There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Ok, what the hell does having bowling lanes at his house have to do with him being a two sport athlete (LeBron) LOL.

Did you miss the part about him being an All-State WR?
Originally posted by Psinex:

No one gives a s**t about your GIFs
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
I don't expect Crabtree to be near 100% when he returns, but IF he is than everything changes. Our offense will be very loaded and Kaepernick would already have built a chemistry with some of the other guys.

When Crabtree and Manningham return, it will be interesting to see who gets wrong end of the stick. We can't cut Baldwin, can we? I think Moore would be a prime candidate to be let go of as we will go with Crabtree, Manningham, Boldin, Williams, Patton, and Baldwin. Next year our core will look something like this:

Most likely Moore. When we get to 6 WRs down the road, who knows how the depth chart will be. I guess for Baldwin it depends on whether he becomes a good target, especially in the red zone. I like how Patton seems to be building chemistry with Kaep too. Not too sure where Williams will end up as the season goes on.
Originally posted by kray28:
Kobe is an Eagles fan...there was actually some talk some while back of him playing TE for them. It wasn't serious, but Kobe is one of the NBA's toughest guys when it comes to playing with pain/injury. Many have speculated that he would have quite successful as an NFL TE or WR.

He's 6'6" and has varied his weight between 205 and 225....in NFL terms he's one of those big tall WRs that NFL teams love and he has elite WR speed....if you doubt this, you can watch how fast he is on the basketball court.

Crabs is no Kobe....for that reason alone, I expect him to be done for this season.

It's also quite possible that Crabs will never be the same again....that's an injury that very few athletics recover from. When he does recover, he'll be a step or two slower. An Achilles is also a terrible injury for receivers because so much of their effectiveness is based on their ability to cut, stop, and explode into their breaks. Those are movements which will be severely impacted by a damaged Achilles.

Make it stop. All of the doom-and-gloom amateur doctors on here need to give it a rest.

Ever heard of Demaryius Thomas? He just put up 1,434 yards and 10 TDs coming off an ACL tear.
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Most likely Moore. When we get to 6 WRs down the road, who knows how the depth chart will be. I guess for Baldwin it depends on whether he becomes a good target, especially in the red zone. I like how Patton seems to be building chemistry with Kaep too. Not too sure where Williams will end up as the season goes on.

I think the following will stick on the roster

Boldin
Williams
Moore
Patton
Baldwin

I expect Hall, Collie, Hawkins, whoever ends up at #6 to get cut when Manningham returns, and then when Crabtree returns, I expect them to cut someone somewhere else along the roster. I can't see them cutting any of the other WR's. Boldin obviously isn't going anywhere, nor is Patton, Moore is expected to contribute on special teams and he has terrific promise as a WR, Baldwin I don't see going anywhere as long as he improves, Williams will be returning punts and playing the role of a deep threat, I don't see how you cut any of those guys. Next season it's entirely possible that neither Williams nor Manningham will be on the roster and thus the 49ers will rely much more heavily on guys like Patton, Moore and Baldwin.

Imagining this for the postseason

1-Boldin
2-Crabtree
3-Patton(slot)
4-Manningham
5-Moore
6-Baldwin
7-Williams
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM ]
Glad to hear Crabtree is doing good on his rehab so far. Hope this progress continues.
Originally posted by Psinex:

No one gives a s**t about your GIFs

LMAO
Kobe is an Eagles fan...there was actually some talk some while back of him playing TE for them. It wasn't serious, but Kobe is one of the NBA's toughest guys when it comes to playing with pain/injury. Many have speculated that he would have quite successful as an NFL TE or WR.

He's 6'6" and has varied his weight between 205 and 225....in NFL terms he's one of those big tall WRs that NFL teams love and he has elite WR speed....if you doubt this, you can watch how fast he is on the basketball court.

At that size, WR, maybe. TE? No way.
Did you miss the part about him being an All-State WR?

No, I fully got that part but adding the bowling lanes was kind of just out there LOL.
If your evidence is based on something Barkley said, that's basically a concession of your point. Barkley talks a lot, but ends up saying very little of consequence. He certainly doesn't speak for every basketball player.

Playing in the NBA is very lucrative...especially compared to the NFL. Few NBA players have an incentive to go to the NFL. It pays worse, the injury risk is higher, contracts aren't guaranteed, and careers can be short.

Beyond that, there is no doubt in my mind that more than a few NBA players could play in the NFL and be extremely successful.

I agree with this, but your later list actually supports what I was saying. At least you found a basketball player who played baseball in the pros - Danny Ainge. But nobody on the list even comes close to the two major pro sport success of Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson or Brian Jordan. Almost all of the entries show that basketball players are often great all-around athletes - I wouldn't dispute that. IMO, it's a matter of degree and I just think the evidence shows that NFL athletes are the best of all pro athletes, that's all. My opinion is that NBA athletes are a close second, but they are very specialized compared to most NFL athletes.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
mother f**ker better be sleepin' in a hyperbaric chamber.
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:

Williams actually has been the 2nd best WR in camp but Patton obviously didn't practice until last week. I think we are just holding him out for precautionary reasons but it wouldn't surprise me if he starts over Moore.

Baldwin is very intriguing and seems like a project Harbaugh wants to work on. I think in his mind Baldwin will be our #2 WR from next season on along with Crabtree if we keep him.
And, kray28, using the criteria of your list, you could just as easily make one of a bunch of NFL athletes. For example, Joe Montana was an all-state basketball player and was offered a basketball scholarship to North Carolina State as a Junior in High School. We all know Kaepernick could probably throw in the high-nineties and the Cubs wanted to draft him for their farm system. Chris Johnson could absolutely be a force in track as a sprinter. Tom Brady was drafted as a catcher by the Montreal Expos. Lots of people believe Tony Romo could be a pro golfer if he wanted to. Julius Peppers played basket ball for North Carolina and Duke attempted to recruit him out of high school. Currently, I've read that Chad Ochocinco has a shot at being a pro soccer player.

Now, supporting the other perspective, how many NFL players could actually make it in the NBA? I'm going to say probably none. There are too few spots to begin with. Even Antonio Gates, who considered the NBA draft was thought to be too short. And, even though Gonzolez was real good at CAL, do you really think there would be a roster spot for him in the NBA? i don't.