There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Sure, there are always exemptions like Robinson, Mugsy, Boykins, ect but my point stands.

The leg explosion and stamina isn't there for many NFL players to compete in the NBA not to mention the skill it entails. Mugsy would blow up the NFL combine with a 50" vertical. You have the choice you do the NBA. Its simple arithmetic when you have a guaranteed salary, greater exposure because there is no helmet and you have a greater impact 5 on 5. This all leads to greater endorsements and because of the absence of violence as opposed to the NFL, you play well into your 30s. This alone is why the best of the best athletically choose basketball over football. There is natural selection involved here. If you can't make NBA then try something else ... like NFL?? A Rod can't touch what can make. He can't come close!!
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
if I could play bball or football, I play bball because the contracts are guaranteed and the endorsements are greater. It is a team sport but if you have a LeBron, Jordan or Shaq in his prime you will probably win the chip. One stud makes the world of difference in a 5 on 5 and this is why LeBron and Kobe have so much power today. Now you tell me if you put in D Wade or Michael Westbrook as a WR running a 4.3 with a 45" vertical weighing 220 lbs with impeccable footwork and stamina and I ask you who will contain them? Same for Lebron at TE running a 4.5 weighing 260 and at 6'8" with a 43" vertical and impeccable footwork and stamina and I ask you who defends him? LeBron only plays bball over football because it pays more and it is guaranteed with greater endorsements. Plus he can do it until he is 38yo. NBA athletes are superior but NFL football is superior to watch, BY FAR!!

I don't think that's fair to say. Everyone keeps using TE and WR as examples of a position guys like Kobe and LeBron could excel at. However, realize that football, unlike basketball, is a very specialized skill set specific to the position.

What if you put Lebron at running back? Why not line him up at the 1 or 3 technique on the Dline? How would he fair as an OT or inside LB? While we are at it, what could he do at safety or on the corner?

The fact is, basketball is a tall man game. If your not tall, your out, but that doesn't mean you're less than an athlete. Footballs great, because it takes so many talent players with many different body types. No way Kobe last five minutes in the trenches or lining up in the backfield as a fullback. You really think LeBron at 260lbs stands a chance against a guy like Justin Smith, Ngata or Watt? Dude would get collapsed. So you can't just say, basketball has better athletes.

Basketball has more athletes that could cross over and excel in the NFL. Lebron could play anything in the NFL from TE, OLB, S, FS, CB, QB, WR. He would rule the NFL combine and he would go before Clowney. But why would he choose the NFL when the NBA is more lucrative with greater longevity. Now just what position would any NFL player play in the NBA?? The NBA takes much more size, skill and ability just to play any of the 5 spots on the floor. There is a physocal element to the NFL but once he takes a few hits, LBJ would rule the NFL. I would want him on the 49ers. And there are plenty others in the NBA that could do some of the same things. What could an NFL player do in the NBA? Natural selection bro
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
if I could play bball or football, I play bball because the contracts are guaranteed and the endorsements are greater. It is a team sport but if you have a LeBron, Jordan or Shaq in his prime you will probably win the chip. One stud makes the world of difference in a 5 on 5 and this is why LeBron and Kobe have so much power today. Now you tell me if you put in D Wade or Michael Westbrook as a WR running a 4.3 with a 45" vertical weighing 220 lbs with impeccable footwork and stamina and I ask you who will contain them? Same for Lebron at TE running a 4.5 weighing 260 and at 6'8" with a 43" vertical and impeccable footwork and stamina and I ask you who defends him? LeBron only plays bball over football because it pays more and it is guaranteed with greater endorsements. Plus he can do it until he is 38yo. NBA athletes are superior but NFL football is superior to watch, BY FAR!!

I don't think that's fair to say. Everyone keeps using TE and WR as examples of a position guys like Kobe and LeBron could excel at. However, realize that football, unlike basketball, is a very specialized skill set specific to the position.

What if you put Lebron at running back? Why not line him up at the 1 or 3 technique on the Dline? How would he fair as an OT or inside LB? While we are at it, what could he do at safety or on the corner?

The fact is, basketball is a tall mans game. If your not tall, your out. But, that doesn't mean you're less than an athlete because you skill set isn't a "tall bean pole." Footballs great, because it takes so many talent players with many different body types. No way Kobe last five minutes in the trenches or lining up in the backfield as a fullback. You really think LeBron at 260lbs stands a chance against a guy like Justin Smith, Ngata or Watt? Dude would get collapsed. So you can't just say, basketball has better athletes.

Edit: Sorry I can't stop. What about some of these kids coming out of the combine running 4.6 or 4.7 weighing over 300lbs? Look at the number Poe put up this year. That is a huge, fast and scary man.

But what would Poe do in the NBA??. He would get his shot stuffed all day by D Wade and get gassed running on fumes up and down the court. NFLers can't do the NBA but there are plenty of NBAers that can do the NFL. Man we need to get this thread back on track!!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Basketball has more athletes that could cross over and excel in the NFL. Lebron could play anything in the NFL from TE, OLB, S, FS, CB, QB, WR. He would rule the NFL combine and he would go before Clowney. But why would he choose the NFL when the NBA is more lucrative with greater longevity. Now just what position would any NFL player play in the NBA?? The NBA takes much more size, skill and ability just to play any of the 5 spots on the floor. There is a physocal element to the NFL but once he takes a few hits, LBJ would rule the NFL. I would want him on the 49ers. And there are plenty others in the NBA that could do some of the same things. What could an NFL player do in the NBA? Natural selection bro
I'm sorry, I just can't agree with you there. I'm not even sure what would make you think that?

I think in your mind, tall equals better. And in the case of basketball, you are correct. In football, there are positions where tall is better, but that's not all or most positions. In basketball, tall is better at every positions. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Dlineman and Olineman in the NFL who are only a shade shorter than your 6'8 guard, but are much stronger. They may not be tall and fast, but they are tall and strong. Again, define "athletic" and its specific to the sport. So do you value speed or power more? You think LeBron could even begin to move Iupati off the ball at 325lbs and 6'5?

I'm pretty sure nobody in the NBA could become a world gymnast. They are all short.


Edit: I do agree with you regarding TE, WR and probably OLB. QB, S, CB.....yeah, I don't know about that.
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
if I could play bball or football, I play bball because the contracts are guaranteed and the endorsements are greater. It is a team sport but if you have a LeBron, Jordan or Shaq in his prime you will probably win the chip. One stud makes the world of difference in a 5 on 5 and this is why LeBron and Kobe have so much power today. Now you tell me if you put in D Wade or Michael Westbrook as a WR running a 4.3 with a 45" vertical weighing 220 lbs with impeccable footwork and stamina and I ask you who will contain them? Same for Lebron at TE running a 4.5 weighing 260 and at 6'8" with a 43" vertical and impeccable footwork and stamina and I ask you who defends him? LeBron only plays bball over football because it pays more and it is guaranteed with greater endorsements. Plus he can do it until he is 38yo. NBA athletes are superior but NFL football is superior to watch, BY FAR!!

I don't think that's fair to say. Everyone keeps using TE and WR as examples of a position guys like Kobe and LeBron could excel at. However, realize that football, unlike basketball, is a very specialized skill set specific to the position.

What if you put Lebron at running back? Why not line him up at the 1 or 3 technique on the Dline? How would he fair as an OT or inside LB? While we are at it, what could he do at safety or on the corner?

The fact is, basketball is a tall mans game. If your not tall, your out. But, that doesn't mean you're less than an athlete because you skill set isn't a "tall bean pole." Footballs great, because it takes so many talent players with many different body types. No way Kobe last five minutes in the trenches or lining up in the backfield as a fullback. You really think LeBron at 260lbs stands a chance against a guy like Justin Smith, Ngata or Watt? Dude would get collapsed. So you can't just say, basketball has better athletes.

Edit: Sorry I can't stop. What about some of these kids coming out of the combine running 4.6 or 4.7 weighing over 300lbs? Look at the number Poe put up this year. That is a huge, fast and scary man.

But what would Poe do in the NBA??. He would get his shot stuffed all day by D Wade and get gassed running on fumes up and down the court. NFLers can't do the NBA but there are plenty of NBAers that can do the NFL. Man we need to get this thread back on track!!
You are insane,lol. NBA guys are pussies compared to NFL guys. LeBron would be Lebroken the first time he tried to go across the middle and got lit up by a linebacker. I would pay lots of cash to see that happen...lots.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
But what would Poe do in the NBA??. He would get his shot stuffed all day by D Wade and get gassed running on fumes up and down the court. NFLers can't do the NBA but there are plenty of NBAers that can do the NFL. Man we need to get this thread back on track!!

So you think DWade could play Poe's position?

BTW, since your so quick to say how easy it is to transfer your skills to the NFL from the NBA, why not ask our British project about that? I mean, he's 6'7 and 305lb, it should be easy, right?
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 14,942
Originally posted by susweel:
Kobe will come back faster his work ethic is superior.

Kobe = Greatest Of All Time
Lebron could star in the NFL but why?? He will make more money than A Rod would ever dream of. There are plenty of positions LeBron could play in NFL and yes he can be better than Dick Sherman since they let you hold and grab arms and his footwork, speed and stamina is much greater. NBAers won't play in the trenches but they would rule on the edges but I continue to ask you people, where would an NFL player see the court in the NBA??? There is a reason MJ was MJ and no other NFL player will ever come close. A single player can't impact a major team sport like an NBA stud can. Now, back to Crabtree please!!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Lebron could star in the NFL but why?? He will make more money than A Rod would ever dream of. There are plenty of positions LeBron could play in NFL and yes he can be better than Dick Sherman since they let you hold and grab arms and his footwork, speed and stamina is much greater. NBAers won't play in the trenches but they would rule on the edges but I continue to ask you people, where would an NFL player see the court in the NBA??? There is a reason MJ was MJ and no other NFL player will ever come close. A single player can't impact a major team sport like an NBA stud can. Now, back to Crabtree please!!

Originally posted by sweetDwilly:

I wish Crabtree were a Lebron. We are talking about the jump balls to Jon Baldwin. Well how about a jump ball to LeBron with that physique speed wingspan vertical and the hands to palm a basketball? He would engulf a football. LOL!
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
Originally posted by susweel:
Kobe will come back faster his work ethic is superior.

Kobe = Greatest Of All Time



put the crack pipe down
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
Originally posted by susweel:
Kobe will come back faster his work ethic is superior.

Kobe = Greatest Of All Time



put the crack pipe down

Amen, these guys must be young to think Kobe is anywhere near the caliber of player MJ was in his prime or totally homererotic about the Lakers.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
Originally posted by susweel:
Kobe will come back faster his work ethic is superior.

Kobe = Greatest Of All Time



put the crack pipe down

Amen, these guys must be young to think Kobe is anywhere near the caliber of player MJ was in his prime or totally homererotic about the Lakers.

dont get me wrong, i think Kobe is second only to Jordan and im not even a lakers fan. Kobe is the man but Jordan is still the King. offense, defense, leadership, clutch and he made everyone around him better. winning a championship without a household name at center is pretty damn tough and jordan did it six times.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Basketball has more athletes that could cross over and excel in the NFL. Lebron could play anything in the NFL from TE, OLB, S, FS, CB, QB, WR. He would rule the NFL combine and he would go before Clowney. But why would he choose the NFL when the NBA is more lucrative with greater longevity. Now just what position would any NFL player play in the NBA?? The NBA takes much more size, skill and ability just to play any of the 5 spots on the floor. There is a physocal element to the NFL but once he takes a few hits, LBJ would rule the NFL. I would want him on the 49ers. And there are plenty others in the NBA that could do some of the same things. What could an NFL player do in the NBA? Natural selection bro

The only reason most NFL players couldn't play in the NBA is height. And LeBron James himself stated that he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.6 seconds. Nobody can "rule the NFL" with a 40 time of 4.6. He wouldn't even crack the Niner first string defense - too slow for any LB position and certainly couldn't run in the secondary. Impossible. He MIGHT be able to cut it as a TE, but Vance McDonald is the same speed, much bigger and much stronger. NFL players are in better shape, they have more discipline, they are lots faster and a lot stronger. The game they play is orders of magnitude more complicated. They are, on the average, much smarter athletes. If you were correct that basketball has more athletes who could play in the NFL, we would have seen that by now because only a small number make the big money. James would, at best, be a decent tight end. He's not fast enough to be one of the best tight ends. The lucrative aspect you keep repeating is irrelevant to the argument. Your argument that the NBA takes more skill and ability to play any of the five spots is arguable. How much skill does it take for a 7 foot tall person to dunk a basketball? I know a 65 year old man who can consistently make over 95 out of 100 free throw shots. I once saw him make 77 in a row. On the other hand, there are probably less than 32 athletes on the entire planet who can play quarterback for an NFL football team effectively at any given time. How many NBA basketball players have the speed, quickness and strength to cover the average #1 receiver on a given NFL offense? How many NBA starters could get open and catch a football with Richard Sherman guarding them? Is there any player in the NBA who could hold his ground with two NFL linemen trying to push him out of a play? Is there any athlete in the NBA who could go sideline to sideline as quickly as Patrick Willis or Navaro Bowman. How many NBA starters could assimilate a typical NFL playbook? How many plays does an NBA player need to prepare for? Come on. They draw up new ones on the floor in the middle of games sometimes. It's not even in the same universe as far as complexity. Basketball is a simple game by comparison. American football is the most complicated, complex and demanding team sport ever invented.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM ]