LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 402 users in the forums

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-O-line-turning-into-strength-of-th?blockID=784431&feedID=5936

Each of the 49ers' five starting offensive linemen is improved over a year ago and ranks in the top four at their respective positions in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus' rating system that takes into account pass protection, screen blocking, run blocking and penalties.

Right guard Alex Boone and right tackle Anthony Davis are second at their respective positions. Boone ranks ahead of Mike Iupati as a guard and behind only Baltimore's Marshal Yanda as the top guard in the NFL. Iupati is the highest-rated left guard in the league. Left tackle Joe Staley and center Jonathan Goodwin both rank fourth at their spots.

Wow, that's impressive, but if this is true then why is our offense so mediocre? We have a great o-line, good receivers, good RBs, a great TE, and great offensive coaches. What's the problem?
Have my doubts about Goodwin's rank but result for Boone and Iupati.
Best run-blocking group in the league, I am sure.

If we are to applaud these OL for their "pass pro improvement".. which at times is fair... we should also make clear note that they have been greatly assisted by their QB.. who generally makes very quick throws after reading defenses. Those quick throws have helped our big boys a bunch... because when those quick throws don't come out? They generally fail to give more than 3 seconds.

It's a good start for sure. If we can teach our interior OL to zone block more efficiently.. and give Staley some help at times when facing the better pass rushers.. this OL can help take us to ring # 6... and THAT.. was my biggest concern heading into the season.
this has to be a lie...i was swayed on this board in thinking that our OL is average and is a work in progress
Only buy it in regards to run blocking!

Pass protection I still go with the 29th ranking. How can an OT give up 4.5 sacks through 4 games (sack/fumble too) plus countless other hits, pressures, etc. and be ranked that high? We gave up 14 sacks through 4 games last year...12 here.

And like oldman9er noted, Alex himself has got out of many other sacks (e.g. Staley COULD have around 9 sacks by himself), we pass under three seconds, we wear down the DL with the running game, etc.

When you consider we throw the fewest times in the NFL while employing a three-second passing offense and STILL give up 12 sacks coupled with all the hits/pressures/FF's on top of that? Well, that's just scary! We still have a ways to go before Alex/HaRoman start throwing/calling those deep packages.

IMHO, the inconsistency of the pass protection is THE single greatest reason we have employed this 3-second offense AND why we have not installed any deep packages to date.

BTW: Some of this poor pass protection is on VD, Gore and Hunter as well...L.Davis, Tuk, etc. Collectively, this is a poor group.

PS: oldman9er also pointed out the zone-blocking scheme and how many mental errors the G's are making allowing DL to come in right up the middle completely unblocked.

I firmly agree with the original analysis of #1 in run blocking and 29th in pass protection, hands down.

Side note: I want to give Boone his props! The dude has more than exceeded my expectations in the ground game and he isn't getting pushed back in pass protection like I feared, causing pulls from Iupati to fail, tripping Alex and RB's and destroying a clean step-up areas for Alex, etc. He is not only standing his ground, he's ensuring pushing his guy down field and he is getting better and blocking down field as well. Still lots of "mental" errors in pass protection but he and AD together, are kicking ass in the ground game! He is even being used to pull more to the left side (ala Iupati to the right). Nice!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
But but I thought our Oline is teh suxxors because they give up a lot of sacks.
Everyone who stated that our OL was the thing holding this offense back should take a look at the actual numbers linked in the article
Good find. Keep up the good work O-line.
I was relieved to read up about Staley and the explanation of his play.

The way the team has put Alex Smith in a position to succeed and the rise of Boone are f**king awesome.

Boone is my favorite of our linemen, he is a super beast.
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Wow, that's impressive, but if this is true then why is our offense so mediocre? We have a great o-line, good receivers, good RBs, a great TE, and great offensive coaches. What's the problem?

The problem is Alex and our WRs not connecting. Our running game has been unbelievable, and our pass protection has been good enough. These guys need to get it done.

Gameplan and chemistry with new WR's. Also I wouldn't consider our offensive performance against the Jets as mediocre since we ran all over them. The only game with issues was Minn.
Glad to see the improvement, Boone is the biggest beast at G in this league. Feel comfortable if we had to swing him out at Tackle if Staley went down. And is it just me, or does it seem like sack totals as teams are generally high to start the season, ive seen several games like AZ's last two and others where the QB was sacked over 5 times, Rodgers 8 times in one half!!

I think our division in general all drafted and have some new BEast pass rushers with Long/Quinn, Clemens/Irving and Cowboy/Aldon, cant name AZ's pass rushers at the moment Campbell maybe but they have a stingy front too. Ours is still tops in the NFL much less the division getting backed up by our LB's and ever improved secondary.

Fixed.
[ Edited by PatrickWillis52 on Oct 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone