LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Crabtree shoved him in the face. Fitzgerald did not. What is confusing about that?

I think we're just not going to see eye to eye on this one. No big deal. I guess I just think the divide between the two began before that, and that the NFC Championship game wasn't the cause of Sherman's distaste for the guy.
This whole "he wanted to fight me at a BBQ" story is nonsense. For one, the only source for this story is Dick Sherman's brother (hardly an objective source). Two, you're a grown ass man dog. If Crabs wanting to lay hands on you was that big of an issue, why didn't you solve it right then and there?

Or was this another situation like when Trent Williams smacked flames out of him.....he was *just* about to bust a move before people jumped in between them. Wouldn't you know it?

Not to say that Crabtree is an angel, but I've never before Dick Sherman heard his name brought up for talking too much trash or walking around and punching people. Sounds to me like someone wanted to be friends, got told to kick rocks (or something), and then got all in his feelings about it (as he does with most things).

Sherman is a great player, but as a person I just can't take him seriously.
[ Edited by baltien on Jul 12, 2014 at 6:06 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I find Sherman's constant running of the mouth repulsive. His continuous on-the-field taunting of opposition players entirely unacceptable.

His actions stand as clear violations of the nearly universally accepted concept of sportsmanship.

Even when Dion Sanders was a 49er I could not stand his arrogance; Sherman makes Dion look like a saint.

totally agree.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
This whole "he wanted to fight me at a BBQ" story is nonsense. For one, the only source for this story is Dick Sherman's brother (hardly an objective source). Two, you're a grown ass man dog. If Crabs wanting to lay hands on you was that big of an issue, why didn't you solve it right then and there?

Or was this another situation like when Trent Williams smacked flames out of him.....he was *just* about to bust a move before people jumped in between them. Wouldn't you know it?

Not to say that Crabtree is an angel, but I've never before Dick Sherman heard his name brought up for talking too much trash or walking around and punching people. Sounds to me like someone wanted to be friends, got told to kick rocks (or something), and then got all in his feelings about it (as he does with most things).

I wouldn't be surprised that he'll be the focus of some o lineman blindside block on a run play, just to shut his mouth off.

I remember when this story came out, I heard a report that it was sherm that started the fight. So ar the very minimum it sounds like a he said, he said scenerio. However, part of me thinks this is more made up Seattle b******t, like the whole Harbaugh honking at the team bus thing in 2012. Sherm is a very good corner (not the best, but very good), but he is a very fake poser-like wannabe tough guy that just runs his mouth.
We definitely need to resign Crabtree now to see him and Sherman go at it twice a year for many years to come

I totally agree with this whole post. I just took what his bro said at face value but he could have twisted it as you've suggested. I agree that if a dude just up and wanted to fight me that battle would have been fought then and there and respects could have been exchanged that day and right now we might not be seeing all these pent up emotions. Dudes would probably be cool or at least civil by now. Sounds to me that Sherm avoided conflict that day only to fight his battles on the field and in the media. I guess this works for him but it sure seems that he is still carrying a burden in his heart from that day. I am no psychologist but I have my opinion as to what is going on here based off what I have seen and what I have heard reported. Niner or Seahawk I just hope these guys get more settled because all jokes aside I see some troubling signs and behaviors beginning to emerge. This is getting to be mind boggling and indecipherable

Lol yeah come on now. That whole story is obviously b******t. Do people really believe Dick Sherman's brother or Dick Sherman himself for that matter? If anything, the reverse of that story is true. Maybe Sherman wanted to fight Crabtree, but I do not see Crabtree going up to Sherman and wanting to fight him. Crabtree isn't like that. Sherman meanwhile is the one with constant anger outbursts, insecurity issues, and a guy who seems to be extremely jealous of the success of others.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Lol yeah come on now. That whole story is obviously b******t. Do people really believe Dick Sherman's brother or Dick Sherman himself for that matter? If anything, the reverse of that story is true. Maybe Sherman wanted to fight Crabtree, but I do not see Crabtree going up to Sherman and wanting to fight him. Crabtree isn't like that. Sherman meanwhile is the one with constant anger outbursts, insecurity issues, and a guy who seems to be extremely jealous of the success of others.

Exactly my point. At a point in time when nobody outside Seattle even knew who Richard Sherman was, Michael Crabtree, just out if nowhere walked up to him and decided to pick a fight? And why exactly would he do that?

Was he jealous of Richard Sherman's faux alpha-type personality? Wanted to know where he gets his locks twisted? Maybe Crabs felt threatened by Sherman's quiet confidence?

Until someone not related to Nerd Sherman comes forward to confirm this story, I'm gonna go ahead and file this one under "Negro please."
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Exactly my point. At a point in time when nobody outside Seattle even knew who Richard Sherman was, Michael Crabtree, just out if nowhere walked up to him and decided to pick a fight? And why exactly would he do that?

Was he jealous of Richard Sherman's faux alpha-type personality? Wanted to know where he gets his locks twisted? Maybe Crabs felt threatened by Sherman's quiet confidence?

Until someone not related to Nerd Sherman comes forward to confirm this story, I'm gonna go ahead and file this one under "Negro please."

I'm gonna just ask Kyle Williams

• thl408
I'm not believing this near BBQ fight story either, being that is was from Sherman's brother. I'll go off what I actually see and that's two guys that like to jaw on the field. Sherman takes it overboard, and because he currently has the upper hand (winning ncfccg/sb), it's easy for him to drag it farther than it needs to go. Had the 49ers won that game, Sherman isn't making any of this noise. He's a sore winner due to his insecurity.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
we need to tag him, then let him go for a 1st and 3rd....

Thats a risky game you are playing.
1. We aren't going to get a comp 1st for Crabs
2. Or you were talking about trading him, in which case wouldn't happen. Why would a team throw away a 1st/3rd rounder when they can wait until FA and have a shot at signing him?

Franchise tags are for franchise players.
Crabs isn't a franchise WR

Why would a team "throw away" a first and third.....???

Because they wouldn't have to risk losing him to another team and a deal could be negociated in that teams favor instead of getting into a bidding war...

We could tag him as a transitional player and still trade him away and recievce high a high pick or picks for him...

It's been proven over and over that teams will overpay for players in free agency, to the right team(s) Crabtree would be well worth paying for with a trans tag...

This makes a lot of sense in theory. But how often do teams actually make that move? I honestly can't recall the last time another team tried to sign a tagged player.
The contracts for Calvin, Fitz, Marshall, A. Johnson, and Wallace make it prohibitively expensive to use the franchise tag on a WR (unless its AJ Green or Julio Jones). If I understand correctly, the tag is the average of the top 5 guys, totally guaranteed and all counting against the cap.

Save the tag for Vernon!!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
The contracts for Calvin, Fitz, Marshall, A. Johnson, and Wallace make it prohibitively expensive to use the franchise tag on a WR (unless its AJ Green or Julio Jones). If I understand correctly, the tag is the average of the top 5 guys, totally guaranteed and all counting against the cap.

Tag Crab in 2015 VD in 2016
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Tag Crab in 2015 VD in 2016

In 2015, we're going to be spending big $$ on Kaep, I don't know if we'll be able to afford the tag for Crabtree, but we'll see...
Share 49ersWebzone