LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Crabtree has the hands, speed, and RAC ability.

He is a #1 WR.
Originally posted by Joecool:

He is a #1 WR.

This season has shown he's not only a legit #1, but he's on the top half of #1 WR's in the game.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

He is a #1 WR.

This season has shown he's not only a legit #1, but he's on the top half of #1 WR's in the game.
Imagine Crabs and Kaep for a whole season!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
No, Crabs is not a #1. He lacks top end speed. He's a true #2, in an ideal world.
He's looking faster now than at the beginning of the year. Anyone know what his previous high in yardage was before today was? TIA
Double post
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 31, 2012 at 1:58 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
No, Crabs is not a #1. He lacks top end speed. He's a true #2, in an ideal world.

Disagree.

He is arguably the best YAC WR in the league.

According to ESPN.com statistics, he has the 7th highest YAC out of all players in the league.

Take the RBs and hybrid players who line up in the backfield out of the discussion and he moves up to 5th.

Out of his 1,105 yards, 465 came after the catch. That's 42% of his total yardage.

The only player remaining with a higher percentage is Wes Welker, who leads the league in YAC. 46% of his yards come after the catch. However, he is really a slot receiver and I think he benefits from scheme rather than ability.

Crabtree might not look fast to you. He might not be a burner who takes the top off the defense with pure speed, but he is plenty fast and he has crazy natural athletic ability.

In any case, the numbers don't lie. His receptions, yardage, and touchdowns are all top 15 in the NFL. His production makes him a #1 by definition.

Oh... I should also mention that he's playing on a team that is is ranked 30th in the league in offensive plays from scrimmage and 31st in pass attempts.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Disagree.

According to ESPN.com statistics, he has the 7th highest YAC out of all players in the league.

Take the RBs and hybrid players who line up in the backfield out of the discussion and he moves up to 5th.

Out of his 1,105 yards, 465 came after the catch. That's 42% of his total yardage.

The only player remaining with a higher percentage is Wes Welker, who leads the league in YAC. 46% of his yards come after the catch. However, he is really a slot receiver and I think he benefits from scheme rather than ability.

Crabtree might not look fast to you. He might not be a burner who takes the top off the defense with pure speed, but he is plenty fast and he has crazy natural athletic ability.

In any case, the numbers don't lie. His receptions, yardage, and touchdowns are all top 15 in the NFL. His production makes him a #1 by definition.

Oh... I should also mention that he's playing on a team that is is ranked 30th in the league in offensive plays from scrimmage and 31st in pass attempts.

with kaep starting from game 1 next year he'll be chasing Megatron's borrowed record. crabs and alex were never on the same page fully
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
I wish my Crabs jersey wasn't packed away with my household goods...on a boat somewhere on the Pacific Ocean
Which branch are you in?

Army saw fit to send me to South Korea. Really shouldn't complain, I'm in the big city--Seoul. Not a bad place really.

AND on the above stats regarding Crabs production--I'm pretty sure we attempted somewhere about 436 passes this year. Crazy low number, actually fewer than last year. He really carved himself a good piece of our total offensive output. That's stepping up.
[ Edited by ninermedic on Dec 31, 2012 at 2:54 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Disagree.

Good points. I still feel his perfect position on our team is of a possession reciever. Put, a speedy 6'3" guy opposite him and now we're rolling.

He had 85 1100+ yards n 9 tds on a team that throw the ball 25-28 times a game n his numbers are a lot higher...put him on a team that throws it 40 times a game. Dude is a beast stop hatin
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cmix23:

He had 85 1100+ yards n 9 tds on a team that throw the ball 25-28 times a game n his numbers are a lot higher...put him on a team that throws it 40 times a game. Dude is a beast stop hatin

I'm not hating. Crabtree is the best receiver we've had since Owens. I just think his true position with our offense is of a #2 who goes across the middle and moves the chains.
He might start drawing double coverage in the playoffs, one on one Vernon Davis or Delanie Walker time.

Disagree.

I'm not too concerned about an ideal world ... the Niners don't throw the ball a Gazillion time per game.
I'm sure the pass plays (attempts), have increased since the QB switch ... yet they are nowhere near
the league norm. How many times does Brady and his ilk toss it around per game?

In my world, his new Nickname is RAC-Tree, or YAC-Tree ... maybe I'll just shorten it to RAC, or YAC.
Not advocating, it just works for me

Kaep to RAC/YAC, has a nice ring to it ...
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Dec 31, 2012 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

He is a #1 WR.

Imagine Crabs and Kaep for a whole season!

He is definitely looking like the receiver we thought we were drafting. So glad to see this guy performing out there on the field. Gonna be rocking his jersey again in a couple weeks!
Share 49ersWebzone