LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The question about his future may be answered in the upcoming draft...if Baalke grabs a couple good WR's, that could be the handwriting on the wall. Kap re-signing is #1...MC will be #2 unless his agent pulls a stunt that Baalke won't tolerate.

I agree. This season will be big. If Patton and a draft pick emerge as potential starters, Baalke will be a lot harder negotiator. It may be a moot point already. Baalke may have already set a value for what he sees as a possession receiver that simply will not add up to what Crabtree might get from another team.
Originally posted by crake49:
I'll be surprised if they find a way to keep him after this year. He just seems like he'll bolt for the best paycheck to me. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm glad this draft is heavy with receivers.

Yeah I'm almost sure he's not going to resign with us. I can see him becoming a Cowboy actually...Crabs & Dez...sounds like a Jerry Jones combo to me!
Right...MC does seem to like Dallas. Could be one of the reasons they signed Boldin for 2 yrs, too. I'd be stoked w/Matthews, Moncrief or Adams...and maybe a Herron.
Man I wish I had crystal balls like some of you guys.
Crabtree when healthy is so much more than a possession WR. He is a playmaker a YAC machine a third down converter and a tremendous blocker! Now he isn't the speedster but he lacks nothing else! I am 50/50 whether we can keep him
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Crabtree when healthy is so much more than a possession WR. He is a playmaker a YAC machine a third down converter and a tremendous blocker! Now he isn't the speedster but he lacks nothing else! I am 50/50 whether we can keep him

This. People think because he doesn't have blazing speed and has great hands that he's just a possession receiver. He's one of the best all around skilled receivers in the NFL. 2012 was just the tip of the iceberg of what he can and will do.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

This. People think because he doesn't have blazing speed and has great hands that he's just a possession receiver. He's one of the best all around skilled receivers in the NFL. 2012 was just the tip of the iceberg of what he can and will do.

Don't think anyone will argue that, the question is will you pay top 10 money for it? I don't think Baalke will.
Originally posted by verb1der:

Don't think anyone will argue that, the question is will you pay top 10 money for it? I don't think Baalke will.

If he is a top ten receiver why wouldn't he?

He definitely should. We finally get a young #1 WR they need to keep him. We all know how hard its been too find a receiver like him. WR'S aren't a plug and play position.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Man I wish I had crystal balls like some of you guys.

You mean a crystal ball like some of the guys or you actually wish you had crystal balls ? That would be dope !

dashon goldson was a top 10 safety when he became a free agent, he didnt pay him. mike iupati is a top 10 guard and most fans and analysts can see he likely already has 1 foot out the door and this will be his last season with the team.
Originally posted by crabman82:

dashon goldson was a top 10 safety when he became a free agent, he didnt pay him. mike iupati is a top 10 guard and most fans and analysts can see he likely already has 1 foot out the door and this will be his last season with the team.

Neither of those positions are as hard to replace as receiver is why. Iupati needs to step up his play, he is a pretty terrible pass blocker.

Neither of those positions are as hard to replace as receiver is why. Iupati needs to step up his play, he is a pretty terrible pass blocker.

the point is there is a track record of having a top 10 caliber player and letting him walk and replacing with either a cheaper FA option or a guy you've already drafted or are about to draft. you asked why baalke wouldnt pay him and i gave you good examples.
the point is there is a track record of having a top 10 caliber player and letting him walk and replacing with either a cheaper FA option or a guy you've already drafted or are about to draft. you asked why baalke wouldnt pay him and i gave you good examples.

you might be right but I think we've budgeted to keep them all whether they accept the price we've budgeted is what will matter in the end
  • Disp
  • Veteran
There's no way you can call Crabtree a top 10 WR at this point. In his single season over 1000 yards, he had the 14'th highest total in the league. Sure we don't pass the ball as much as a lot of those other teams, but in this offense I don't see how you could justify giving him that kind of dough. I don't think our passing game struggled so much because we didn't have Crabtree. I think it moreso struggled because because we had Kyle Williams and Jon Baldwin opposite Boldin. We probably would've been just fine if Manningham or Patton were healthy last year and able to contribute 600-800 yards.
Share 49ersWebzone