubt.

But he cannot win one on one with a top db and that is killing us. For that matter, none of wr's are good at that! VD is the best but teams are double teaming him on all passing downs, which makes Crab's inability to win more one on one battles even more troubling!

He is a solid #2 or #3 wr in the NFL but thats it.

Crazy
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:


Awesome pic! Crabtree is much better, faster and healthier this season for sure. Hopefully we can continue to keep getting him the ball and letting this guy make plays!
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Crabtree has gotten better this year no doubt.

But he cannot win one on one with a top db and that is killing us. For that matter, none of wr's are good at that! VD is the best but teams are double teaming him on all passing downs, which makes Crab's inability to win more one on one battles even more troubling!

He is a solid #2 or #3 wr in the NFL but thats it.

Crazy

Hard to beat good CBs when your QB wont throw into tight coverage.....just saying
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Crabtree has gotten better this year no doubt.

But he cannot win one on one with a top db and that is killing us. For that matter, none of wr's are good at that! VD is the best but teams are double teaming him on all passing downs, which makes Crab's inability to win more one on one battles even more troubling!

He is a solid #2 or #3 wr in the NFL but thats it.

Crazy

Hard to beat good CBs when your QB wont throw into tight coverage.....just saying

So he can get booed when his target doesn't fight for the ball? There is a small difference in tight coverage and being covered. Our WRs were covered most of that game Thursday night.
[ Edited by redmanc07 on Oct 20, 2012 at 7:00 AM ]
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Crabtree has gotten better this year no doubt.

But he cannot win one on one with a top db and that is killing us. For that matter, none of wr's are good at that! VD is the best but teams are double teaming him on all passing downs, which makes Crab's inability to win more one on one battles even more troubling!

He is a solid #2 or #3 wr in the NFL but thats it.

Crazy

Hard to beat good CBs when your QB wont throw into tight coverage.....just saying

So he can get booed when his target doesn't fight for the ball? There is a small difference in tight coverage and being covered. Our WRs were covered most of that game Thursday night.
I dont buy into the "our recievers dont fight for the ball argument." If anything, attacking the ball is one of Crabtrees strengths. He's always used his long arms and quick reflexes to catch the ball before it hits his body. Im not saying he never makes a mistake, but more often than not he'll snag the ball out of the air rather than wait for it.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont buy into the "our recievers dont fight for the ball argument." If anything, attacking the ball is one of Crabtrees strengths. He's always used his long arms and quick reflexes to catch the ball before it hits his body. Im not saying he never makes a mistake, but more often than not he'll snag the ball out of the air rather than wait for it.

Yes, in college he did. Haven't seen the same Crabtree in the NFL except for rare occasions...and snagging the ball out of the air is not what is meant by "fighting for the ball." That requires running through, over or jumping in front of the DB to take the ball. We have seen that at times from Moss, Crabtree and Edwards (last year). We just don't have a Larry Fitzgerald type guy who fights every time it's necessary.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont buy into the "our recievers dont fight for the ball argument." If anything, attacking the ball is one of Crabtrees strengths. He's always used his long arms and quick reflexes to catch the ball before it hits his body. Im not saying he never makes a mistake, but more often than not he'll snag the ball out of the air rather than wait for it.

Yes, in college he did. Haven't seen the same Crabtree in the NFL except for rare occasions...and snagging the ball out of the air is not what is meant by "fighting for the ball." That requires running through, over or jumping in front of the DB to take the ball. We have seen that at times from Moss, Crabtree and Edwards (last year). We just don't have a Larry Fitzgerald type guy who fights every time it's necessary.

While I dont think our recievers are great, I think they are adequit. I think we should be able to move the chains with what we have.

I think fighting for the ball certainly is a mind set. Its total speculation, but I think if our Wrs anticipated the ball being thrown to them in tight coverage or jump scenerios, I think they would keep that mentality with them in the game. Who knows though. We certainly dont have anyone on the roster worthy of number one reciever title.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
While I dont think our recievers are great, I think they are adequit. I think we should be able to move the chains with what we have.

I think fighting for the ball certainly is a mind set. Its total speculation, but I think if our Wrs anticipated the ball being thrown to them in tight coverage or jump scenerios, I think they would keep that mentality with them in the game. Who knows though. We certainly dont have anyone on the roster worthy of number one reciever title.

Football isn't easy to analyze, which is why there are always so many different views of each play. Some people want to blame a QB for not seeing everything they see on their TV or from the stands and sometimes this is true of other positions as well. Seattle was trying to shut down the pass and allowing some great runs by Gore, but if they had stacked the box the game might have become more open to passing.

Smith talked about the Hawks stacking the box and then quickly dropping back, as Baltimore did last year, so he had to be careful not to prejudge where to throw the ball.

It is also very possible for Smith to have a bad game or two, or a mediocre game and this team can still beat pretty good teams...just not the NYGs.

Edit: we can certainly agree on the bold...which is why I would like to see what Jenkins can do.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
While I dont think our recievers are great, I think they are adequit. I think we should be able to move the chains with what we have.

I think fighting for the ball certainly is a mind set. Its total speculation, but I think if our Wrs anticipated the ball being thrown to them in tight coverage or jump scenerios, I think they would keep that mentality with them in the game. Who knows though. We certainly dont have anyone on the roster worthy of number one reciever title.

Football isn't easy to analyze, which is why there are always so many different views of each play. Some people want to blame a QB for not seeing everything they see on their TV or from the stands and sometimes this is true of other positions as well. Seattle was trying to shut down the pass and allowing some great runs by Gore, but if they had stacked the box the game might have become more open to passing.

Smith talked about the Hawks stacking the box and then quickly dropping back, as Baltimore did last year, so he had to be careful not to prejudge where to throw the ball.

It is also very possible for Smith to have a bad game or two, or a mediocre game and this team can still beat pretty good teams...just not the NYGs.

Edit: we can certainly agree on the bold...which is why I would like to see what Jenkins can do.
Nothing like a little civility in NinerTalk....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Nothing like a little civility in NinerTalk....

Civility is always nice...but is not always easy!

A comment from Crabtree after the game reaffirms my concern about his attitude. When asked about the QB draw call that was short of the first down but led to a FG, MC shook his head and said, "I don't want to talk about it, bro, cause I know if I say something....We won -- you know what I mean? I can't say anything, because we won."

"I can't say anything because we won." So if they lose...? Just his general attitude...I know complaining will get me in trouble so I'm going to complain by telling you I'm not complaining. He is a downer! I understand this offensive style is very tough on WRs because they don't get many opportunities so I won't complain about MC's attitude.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Nothing like a little civility in NinerTalk....

Civility is always nice...but is not always easy!

A comment from Crabtree after the game reaffirms my concern about his attitude. When asked about the QB draw call that was short of the first down but led to a FG, MC shook his head and said, "I don't want to talk about it, bro, cause I know if I say something....We won -- you know what I mean? I can't say anything, because we won."

"I can't say anything because we won." So if they lose...? Just his general attitude...I know complaining will get me in trouble so I'm going to complain by telling you I'm not complaining. He is a downer! I understand this offensive style is very tough on WRs because they don't get many opportunities so I won't complain about MC's attitude.

Hey bro, he's got incentives to hit....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Hey bro, he's got incentives to hit....

I would hope that no WR would every agree to incentives when signing with a Harbaugh team unless it was "number of blocks sustained" type of deal. LOL!
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Crabtree has gotten better this year no doubt.

But he cannot win one on one with a top db and that is killing us. For that matter, none of wr's are good at that! VD is the best but teams are double teaming him on all passing downs, which makes Crab's inability to win more one on one battles even more troubling!

He is a solid #2 or #3 wr in the NFL but thats it.

Crazy

Hard to beat good CBs when your QB wont throw into tight coverage.....just saying

So he can get booed when his target doesn't fight for the ball? There is a small difference in tight coverage and being covered. Our WRs were covered most of that game Thursday night.

like Moss in the endzone??
Originally posted by fly15:
like Moss in the endzone??

I like Moss in the end zone. I like Moss on the field. I like moss everywhere fly I am.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by fly15:
like Moss in the endzone??

I like Moss in the end zone. I like Moss on the field. I like moss everywhere fly I am.

You left out green eggs and ham....
...