There are 241 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Finally, looking like the guy we were expecting form the draft. Burst, hands, acceleration and separation; the second effort. It all came together. Might have a lot to do with him being 100% for the first time since we drafted him, but also markedly better connection with Alex. Hopefully, with such a performance, defenses will have to take a bit of the heat off Vernon, and he can get involved more as well. Once , or if, Jenkins gets acclimated, if he's as advertised, this could be something special.

He's had great acceleration after the catch this year. Personally, if he has straight ahead room after the catch, I don't think anyone catches him.

You may be right, but I'm not so sure. Yes, he looks faster than he ever has with the 9'ers, but he wasn't a burner in college, at least not by "elite" standards and there's no reason to believe he'd out run the faster DB's, unless of course, he had a full head of steam and catches the ball in stride a few steps ahead of the defender. I'd love to see that happen, but that means Alex has to place it just so, to give him (and the other receivers) that chance. As good as Smith is playing, he still lacks consistency in that area. And please, I'm not hating, just being realistic. Nor am I turning this into a Smith thread, so let's not debate the point. If Crabtree gets the ball in full stride, and can accelerate a bit more from that, oh wouldn't that be a thing of beauty?!
Finally, looking like the guy we were expecting form the draft. Burst, hands, acceleration and separation; the second effort. It all came together. Might have a lot to do with him being 100% for the first time since we drafted him, but also markedly better connection with Alex. Hopefully, with such a performance, defenses will have to take a bit of the heat off Vernon, and he can get involved more as well. Once , or if, Jenkins gets acclimated, if he's as advertised, this could be something special.

He's had great acceleration after the catch this year. Personally, if he has straight ahead room after the catch, I don't think anyone catches him.

You may be right, but I'm not so sure. Yes, he looks faster than he ever has with the 9'ers, but he wasn't a burner in college, at least not by "elite" standards and there's no reason to believe he'd out run the faster DB's, unless of course, he had a full head of steam and catches the ball in stride a few steps ahead of the defender. I'd love to see that happen, but that means Alex has to place it just so, to give him (and the other receivers) that chance. As good as Smith is playing, he still lacks consistency in that area. And please, I'm not hating, just being realistic. Nor am I turning this into a Smith thread, so let's not debate the point. If Crabtree gets the ball in full stride, and can accelerate a bit more from that, oh wouldn't that be a thing of beauty?!

he had more than 70 yrds and 2 tds what else do u want ?
Originally posted by fly15:

I think Crabtree is easily a 1200 yard receiver.
i think he breaks a long one at some point this season
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

yeaaaaaaaaah boy let's do this every week
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i think he breaks a long one at some point this season

s**t the way Moss lit that guy up on that 30 yarder if Crabs hadn't have been shoestringed that as a TD.

You misunderstand me. I was in no way criticizing Crabs. Just making the point, apparently not that well, that he has never been known as a speed burner. Great acceleration yes, but not elite top end speed; good but not great. It was in response to Joecool's statement about no one catching him from behind.I'm ecstatic that he's finally at 100% and showing why he was so highly rated, and highly drafted! Now, if the chemistry continues, and grows, with Alex, the sky's the limit.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

You misunderstand me. I was in no way criticizing Crabs. Just making the point, apparently not that well, that he has never been known as a speed burner. Great acceleration yes, but not elite top end speed; good but not great. It was in response to Joecool's statement about no one catching him from behind.I'm ecstatic that he's finally at 100% and showing why he was so highly rated, and highly drafted! Now, if the chemistry continues, and grows, with Alex, the sky's the limit.

I somewhat understood that as well. Their chemistry especially against Chicago and the Rams D will be very key, the Bears are the 2012 version of our D from last season, ball hawking like crazy and the Rams we will have to deal with Finnegan's crazy a** guarding Crabs. If they keep this going against them we will be very happy fans.

The one thing that makes me excited for the possibility of Kaepernick taking over in the next year or two is the velocity that he puts on throws. Imagine if Kaepernick can get the ball to Crabtree that little bit quicker to Crabtree. IMHO that would mean more YAC for Crabs as the ball would get there just a smidgen quicker then Alex's throws do.

That being said I know that is a stretch but it is just something I've thought about.

Crabtree's growth this season will be the true indication of what to expect from him for the rest of his career. Last season his hands were incredible, now this season he finally has the healthy foot to compliment those hands.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM ]
Say what you want but Crabtree was looking like our modern day Jerry Rice. Looked spectacular. This guy is definitely proving that he is no bust.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Say what you want but Crabtree was looking like our modern day Jerry Rice. Looked spectacular. This guy is definitely proving that he is no bust.

It looks kinda like the offense as a whole is getting better bit by bit.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It looks kinda like the offense as a whole is getting better bit by bit.

got that right. They look a lil scary.
That was a nice statement game for Crabtree. Opponents will perhaps have to consider sending some extra attention his way. We have been praying for such a WR, and now, we seem to have two (Moss) that teams have to consider keeping extra attention on.. plus VD, obviously.

Not trying to get too excited... but this was what I was hoping for from the 2nd half of our season. ( that our offense would continue to evolve and improve )

If it truly has? We could be steamrolling our way through the playoffs.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
That was a nice statement game for Crabtree. Opponents will perhaps have to consider sending some extra attention his way. We have been praying for such a WR, and now, we seem to have two (Moss) that teams have to consider keeping extra attention on.. plus VD, obviously.

Not trying to get too excited... but this was what I was hoping for from the 2nd half of our season. ( that our offense would continue to evolve and improve )

If it truly has? We could be steamrolling our way through the playoffs.

Consistency is key and that's something we haven't had on offense yet. Hope this is the start of something special, but I've learned not to get too excited too soon.
I just want to see it consistently and against some of the better teams in the NFL..