There are 179 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
yup iupati will probably walk because we drafted some high quality linemen this year to replace him with and we'll get an extra third for sure. i dont know if they want to pay crabs but id rather we keep him over iupati if we can only keep one

Some guys just have chemistry together and they make each other better. We haven't drafted a WR like Crabtree since TO. We need to keep him if possible

Stevie johnson may have been crabtrees replacement.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Stevie johnson may have been crabtrees replacement.

I think so too.

Next year we will have AQ and Stevie J under contract.

The year after we will have Stevie J and Patton/Ellington.
Lol Johnson is not a Crabtree replacement. I don't see Crabs going anyplace. We will pay him
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I think so too.

This is NOT an upgrade over now. It ain't even standing pat. We are trying to win Super Bowls. There will be WRs hitting free agency this summer. We either sign Crabtree or one of those guys or we hit on one in the draft. I still don't see how we can lose crab and Boldin and think it's OK
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I think so too.

This is NOT an upgrade over now. It ain't even standing pat. We are trying to win Super Bowls. There will be WRs hitting free agency this summer. We either sign Crabtree or one of those guys or we hit on one in the draft. I still don't see how we can lose crab and Boldin and think it's OK

This. Your 2015 scenario may be realistic but there is simply no way that we go into 2016 with Stevie, Patton, and Ellington as our top 3. We may let Crabtree walk but you bet your a** that if we do, we push for another great WR on FA/trade or fully commit to a TBD prospect in the draft to the long term answer.

It is incredibly telling that we gave a Kilgore a modest extension and drafted the near consensus best center of the draft that can also play Guard, and drafted one of the top 5 Guard prospects from the same class that will be redshirted for recovery.

Sure seems like they are banking more on either 1 of Boone or Iupati leaving for more money. I expect them to fill the trenches via the draft and keep in-house talent at skill positions because of already existing and improving chemistry and bring into quality veterans that can step in simply based off of their skill (Moss, Boldin, Johnson).
  • Taco
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Lol Johnson is not a Crabtree replacement. I don't see Crabs going anyplace. We will pay him

dunno about that crab may be looking to cash in during fa. Stevie also has 3 consecutive 1000 yard receiving seasons under his belt to crabs one. crab has the better hands but stevie has more production.
Baalke is going to come a Crabs with a very short-term contract and high incentives to allow him to prove himself.
I honestly think we offer him a 1-2 year deal with 10 guaranteed and it can go up to 8mil a year.

Anything over 7mil a year guaranteed, or anything that resembled Marshall type money is just stupid.

If Crabs leaves, fine by me. Let him get injured for some other team, I'll watch Stevie Johnson burn Sherman all day long.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jun 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM ]
I think so too.

I never said it was an upgrade, i was just refering to the guys we have under contract for the coming years.

If crab wants unrealistic money he will be gone. Not happy about it but thats how it goes
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere but just for comparison sake, what other big names WRs are free agents after this season? Maybe the market won't be as big as we think it is?
Maybe w/ the salary cap increasing we can afford paying him what he wants?
I think so too.

I never said it was an upgrade, i was just refering to the guys we have under contract for the coming years.

If crab wants unrealistic money he will be gone. Not happy about it but thats how it goes
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere but just for comparison sake, what other big names WRs are free agents after this season? Maybe the market won't be as big as we think it is?
Maybe w/ the salary cap increasing we can afford paying him what he wants?

A few names from the top of my head:

Michael Crabtree
Dez Bryant
Dermaryius Thomas
Hakeem Nicks
Jordy Nelson
Jeremy Maclin
Roddy White
Wes Welker
Torrey Smith
Randall Cobb
[ Edited by DeUh on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:55 AM ]

• Jcool
  • Veteran
It hardly ever works out for a team giving big money for a WR. Seattle might of won a Superbowl but it had almost nothing to do with Percy Harvin who was hurt most of the year. Mike Wallace just had his worse season last year after signing for 60M. Greg Jennings got 45M to have 804 yards and 4 TDs in Minnesota. Dwayne Bowe got 56M for 673 yards and 5 TDs (Jamaal Charles had 11 more receptions). Vincent Jackson has put up 2608 yards and 15 TDs in two years in Tampa but they are also 11-21 over that time. I think the smart teams know there are better ways to spend that money.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Cool stats I saw today.

Crabtree has played a total of 18 games with Kaepernick as the starter since Colin took over as the starter in 2012. In those games he has caught 95 passes for 1,367 yards and 9 touchdowns.

source: ninersnation.com

For comparison Demaryius Thomas and Peyton Mannings first 18 games together: Thomas caught 102 passes for 1,632 Yards and 13 touchdowns.

Both are set to be free agents next year.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jun 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM ]
Very cool. It's also worth noting that Denver hasn't had the run game that we have plus Manning has been doing this his whole career whereas Kaep is kind of learning a new offense.
I believe Dez, Crab, and Demaryius are all in the same realm, above average borderline Elite.

Elite: Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitz
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
I believe Dez, Crab, and Demaryius are all in the same realm, above average borderline Elite.

Elite: Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitz

At this point Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas > Larry Fitzgerald.
Share 49ersWebzone