LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

All is well in DVOALand (except for pass-blocking, apparently)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well, Footballoutsiders.com is now eating crow, citing the 49ers' 'unexpected lack of decline'. We basically need to improve pass-blocking, that's it.

Through 4 weeks, we are now 2nd in total team efficiency (DVOA) at FootballOutsiders.com, #1 in non-strength of schedule adjusted team efficiency (VOA). 5th in Offense, 4th on Defense, 21st on Special Teams. Defense - 7th vs. the Pass, 2nd vs the run. Offense - 16th in passing, 1st in rushing...nobody's really close in rushing. Special Teams - 3rd in starting field position (close to #1 - not a lot of separation), 8th in opponent starting field position.

More:

- #1 in Run-blocking, but 31st in pass protection. extremely well-balanced in the run game (between guards, off tackle, etc.)

- 8th in D-line Pass Rush

- Running Backs: Gore is the 4th best running back overall. * Kendall Hunter is even better on a per play basis (Ray Rice-level numbers). Kendall Hunter has more DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) than Jamaal Charles! ** It may be time to up his carries.

- WRs: Manningham 34th, Crabtree 55th, Moss would be 29th if he had more opportunities. KW is under-performing. Manningham is catching 83% of passes thrown his way.

- TEs: Davis 6th, Walker 38th. Walker produces 70% less than the average receiver in his situation, and has the lowest catch % of any qualifying TE in the NFL.

-QB Alex Smith: 14th, better than Aaron Rodgers (!) and worse than Carson Palmer. 8th in "QBR", which is great. *** something to note is that Alex is doing pretty good for the poor pass protection we've gotten so far...I don't know how many are 'on him'. Smith is the 11th best rushing QB, while Kaepernick is #1 by a mile on a per rush basis.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-4-dvoa-ratings
Originally posted by nickbradley:

- Running Backs: Gore is the 4th best running back overall. * Kendall Hunter is even better on a per play basis (Ray Rice-level numbers). Kendall Hunter has more DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) than Jamaal Charles! ** It may be time to up his carries.

I KNEW Hunter was going to eventually be our Ray Rice!!

good stuff
Originally posted by verb1der:
I KNEW Hunter was going to eventually be our Ray Rice!!

good stuff

Well I didn't say that. What I am saying is that his per-play performance, adjusted for our opponents, is about the same.

** Also, Hunter is a better pass-catcher than gore by a considerable amount. He needs more carries!
That is quite a change on the special teams issue. Hopefully with Ginn back it will play itself out and our special teams performance will improve. Nice for passing to improve as well. Sounds like significant improvement on the oline. Over all good report.
Well, Footballoutsiders.com is now eating crow, citing the 49ers' 'unexpected lack of decline'. We basically need to improve pass-blocking, that's it.

Through 4 weeks, we are now 2nd in total team efficiency (DVOA) at FootballOutsiders.com, #1 in non-strength of schedule adjusted team efficiency (VOA). 5th in Offense, 4th on Defense, 21st on Special Teams. Defense - 7th vs. the Pass, 2nd vs the run. Offense - 16th in passing, 1st in rushing...nobody's really close in rushing. Special Teams - 3rd in starting field position (close to #1 - not a lot of separation), 8th in opponent starting field position.

More:

- #1 in Run-blocking, but 31st in pass protection. extremely well-balanced in the run game (between guards, off tackle, etc.)

- 8th in D-line Pass Rush

- WRs: Manningham 34th, Crabtree 55th, Moss would be 29th if he had more opportunities. KW is under-performing. Manningham is catching 83% of passes thrown his way.

- TEs: Davis 6th, Walker 38th. Walker produces 70% less than the average receiver in his situation, and has the lowest catch % of any qualifying TE in the NFL.

-QB Alex Smith: 14th, better than Aaron Rodgers (!) and worse than Carson Palmer. 8th in "QBR", which is great. *** something to note is that Alex is doing pretty good for the poor pass protection we've gotten so far...I don't know how many are 'on him'. Smith is the 11th best rushing QB, while Kaepernick is #1 by a mile on a per rush basis.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-4-dvoa-ratings

Agreed esp. with the bolded.

Do they factor in the 10+% of dropped passes and 30th in passing attempts?
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM ]
Not surprised, our pass protection is STILL the suxor! Will it ever be fixed?! Maybe it's something in the water. Even the size of the pocket seems small compared to when I watch other teams play.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Loco49er:
Not surprised, our pass protection is STILL the suxor! Will it ever be fixed?! Maybe it's something in the water. Even the size of the pocket seems small compared to when I watch other teams play.

It's Alex's fault.
Originally posted by NCommand:

no. nobody has figured out a way to statistically separate the performance of wide receivers from the performance of a quarterback

No. We drafted run blockers.

We are basically Wisconsin.

No. We drafted run blockers.

We are basically Wisconsin.

I think the OL can be fixed.. and think it is indeed better than it was. (just Boone alone as RG makes it better than it was)

- Gotta get better or just dump the zone blocking... interior OL is not often enough focused/quick to protect their gap assignments.

- Gotta give Staley some help when he's battling the better rushers of the league.

- Gotta give Goodwin a kick in the rear and tell him to play with more passion.. he gets lazy.

- Gotta remind them ALL to play through the whistle and sustain blocks.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
I think the OL can be fixed.. and think it is indeed better than it was. (just Boone alone as RG makes it better than it was)

- Gotta get better or just dump the zone blocking... interior OL is not often enough focused/quick to protect their gap assignments.

- Gotta give Staley some help when he's battling the better rushers of the league.

- Gotta give Goodwin a kick in the rear and tell him to play with more passion.. he gets lazy.

- Gotta remind them ALL to play through the whistle and sustain blocks.

Truff
Originally posted by NCommand:

no. nobody has figured out a way to statistically separate the performance of wide receivers from the performance of a quarterback

Why not, we certainly can. LOL
LOL @ 4-0 AZ being 14th, and Seattle being 11th after losing to AZ.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Oct 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone