LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Why wouldn't we tag him??? Seems like our best option...

And pay him over 12 million? Hell no!!!!!

we need to tag him, then let him go for a 1st and 3rd....

Thats a risky game you are playing.
1. We aren't going to get a comp 1st for Crabs
2. Or you were talking about trading him, in which case wouldn't happen. Why would a team throw away a 1st/3rd rounder when they can wait until FA and have a shot at signing him?

Franchise tags are for franchise players.
Crabs isn't a franchise WR
Why wouldn't we tag him??? Seems like our best option...

Baalke is not dumb, thats why.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I would hate to see Crabtree go. If he does, I can see a team like the Texans jumping all over him.

I have high hopes that he's not the same kid that entered the NFL and he doesn't expect to get top WR money.
Crabtree hasn't even spoke so thinking he wants top dollar is a stupid assumption just because of his rookie year
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Thats a risky game you are playing.
1. We aren't going to get a comp 1st for Crabs
2. Or you were talking about trading him, in which case wouldn't happen. Why would a team throw away a 1st/3rd rounder when they can wait until FA and have a shot at signing him?

Franchise tags are for franchise players.

Why would a team "throw away" a first and third.....???

Because they wouldn't have to risk losing him to another team and a deal could be negociated in that teams favor instead of getting into a bidding war...

We could tag him as a transitional player and still trade him away and recievce high a high pick or picks for him...

It's been proven over and over that teams will overpay for players in free agency, to the right team(s) Crabtree would be well worth paying for with a trans tag...
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Crabtree hasn't even spoke so thinking he wants top dollar is a stupid assumption just because of his rookie year

True
Why would a team "throw away" a first and third.....???

Because they wouldn't have to risk losing him to another team and a deal could be negociated in that teams favor instead of getting into a bidding war...

We could tag him as a transitional player and still trade him away and recievce high a high pick or picks for him...

It's been proven over and over that teams will overpay for players in free agency, to the right team(s) Crabtree would be well worth paying for with a trans tag...

Trading for a player with 1 year left on his contract is a gamble.
If they fail to re-sign him, they "throw them away"

I think Kaepernick would disagree.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Crab is a damn good WR. He isn't at the elite of level of Megatron or anything like that, but if you put him in a more pass-friendly offense he'd have 100 catches, 1300 yards easily. We hardly throw the ball and he put up 85 catches, 1100 yards in 2012

If you believe in his potential then yes, if you believe in what he has actually done than no.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Crabs back. But part of me thinks Baalke will throw him a 1-2year/5-6 guaranteed per year with bonuses similar to Kaeps contract, and Crabs won't take it.

I would rather have 2 5 million per year dollar WRs than Crabs at 10 million.
But who knows, I'm no Trent Baalke
If you believe in his potential then yes, if you believe in what he has actually done than no.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Crabs back. But part of me thinks Baalke will throw him a 1-2year/5-6 guaranteed per year with bonuses similar to Kaeps contract, and Crabs won't take it.

I would rather have 2 5 million per year dollar WRs than Crabs at 10 million.
But who knows, I'm no Trent Baalke

Baalke will offer Crabtree at least a four year deal. Crabtree will test free agency and then it is 50/50. Kap might be able to talk him into staying

I tend to think the market would disagree as well.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Brandon Marshall set the market with his extension. 4-year, $40 mil from the Bears. Marshall has a long history of consistent production, far more than Crabtree. I can see the 49ers offering Crab $7-8 mil per year. If he wants $10 mil per, he'll likely have to get it in FA.

I don't see why Trent couldn't offer him something like $7-$8 per year with incentives up to $10. Like he has to put up top 5 type numbers. Basically a contract that is for the value that Baalke says Crabs is worth but, has the ability to increase to the range of what Crabs thinks he's worth based off performance. That's basically what he did with Kaep, and I think it's fair for both sides.
You got some mad squables but could you please play a hole season again.
Share 49ersWebzone