Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Michael Crabtree Thread

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by cmix23:
No, Crabs is not a #1. He lacks top end speed. He's a true #2, in an ideal world.

He had 85 1100+ yards n 9 tds on a team that throw the ball 25-28 times a game n his numbers are a lot higher...put him on a team that throws it 40 times a game. Dude is a beast stop hatin

I'm not hating. Crabtree is the best receiver we've had since Owens. I just think his true position with our offense is of a #2 who goes across the middle and moves the chains.

Mayo under that logic Dwayne Bowe is a "true #2" because he is pretty much Crab's equal in speed.......Speed does not predicate if you're a #1 or a #2 and IMHO it means your more a #2(go route) kind of guy to compliment a #1 who is always dependable a la Hines Ward, Crabtree, Hakeem Nicks, Larry Fitz, etc.

Ideal worlds do not exist and in my "ideal world" I want someone like Crabtree as my #1 with a size/speed combo like Justin Hunter, Marcus Davis players like that in the upcoming draft that are 6'3"/6'4" and 220/230 and probably run a sub 4.5 ibs as my #2.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:21 AM ]
When we drafted Crabtree, I was thrilled at getting a # 1 wideout. Then was disappointed and doubted that Crabtree would ever work hard enough to be a true # 1.

Thanks for alleviating those doubts this season, Mike.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
No, Crabs is not a #1. He lacks top end speed. He's a true #2, in an ideal world.

Disagree.

He is arguably the best YAC WR in the league.

According to ESPN.com statistics, he has the 7th highest YAC out of all players in the league.

Take the RBs and hybrid players who line up in the backfield out of the discussion and he moves up to 5th.

Out of his 1,105 yards, 465 came after the catch. That's 42% of his total yardage.

The only player remaining with a higher percentage is Wes Welker, who leads the league in YAC. 46% of his yards come after the catch. However, he is really a slot receiver and I think he benefits from scheme rather than ability.

Crabtree might not look fast to you. He might not be a burner who takes the top off the defense with pure speed, but he is plenty fast and he has crazy natural athletic ability.

In any case, the numbers don't lie. His receptions, yardage, and touchdowns are all top 15 in the NFL. His production makes him a #1 by definition.

Oh... I should also mention that he's playing on a team that is is ranked 30th in the league in offensive plays from scrimmage and 31st in pass attempts.

with kaep starting from game 1 next year he'll be chasing Megatron's borrowed record. crabs and alex were never on the same page fully

This is hilarious! Wait, you were joking right?
Crabs had a great season, his YAC in the 2nd half of the season was unreal. Kaep and him have good chemistry.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/01/02/catch-this-crabtree-clark-share-same-stats/

Crabtree just finished the season with 85 catches for 1,105 yards and became the franchise's first 1,000-yard receiver in nine years.

In 1981, Clark had … 85 catches for … 1,105 yards and became the franchise's first 1,000-yard receiver in … 11 years

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/01/02/catch-this-crabtree-clark-share-same-stats/

Crabtree just finished the season with 85 catches for 1,105 yards and became the franchise's first 1,000-yard receiver in nine years.

In 1981, Clark had … 85 catches for … 1,105 yards and became the franchise's first 1,000-yard receiver in … 11 years

From the article:

"In NFL history, Clark and Crabtree are two of three players to have precisely 85 catches and 1,105 yards in a season. The other is Denver's Rod Smith, who put up those totals in 2005 (if you're wondering, the Broncos lost in the AFC Championship Game).

So what, exactly, does this Crabtree-Clark connection mean? Is it an omen?

Please. It means absolutely zippo. It's nothing more than a statistical oddity.

But if Crabtree has a legendary catch in the NFC Championship Game to send the 49ers to the Super Bowl against the Bengals, I'll guarantee this: San Francisco 26, Cincinnati 21."

That's a cool article. That would be cool, unlikely but really freaking cool.
I cannot wait for playoffs! It's going to suck when football is over, it'd be nice if there were more games ahead because watching Kaep and Crabtree connect is a thing of beauty. I hope they can get us to the Super Bowl and bring home a 6th Lombardi!!!

Wonder what next season will be like?
[ Edited by HouseNiner on Jan 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM ]

I'm glad Crabtree is getting some of the credit he deserves.

I've never understood why he was labeled by some as a diva in his first couple of years. I've always thought injury was a HUGE part of his first couple of years and only this year has he had an injury free year. Yes, he's a little different -- not many NFL players share his interest in fashion and he is most definitely awkward in front of the camera -- but I don't think you can doubt his passion on the field or desire to win (blocking, taking hits, etc).

One of the reasons why he has really "blossomed" the second half this season is his compatibility with Kaepernick. Kaepernick will throw to him even when he seems "more covered" which really accentuates Crabtree's good hands and wide catching radius. Also, Kaepernick's stronger arm has permitted Crabtree to catch a split second earlier (especially those flat and sideline routes) and thus be able to make his elusive moves earlier (explained by his increase in YAC this year).

Another interesting observation from an interview with Kaepernick a couple of weeks ago when he was asked what he thinks of Crabtree constantly asking to be thrown the ball -- "I like receivers that want the ball." I really do think Kaepernick likes that fact that Crabtree really is not scared to have a ball thrown his way (unlike Ted Ginn Jr, for example) and is constantly looking to make a play. It makes it that much easier for Kaepernick to pull the trigger on Crabtree. Which, on a side note, makes you wonder if Vernon Davis' small catching radius is one of the many reasons why he is not getting as many passes thrown his way.

Does anyone share my views on Crabtree's career so far?
Originally posted by TMIMITW:

I've never understood why he was labeled by some as a diva in his first couple of years. I've always thought injury was a HUGE part of his first couple of years and only this year has he had an injury free year. Yes, he's a little different -- not many NFL players share his interest in fashion and he is most definitely awkward in front of the camera -- but I don't think you can doubt his passion on the field or desire to win (blocking, taking hits, etc).

I think the diva thing comes from his holdout his rookie year. If not for that, there really isn't anything he's been diva about.
Originally posted by HouseNiner:

From the article:

"In NFL history, Clark and Crabtree are two of three players to have precisely 85 catches and 1,105 yards in a season. The other is Denver's Rod Smith, who put up those totals in 2005 (if you're wondering, the Broncos lost in the AFC Championship Game).

So what, exactly, does this Crabtree-Clark connection mean? Is it an omen?

Please. It means absolutely zippo. It's nothing more than a statistical oddity.

But if Crabtree has a legendary catch in the NFC Championship Game to send the 49ers to the Super Bowl against the Bengals, I'll guarantee this: San Francisco 26, Cincinnati 21."

That's a cool article. That would be cool, unlikely but really freaking cool.

I see this as a conspiracy theory. Crabtree became the first niners receiver in 9 years to beomce a 1,000yd WR, and Clark became the first after 11 years. If you put those two together it =9/11. This is clearly a slight on the Bush administration and proves 9/11 is a hoax.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by TMIMITW:

I think the diva thing comes from his holdout his rookie year. If not for that, there really isn't anything he's been diva about.

The whole deon, MC hammer thing was a turnoff. Since he has been a niner i never really thought he was a diva, i just had the impression that he was a bit lazy with his work ethic in the offseason.
diva livin

Crabtree's got a chip on his shoulder. He's ready to ball out.
Originally posted by verb1der:
diva livin

Deion Sanders round 2